Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
For a street driven car it is a non starter as far as I am concerned. You can't buy it out of a pump so you are going to have to mix your own.

Dave

·
Registered
853 Posts
I have ran E30 in my track car on a stage 3 - 93 octane tune with good results. 6 parts 93 octane to 2 parts E85. I've also run 6 parts/gallons of 93 octane to 2 parts/gallons of flex fuel with similar results, on the same 93 octane OTS tune.

·
Registered
853 Posts
It's reliable, as in consistent. My ET stays in the high 12s, even with a higher DA. When I run straight 93 octane, my car is more sensitive to heat and humidity.
I don't know what are the long term effects of running a mix of ethanol and gasoline and/or E30...?? At this time, I am only testing for consistency and performance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
It's reliable, as in consistent. My ET stays in the high 12s, even with a higher DA. When I run straight 93 octane, my car is more sensitive to heat and humidity.
I don't know what are the long term effects of running a mix of ethanol and gasoline and/or E30...?? At this time, I am only testing for consistency and performance.
Gotcha, How long have you been running E30?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Just the last (4) NMRA events; Bradenton FL. Atlanta Georgia, Saint Louis and Cleveland Ohio. Different tracks, different weather conditions, with similar results!

Mid to high 12s, with the stock long block, a few bolt ons, OTS tune and a little ethanol!?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I ran e30 on mine on Unleased's tune. It's great as far as power goes, completely different animal. A little cheaper to fill up than straight 93. But your mileage will suffer since you are using more fuel. I got 28-29 mpg on 93, 23-24 on e30. Dave is right in that it's a pain to travel on. I tested my local station and used an app to mix it. That's pretty simple. I drove to Ohio though a couple months ago though and had to switch to 93 to make it home as I couldn't find a flex fuel station near me.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Don't plan on using E85 in the New England states. There are either none or maybe one or two.

Dave
I have the same problem in East Tennessee. If I want true E85, I purchase it (5gallon cans) from a VP racing fuel dealer. And I get "flex fuel" from a truck stop.
In the beginning I was running a mix equal to E15 or 1 gallon of E85 to a tank 93 octane. That's only 1 can of E85 for 5 tanks of gas, and not hard to mix!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I have the same problem in East Tennessee. If I want true E85, I purchase it (5gallon cans) from a VP racing fuel dealer. And I get "flex fuel" from a truck stop.
In the beginning I was running a mix equal to E15 or 1 gallon of E85 to a tank 93 octane. That's only 1 can of E85 for 5 tanks of gas, and not hard to mix!
We don't have true e 85 here in northern Pa either. We have flex fuel. The only problem with that is that it can be anywhere from 51-83% ethanol by law. Testing the ethanol content every couple tanks is key so that you don't get a wild batch of ethanol. And then adjust your mixture accordingly with the app to compensate. For example, my local flex fuel was 72%. Not a big deal, just took more ethanol than 93 to achieve the same desired (e30) mixture.

Reactions: Coyote Chaser

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ran e30 on mine on Unleased's tune. It's great as far as power goes, completely different animal. A little cheaper to fill up than straight 93. But your mileage will suffer since you are using more fuel. I got 28-29 mpg on 93, 23-24 on e30. Dave is right in that it's a pain to travel on. I tested my local station and used an app to mix it. That's pretty simple. I drove to Ohio though a couple months ago though and had to switch to 93 to make it home as I couldn't find a flex fuel station near me.
Dude just stay in the highest gear possible when traveling it’s not that bad

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Dude just stay in the highest gear possible when traveling it’s not that bad
What's not that bad? I'm not complaining, was just explaining the differences in fuel mileage based on ethanol. And if you stay in the highest gear possible when traveling, you subject your car to excessive lugging. I wouldn't recommend that at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What's not that bad? I'm not complaining, was just explaining the differences in fuel mileage based on ethanol. And if you stay in the highest gear possible when traveling, you subject your car to excessive lugging. I wouldn't recommend that at all.
Well depends what speed your going obviously don’t go WOT in 9th gear but giving it throttle while on the highway or staying in cruise control is definitely okay and will give you great gas mileage

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Well depends what speed your going obviously don’t go WOT in 9th gear but giving it throttle while on the highway or staying in cruise control is definitely okay and will give you great gas mileage
Definitely. I agree. But, for us manual transmission folks, that is a little different. I never thought I was lugging my motor at all until I tuned it and starting monitoring the numbers on the tuner. It doesn't take much to start seeing knock counts in high gear. It probably wasn't extremely detrimental in my case, but I don't take chances either. I changed my driving habits and would downshift to 5th more often on the highway when a slight hill called for it. And at 24 mpg or so on e30, I was still thrilled with my mileage. Just simply stating that higher ethanol gas does not have the same energy potential as pure gas. It takes more ethanol gas to achieve the same combustion rate as lower / zero ethanol.

Reactions: Coyote Chaser
1 - 18 of 18 Posts