Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
3,836 Posts
What Joshua said.

87 Octane "regular" gas will decrease the power output of the engine, but it'll run on it.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
When we purchased our 2018 Ecoboost Mustang, my Wife was the primary driver and she filled the tank with 87 octane and averaged close to 30 miles to the gallon. When I drove it, I would run it in Sport mode and fill the tank with 93 octane and average 32 miles to the gallon, plus the bonus of "Smiles per mile"! The car just seemed more aggressive and fun with 93 octane.
However, our Ecoboost Fusion ran on 87 octane for the first 70,000 miles of it's life with zero problems and I've just started to run 89 octane (or E15 when available) and have switched to a low sodium, low calcium motor oil in hope, to extend the life of the car and continue to be able to drive it for many years!

Reactions: johnnybee

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
As above. The owner's manual has a huge "87" printed on the appropriate page letting you know that you can use it, and then below buried in regular print it states that if you want better performance to use 91 or higher.

·
Registered
513 Posts
87 is minimum octane for the Eco. But i will add. While not the Mustang Ecoboost. A friend has an edge and he was telling me how it seemed to be bucking and hesitant at times especially when accelerating. I hooked up my live scan tool and we road around. It was knocking something fierce and having huge ignition corrections. I asked him what fuel he has been running he stated 87 per dealership. I encouraged him to atleast run 89 preferably 91+. He filled witha tank 91 it cleared up and has been running 89 since with no problems. This wasn't a case of a single bad fill of 87 or a bad station. He said it was happening for weeks and filling up wherever he was and needed to.

While the requiremented minimum is 87 and many have ran it perfectly fine. I personally wouldn't as there is that off chance yours won't like it as his didn't. As always with vehicles YMMV

·
Registered
842 Posts
My 2019 Edge ran just fine on 87 for 23,000 miles, but now that I traded for a 2020 mustang eco it gets fed 93 only. I may try 87 just to see the differences one day.

BD

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
FWIW, the 2.3 Ecoboost in the Bronco is rated at 300HP on premium and 275HP on regular. Same with my Ranger. The wording in the owners manual is similar to the Mustang but it implies that Regular 87 is the fuel to use and premium can be used for added performance and for towing

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
I ran my 2019 Ecoboost on 93 octane for the first month or two and then switched to 87 octane (regular) and I can't really see the difference. I drive in mostly urban and light city traffic. I think I'll just leave it there and enjoy the drive.

·
Registered
2017 PP MT DD
1,274 Posts
Never put anything other then 98 in it even told the garage don't fill the tank ill do it thanks when I bought her. Infact I've never run anything less then 98 for as long as I can remember. I just see anything less is dirty. 100 is available over here in a few places and I put that in when I can.

·
Administrator
6,658 Posts
A friend has an edge and he was telling me how it seemed to be bucking and hesitant at times especially when accelerating. I hooked up my live scan tool and we road around. It was knocking something fierce and having huge ignition corrections. I asked him what fuel he has been running he stated 87 per dealership. I encouraged him to atleast run 89 preferably 91+. He filled witha tank 91 it cleared up and has been running 89 since with no problems. This wasn't a case of a single bad fill of 87 or a bad station. He said it was happening for weeks and filling up wherever he was and needed to.
I found the same thing with my Flex. Strange, it loves the E15 (88 RON) ... purrs like a kitten on that.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Never put anything other then 98 in it even told the garage don't fill the tank ill do it thanks when I bought her. Infact I've never run anything less then 98 for as long as I can remember. I just see anything less is dirty. 100 is available over here in a few places and I put that in when I can.
Man wish we could still get 98 or 100 here in the states. I remember back when Sunoco stations were prevalent, and you could get 100 readily. We used to have a local station here that sold 100 race fuel out of the pump, but it is long gone.
BD

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Man wish we could still get 98 or 100 here in the states. I remember back when Sunoco stations were prevalent, and you could get 100 readily. We used to have a local station here that sold 100 race fuel out of the pump, but it is long gone.
BD
Note, Horcy1 is in Australia, where octane is calculate differently. The 98 RON octane that he refers to is equivalent to 93 in North America.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Note, Horcy1 is in Australia, where octane is calculate differently. The 98 RON octane that he refers to is equivalent to 93 in North America.
Ok makes sense. I still remember being able to get Sunoco 260 fuel at their stations which of course was leaded gas, but it was 100 octane and only 60 cents per gallon. Gas was 25 cent per gallon when I started driving in the early 70s.

It was like 10 years ago that we had one station that sold 100 unleaded at the pump for 4.50 per gallon, My 76 and 77 year model hot rodded bikes loved it and had such a sweet smell out the exhaust.

BD

·
Registered
2016 ecoboost premium
121 Posts
i run a minimum of 91 but i usually fill with 94 but its hard to find anything above 91 up in canada. i fill up at a gas station 30 mins away from my house because they sell 94 without ethanol

·
Registered
842 Posts
We have 93 here everywhere and even regular 87 ethanol free at most stations. There is one place about 30 miles away that also has 93 ethanol free so when in the area I fill up there but mainly use 93 with 10% ethanol since its prevalent everywhere.

We have a gran prix track close by that I can buy 110 race leaded gas for 10 bucks a gallon to use in my old hi po street bikes that are pre-emission vehicles. The KZ1000 ex drag bike loves it. Can also buy VP race fuels at local parts houses in leaded and lead free at various octane levels for off road use only of course.

BD

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
i run a minimum of 91 but i usually fill with 94 but its hard to find anything above 91 up in canada. i fill up at a gas station 30 mins away from my house because they sell 94 without ethanol
I actually have a Petrocan (ex Sunoco) near me that still sells 94. Never put it in. I run 91 (I ran 93 at the outset of covid when it dropped to something around a buck a litre) because its ethanol free and being stock the car is happy on it.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I actually have a Petrocan (ex Sunoco) near me that still sells 94. Never put it in. I run 91 (I ran 93 at the outset of covid when it dropped to something around a buck a litre) because its ethanol free and being stock the car is happy on it.

I haven't seen a Sunoco station in the southeast USA in many many years, I know there are still some out there. Yes, pre covid 93 was under 2 bucks a gallon here till the two pipelines got shutdown. Wish we had ethanol free high test prevalent here now but only 87 is prevalent.

BD

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.