1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
909 Posts
Just received this from ford authority about Ebay not allowing the sale of emission defeat items like tuners, race only items either on or off toad, ETC. Thanks to the EPA commie tyrants.

eBay Quietly Bans The Sale Of Emissions Control Defeat Devices (fordauthority.com)

BD
Saw that on M6G too. So what, really... R&T recently came across a post in a private Facebook group from a user... Yeah, you're not on Facebook, but you might as well be. This may or may not even be a story.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure if it is true or not since your correct, I do not do any social media at all ever since I have no need for any of it.

As always time will tell if there is any truth in this, but I suspect it will eventually happen if it has not already. Ebay is not our friend.

BD

Reactions: Coyote Chaser

·
Registered
909 Posts
Not sure if it is true or not since your correct, I do not do any social media at all ever since I have no need for any of it.

As always time will tell if there is any truth in this, but I suspect it will eventually happen if it has not already. Ebay is not our friend.

BD
Right, but eBay's not our advocate either. They're just a platform to sell stuff, and they don't want to get into trouble for enabling potentially suspect transactions. I personally believe that if the EPA makes a rule, they should be able to reasonably enforce it. Still, I might not like it either. Tuning for the street should not be about defeating emissions.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right, but eBay's not our advocate either. They're just a platform to sell stuff, and they don't want to get into trouble for enabling potentially suspect transactions. I personally believe that if the EPA makes a rule, they should be able to reasonably enforce it. Still, I might not like it either. Tuning for the street should not be about defeating emissions.
I agree that Ebay is just a sales platform and must protect themselves, but I remember a few years ago they banned all sales of airguns by new sellers but allowed established sellers to continue to sell airguns even though there are no federal regulations concerning the sale of airguns. Then they changed their stance due to public response to the ruling. It's the same scenario with any company that sells an item in that they are not responsible for the end users' actions or use of purchased items.

The EPA is a regulatory agency not an enforcement agency so as such cannot and should not be allowed/tasked with enforcement of the regulations. I will not go further into this rabbit hole of personnel beliefs/opinions.

BD

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Being north of the border, I don’t have in-depth knowledge of the rules down there, but it seems to me that an Accessport is not illegal, as there is no prohibition against their manufacture nor the original maker selling them. The use of same would not necessarily alter the emissions of the car outside of the allowable limits, presuming one is driving on the street as opposed to “off road use only”, and even if one did, the enforcement should be left to the agency which has authority. Now, a catless downpipe, that would be a different story. While we got rid of air testing in Ontario, when it became more trouble than it was worth as older polluters left the road, that would be the knee jerk reaction (and I understand that there are testing States already), although I imagine it would tick a lot of people off, given the percentage of vehicles which are not legal would be pretty small.

·
Registered
49 Posts

BD
I left all social/antisocial media a couple years ago, so I feel the same. News of ebay restricting sales like this doesn't shock me. I figured this was coming a couple years ago...shocked it took this long for it to happen actually. At one point I was a powerseller there, and last Christmas season I checked and I'm still listed as a top 50 reviewer on ebay even though I left the platform and stopped using both it and Paypal in 2016 after having too many issues with buyer scams pulled on me that Paypal allowed to happen. I used to deal in collectibles and music memorabilia. I haven't sold anything on that platform since 2016, and I stopped buying stuff there around 2018. I haven't used Paypal for anything, anywhere for that long. If anyone's curious, if you wanna read some of the stuff I've written there, look up: Fly2112bynight2rock. That was my old account.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I agree that Ebay is just a sales platform and must protect themselves, but I remember a few years ago they banned all sales of airguns by new sellers but allowed established sellers to continue to sell airguns even though there are no federal regulations concerning the sale of airguns. Then they changed their stance due to public response to the ruling. It's the same scenario with any company that sells an item in that they are not responsible for the end users' actions or use of purchased items.

The EPA is a regulatory agency not an enforcement agency so as such cannot and should not be allowed/tasked with enforcement of the regulations. I will not go further into this rabbit hole of personnel beliefs/opinions.

BD
I do know where you're coming from. I just don't get too worked up about many things. Sharing my opinions on traditional social media never felt right to me, because who do I think should care? Sure, this is a little bit of sharing, but it's specific to a hopefully interested audience...

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do know where you're coming from. I just don't get too worked up about many things. Sharing my opinions on traditional social media never felt right to me, because who do I think should care? Sure, this is a little bit of sharing, but it's specific to a hopefully interested audience...
I agree with all you say as well, I just have never had any social media account of any kind ever in my life and have no need of them. I am old skool in that I do face to face, phone calls, texts, emails, and some forums that have intertest to me and that's it. My wife does fakebook but is very limited in only with friends/family and does not do any groups at all.

I see social media as a major reason for the issues in the world today but that's just my perception also.

Let the discussion continue.

BD

·
Registered
49 Posts
I agree with all you say as well, I just have never had any social media account of any kind ever in my life and have no need of them. I am old skool in that I do face to face, phone calls, texts, emails, and some forums that have intertest to me and that's it. My wife does fakebook but is very limited in only with friends/family and does not do any groups at all.

I see social media as a major reason for the issues in the world today but that's just my perception also.

Let the discussion continue.

BD
I'd voluntarily swim in an active sewer before signing onto Facepalm again... And I'm one of the 75% of Americans that's never once tweeted like a blue bird. The only one of the bunch I used that I miss at times is Reddit, but even it got toxic and hateful. My mental health has increased not constantly reaching for the instant gratification and dopamine hits from those sites. I tell people, at one time in my life, I didn't realize it, but I was a member of a cult...and when I realized the Kool-Aid was poisonous for me I got lucky and found the way out!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd voluntarily swim in an active sewer before signing onto Facepalm again... And I'm one of the 75% of Americans that's never once tweeted like a blue bird. The only one of the bunch I used that I miss at times is Reddit, but even it got toxic and hateful. My mental health has increased not constantly reaching for the instant gratification and dopamine hits from those sites. I tell people, at one time in my life, I didn't realize it, but I was a member of a cult...and when I realized the Kool-Aid was poisonous for me I got lucky and found the way out!
I just never drank the Kool-Aid at all so never experienced any addiction. I knew I was not missing anything worth experiencing as well.

I just do not like change but realize everything is always going to change unfortunately. Now just mostly for the worst IMO.

BD

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
Odd thing about not being able to sell your accessport. The primary reason I originally purchased mine, was to data log! If you list it as a data logger, will they let you sell it?

Reactions: Buldawg76

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Odd thing about not being able to sell your accessport. The primary reason I originally purchased mine, was to data log! If you list it as a data logger, will they let you sell it?
Likely will not be able use the name "Cobb" or accessport or other key words in the listing without it being flagged.

BD

·
Registered
2,336 Posts

BD
Here is a quote from www.epa.gov/enforcement.

EPA has explicit authority to enforce the law and assess fines at federal facilities violating environmental statutes including the: Clean Air Act. Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA)

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
785 Posts
Here is a quote from www.epa.gov/enforcement.

EPA has explicit authority to enforce the law and assess fines at federal facilities violating environmental statutes including the: Clean Air Act. Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA)
Operative takeaway being they have enforcement powers, but... the conditional in that sentence "at federal facilities violating environmental statutes" limits that enforcement to federal facilities.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Operative takeaway being they have enforcement powers, but... the conditional in that sentence "at federal facilities violating environmental statutes" limits that enforcement to federal facilities.
Another quote from EPA.gov

Enforcing environmental laws is a central part of EPA's Strategic Plan to protect human health and the environment. EPA works to ensure compliance with environmental requirements. When warranted, EPA will take civil or criminal enforcement action against violators of environmental laws.

As much as everyone would like to think that they have no enforcement authority they do and they are starting to aggressively go after violators.

With a few exceptions like the Ford Performance tune that has been tested and received an exemption all tunes and the devices that allow you to modify the factory tune are plain and simply illegal whether you live in a state that tests or not. Whether they actually impact the emissions or not is not relevant, to be legal they would have to have been tested and received an exemption.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The new post crackdown Cobb tuners have met the CARB certification standards, so they are legal. in all 50 states.

EMISSIONS
50 State Legal.
This part is legal for sale and use on Emissions Controlled Vehicles in all 50 states when used in accordance with the manufacturer's application guide because it has a California Air Resources Board (CARB) Executive Order (EO) number:
D-660-6
D-660-80
D-660-120

COBB Tuning - Accessport V3 for Ford Mustang EcoBoost

BD

1 - 20 of 34 Posts