Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Received my "2.3T" in the mail today. Everything I expected! In fact after I install it, I may order the Pony to switch out for shows. Installation tomorrow, another almost 60 degree day. This is a quality piece of work.
Thank you Bob.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
This is a quality piece of work.
Agreed. Have gotten so many sincere compliments when I pop the hood. Like I said...this is gonna force me to keep my engine bay clean, and probably augment with a few other 'dress ups'.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
You guys are almost making me wish I still had my cover on. @ek2precision, let us know if you decide to make any other kind of badge.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Finally warmed up enough to work in the garage. Here is a photo of the 2.3T. I used a small piece of double sided tape to hold it place while I drilled pilot holes. Removed it and then did the final drilling.
Engine Vehicle Motor vehicle Auto part Car

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Go Further, I think your idea of vacuum forming the ABS is a great idea, the only thing I would suggest is maybe hydro print carbon fiber or actually vacuum infuse a carbon cover just like your ABS jobbie. not sure of the market on this stuff... bling is always good but I have some F-150 fuse covers that are sitting idle and just simply wont move at all and they are selling for almost raw material costs on ebay. very sad. this stuff is pretty hit and miss. I like the welded aluminum sheet they sell but they are pretty expensive and justified but still for an ugly ass clear tank they could have done so much better.

hmmmm. what about an acrylic tube with aluminum ends? seems overkill to get the yellow tank out the way though.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Looks great and a nice unique addition!
Now all you need to do is get a cover for that ugly age-stained coolant tank that spoils everything :)
See my post here;
https://www.mustangecoboost.net/threads/go-furthers-2017-oxford-white-build.17565/page-3#post-181559
Yeah, my res looks not great. Didn't help that the previous owner seemingly didn't flush the coolant for 40k miles either. However $150 for a mishimoto or equivalent steel tank, or those expensive plastic covers... if there was something for less than $50 I'd do it. Painting it wrinkle black would be kinda sick though, might do that. Or maybe purple metallic vht paint.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Do you know if anyone has had success simply painting it?
I saw a photo post somewhere, where the owner had painted his without removing it from the car. (so not to lose the coolant).
He unscrewed the two bolts holding it in place, raised it with two rods on either side then placed plastic sheeting under it and masked up the rest of the engine bay.
Seemed like a lot of trouble to go to though... I would simply remove the large rubber hose under it, drain the tank, remove and paint it off the car, and replenish the coolant with fresh stuff.

He painted it black, leaving a small area on the side masked up to be his 'sight line' for being able to see the coolant level.

Just one can of spray paint needed... So a cheap mod.

It came up alright and is certainly a cheaper option to replacing it or getting an ABS black cover as I did.

Reactions: gatornek

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks EK2Precision!!! Just got my plate and it's awesome! This is a real bargain at just $30, can't wait to put it on my cover (still doing the painting and all).

Thanks again,
Don

Attachments

Reactions: Go Further

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks to EK2Precision for giving me the font used on the SVO plates, I was able to make matching rear trunk lip decals in the same font :). Check out mah branding!

If anyone wants one let me know, I'll send these out for $2 a piece. I only have 3 more black carbon fiber ones left. I have about 25 different regular colors available including white carbon fiber, and for an additional cost I can get any other color you want too, including chrome metallics, and body colors if I can find the right vinyl codes.

Also, if you want any of EK2Precision's other designs I could make those as well, I'd just need a black and white image of the design outline.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
634 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Actually came out really nice! Just filed the edges a bit to get it to sit flat on the ledge. Used black paint for the engraved image, came out great! Awesome piece of work and really inexpensive for the quality! Just have to finish painting the cover now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Glad you gents are happy! thanks for the pics! I have a few ready to go in all 4 designs so pm me or search on ebay for them! they are a little cheaper here though.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Actually came out really nice! Just filed the edges a bit to get it to sit flat on the ledge. Used black paint for the engraved image, came out great! Awesome piece of work and really inexpensive for the quality! Just have to finish painting the cover now.
I imagine you used some black metallic paint, but what did you use to trace the line? A really fine tipped paintbrush? I would be so worried about smearing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I imagine you used some black metallic paint, but what did you use to trace the line? A really fine tipped paintbrush? I would be so worried about smearing.
Pretty simple, really. Just used a lightly diluted enamel paint (scale model type), brushed it along the engraved lines and let it dry until it was slighty tacky. Then used a very flat cloth, and using very little paint remover, just light rubbed along the surface removing the excess paint. Then, again using a flat cloth and very minute amounts of fine polish, I polished the flat surface of the plate. The trick is once you get the black paint in the lines, you never want anything else to get in there afterwards.

Don

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
very flat cloth
to be sure, youre talking about a cotton cloth, and not paper towel, right?

t-shirt? terry cloth? just any old rag cotton cloth? Just tryin to think what would be best from NOT sinking into those lines.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts