Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Lowside fuel pressure sensor almost claimed another victim for the second time....

Customer had reached out to us to see if we had an engine to get him back up and running quick. We just so happen to have a fresh drop-out from a customers Ecoboost Mustang. Did a headgasket/studs and Precision Drop-In Turbo upgrade and shipped it out to him.

He got it all in and I gave him things to look out for to see if the low pressure sensor that I posted about the other day might have been the cause of failure previously.

Sure enough, he got everything back together and did a test log and the fuel pressure plummeted and the car went dead lean.

If I didn't catch this the other day and gathered the signs he might have been dealing with yet another engine failure.

Here is a link I found where Ford did a recall because they were "leaking". Not sure if they actually were leaking but by design it would almost be impossible for it to leak unless the o-ring wasn't in the threaded portion which I can't really see happening.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2014/RCONL-14V774-8785.pdf

Looks like the Ford recalled requested dealers to install a new fuel line part number# FR3Z-9J280-A

However it looks like this line was superseded by a new part number but I'll have to get that tomorrow.

Here are the symptoms to look out for. I figured I would post it again so we can try and cut down the amount of emails we are getting.

Check engine lights related to lowside fuel pressure sensor:

- P0148
- P018C
- P018D

If you are having stumbling issues while getting into boost or the car is feeling "boggy" you might want to check the following things:

- Add "Lowside FP Actual" to your Cobb Gauges. If it doesn't read at all (0-10psi), is stuck on a number and doesn't fluctuate, or reading in the 100+ range during idle and cruising. YOUR SENSOR IS BAD.
- If it seems to read correctly (70-80psi) then set a gauge to HPFP Command and slightly get into boost. If it pegs 100% in low boost situations. YOUR SENSOR IS BAD.
- Add "FRP Actual" and "FRP Desired" To your gauges and slightly get into boost. If your desired goes into the 2000psi+ range and your actual drops to 100-300psi. YOUR SENSOR IS BAD.

These are the FOR SURE ways to test to see if your sensor is bad. Originally it looked like if it read 100psi+ on lowside pressure actual it was bad but I have came across instances where lowside was reading normal but the sensor was still faulty. It is best to do ALL THREE test to confirm your sensor is good, and to look elsewhere if you are having issues. EVEN IF YOU AREN'T HAVING ISSUES IT IS GOOD TO CHECK!

If you can get the sensor off without stripping it you can replace it with part number BU5Z-9F972-B. If you cannot get the sensor out without stripping it you will need the complete line part number FR3Z-9J280-A.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Lowside fuel pressure sensor almost claimed another victim for the second time....

Customer had reached out to us to see if we had an engine to get him back up and running quick. We just so happen to have a fresh drop-out from a customers Ecoboost Mustang. Did a headgasket/studs and Precision Drop-In Turbo upgrade and shipped it out to him.

He got it all in and I gave him things to look out for to see if the low pressure sensor that I posted about the other day might have been the cause of failure previously.

Sure enough, he got everything back together and did a test log and the fuel pressure plummeted and the car went dead lean.

If I didn't catch this the other day and gathered the signs he might have been dealing with yet another engine failure.

Here is a link I found where Ford did a recall because they were "leaking". Not sure if they actually were leaking but by design it would almost be impossible for it to leak unless the o-ring wasn't in the threaded portion which I can't really see happening.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2014/RCONL-14V774-8785.pdf

Looks like the Ford recalled requested dealers to install a new fuel line part number# FR3Z-9J280-A

However it looks like this line was superseded by a new part number but I'll have to get that tomorrow.

Here are the symptoms to look out for. I figured I would post it again so we can try and cut down the amount of emails we are getting.

Check engine lights related to lowside fuel pressure sensor:

- P0148
- P018C
- P018D

If you are having stumbling issues while getting into boost or the car is feeling "boggy" you might want to check the following things:

- Add "Lowside FP Actual" to your Cobb Gauges. If it doesn't read at all (0-10psi), is stuck on a number and doesn't fluctuate, or reading in the 100+ range during idle and cruising. YOUR SENSOR IS BAD.
- If it seems to read correctly (70-80psi) then set a gauge to HPFP Command and slightly get into boost. If it pegs 100% in low boost situations. YOUR SENSOR IS BAD.
- Add "FRP Actual" and "FRP Desired" To your gauges and slightly get into boost. If your desired goes into the 2000psi+ range and your actual drops to 100-300psi. YOUR SENSOR IS BAD.

These are the FOR SURE ways to test to see if your sensor is bad. Originally it looked like if it read 100psi+ on lowside pressure actual it was bad but I have came across instances where lowside was reading normal but the sensor was still faulty. It is best to do ALL THREE test to confirm your sensor is good, and to look elsewhere if you are having issues. EVEN IF YOU AREN'T HAVING ISSUES IT IS GOOD TO CHECK!

If you can get the sensor off without stripping it you can replace it with part number BU5Z-9F972-B. If you cannot get the sensor out without stripping it you will need the complete line part number FR3Z-9J280-A.

Hi have been looking at this with interest. From info I have seen the old part number which is supposed to be faulty is BU5Z-9F972-BA the new part is BU5Z-9F972-CA. I actually contacted my dealer and asked if there had been any TSB or recalls and they informed me that there had not. I don’t think I have any symptoms but wondering how serious this could be if it fails. How are people blowing up engines with this part being faulty?

·
Super Moderator
6,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
The incredibly simplified answer.
The engine is getting a false rich signal, and not pulling timing when the sensor is failing to report the issue.
Lean running engine pre-detonates and that causes catastrophic failure with pistons, rods and cylinders.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The engine is getting a false rich signal, and not pulling timing when the sensor is failing to report the issue.
Lean running engine pre-detonates and that causes catastrophic failure with pistons, rods and cylinders.

Love you guys, always prompt responses and informative..

One question, if this was failing I am assuming you would hear knocking quite frequently. My dealers says their is no issue when questioned about it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Excuse me being a bit thick here. But how do I post something new without having to populate other members names to post.. I.e. if I wanted to ask a general question out to the whole forum?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Other ford vehicle owners are having problems too.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
I have no doubt that these sensors are failing but I am not convinced that the version marked "CA" is in some way an improved design.

The fact that the "BA" marked part has been in constant use in all Ford gasoline engines since 2011 and still is in 18 cars. It's a known fact that Motorcraft does not necessarily purchase parts it sells for replacement use from the same sources as the factory does. I am of the mind that the "CA" part is just from a different supplier since it still comes in packaging marked with the "BA" partnumber. Prior to 2011 the part was marked "AA" and if you look it up on any of the Ford parts sites it will say it was superceded by the "BA" part. You do not find any references to the "CA" part.

Plus Cobb stated not to use the Accessport to monitor the low side fuel pressure because the PID doesn't work correctly.

It may very well turn out that the CA part is an updated version and Ford wants to use up inventory before updating part numbers and you see it showing up in vehicles. If that is the case they must not think the failures that are occuring are significant enough to warrant cutting it in sooner.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Plus Cobb stated not to use the Accessport to monitor the low side fuel pressure because the PID doesn't work correctly.
Specifically asked Cobb this question since I could not find it on the site anywhere.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have no doubt that these sensors are failing but I am not convinced that the version marked "CA" is in some way an improved design.

The fact that the "BA" marked part has been in constant use in all Ford gasoline engines since 2011 and still is in 18 cars. It's a known fact that Motorcraft does not necessarily purchase parts it sells for replacement use from the same sources as the factory does. I am of the mind that the "CA" part is just from a different supplier since it still comes in packaging marked with the "BA" partnumber. Prior to 2011 the part was marked "AA" and if you look it up on any of the Ford parts sites it will say it was superceded by the "BA" part. You do not find any references to the "CA" part.

It may very well turn out that the CA part is an updated version and Ford wants to use up inventory before updating part numbers and you see it showing up in vehicles. If that is the case they must not think the failures that are occuring are significant enough to warrant cutting it in sooner.

Dave
The issue her for me is the forum seems to suggest replacing the sensor even if has not failed yet. Now Ford UK have not issued any TSB or Recall, so suggest there is nothing to worry about. In addition if people are replacing it with the same part, what’s the point?

I have not experienced any issues with my 2017 Mustang so I am inclined not to replace it. Now I might be missing the point here or I have the wrong end of the stick, but there seems to be no evidence that the part is actually defective in some way which is imminently going to fail. As you point out this has been used for many years and is in many other vehicles.

Love this Forum great debates to ensure clarity.

Thoughts?

FYI
I have contacted Ford and CA is the latest part for that sensor. They have quoted me £65 for the prt. They have not confirmed it’s modified. Dealer did not actually know.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
That price is crazy. You can order if from Ebay for about $20. Even if they have to fly it across the pond it shouldn't cost that much.
FYI
I have contacted Ford and CA is the latest part for that sensor. They have quoted me £65 for the prt. They have not confirmed it’s modified. Dealer did not actually know.

·
Registered
321 Posts
837A23B5-0AB9-4323-B828-369D9CEB1541.jpeg
That price is crazy. You can order if from Ebay for about $20. Even if they have to fly it across the pond it shouldn't cost that much.
Yes you are right, but here in the UK we seem to get ripped of for everything. Petrol is astronomical see the pic. Prices are per litre. Unleaded is 95 octane and super is 97 octaine.

·
Super Moderator
6,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Specifically asked Cobb this question since I could not find it on the site anywhere.
Here is the answer from Cobb:
Hey Jim,

Thanks for contacting COBB Support!

Curious where you read that info? We have solved that issue a while back so no worries, you can feel free to use that monitor if you wish.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

·
Super Moderator
6,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Excuse me being a bit thick here. But how do I post something new without having to populate other members names to post.. I.e. if I wanted to ask a general question out to the whole forum?
Find the index of the appropriate section for your message and in the top right there is a "post new thread" button. Press it, give the post a title and enter your message. You'll write a public message in the appropriate section.
upload_2018-7-31_20-42-5.png

·
Super Moderator
6,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
The issue her for me is the forum seems to suggest replacing the sensor even if has not failed yet. Now Ford UK have not issued any TSB or Recall, so suggest there is nothing to worry about. In addition if people are replacing it with the same part, what’s the point?

I have not experienced any issues with my 2017 Mustang so I am inclined not to replace it. Now I might be missing the point here or I have the wrong end of the stick, but there seems to be no evidence that the part is actually defective in some way which is imminently going to fail. As you point out this has been used for many years and is in many other vehicles.

Love this Forum great debates to ensure clarity.

Thoughts?

FYI
I've not changed my sensor either. I monitor it with the Cobb Accessport and there is good activity. I don't generally replace parts unless they are faulty or there is an actual TSB or something on them, which there is not in this case. There have been failures of the sensor, there has been replacements out there, however mine seems to be working and I do keep an eye on it, more especially when I'm on the track.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've not changed my sensor either. I monitor it with the Cobb Accessport and there is good activity. I don't generally replace parts unless they are faulty or there is an actual TSB or something on them, which there is not in this case. There have been failures of the sensor, there has been replacements out there, however mine seems to be working and I do keep an eye on it, more especially when I'm on the track.
Thanks for the input. Most of the time I read that people are changing them immediately and I wonder if there are those that are a bit more comfortable staying the course. It seems that everyone's just scared and rushing to replace it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Just as an update. I have a friend who works for Ford Europe and I had him check it out for me. This is what he said to me. “The part you want is BU5A-9F972-CA if you BA fitted change it”.Although ford have not put anything official out.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Awesome info! Just curious tho....anybody know if this is applicable for 2017 models or was this rectified? I don't see any TSB's for this for my model year
I have a friend in Ford Europe he says that Ford have not put anything out regards this. But he said this “The part you want is BU5A-9F972-CA if you BA fitted change it.”

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
My OE sensor seemed to be working just fine too, and I was keeping an eye on it. Then it occurred to me that for $20 and five minutes work, I wouldn't have to keep an eye on it, and that would make driving more fun. Time and money well spent, for me.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Appreciate the link to the video! Finally got myself an account on this forum. Lots of good info in this thread.
Glad to see you finally found us! Been watching your videos and am a subscriber. Lots of great info and help from different perspectives.

Reactions: ImAnthony

·
Registered
4 Posts
New to this forum. Bought my car 1 week ago Friday (2015 premium convertible). After reading through this thread I ordered one off e-bay for $23. For such a small cost, why risk it?

It sound like some of those who had issues didn't get a CEL warning before failure. I haven't dropped the $500 on a COBB because it's bone stock right now so I have no way of monitoring this PID, so this small investment is worth it.

Any other "Do this now to avoid potential issues" suggestions with these motors? Oil catch can maybe?

61 - 80 of 102 Posts