Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I have a stock mustang ecoboost with a cool air intake and a full straight pipe (mufflers cat and resonator delete) (Check engine light is on) If I get a downpipe will that make my car louder, and take away my check engine light? and will it affect my engine in a positive or negative way?

·
Registered
707 Posts
First priority should be an OBD reader to check the code behind that CEL. My guess is you will find it to be related to O2 sensor. You indicated that you deleted mufflers, resonator, and cat, but if you still have the OEM downpipe, then you still have a cat. Replacing the downpipe with either a non-cat or race cat aftermarket downpipe WILL make the car louder, but will NOT take away the CEL. Changing the OEM exhaust flow characteristics and O2 sensors ability to read properly WILL affect your engine in a negative way unless tuning is performed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got a full straight pipe so all 3 are gone. What should I do If I want my car even louder but with no negative affection and if im correct, tuning the car with the correct tune will erase the CEL?

·
Registered
697 Posts
I put a 3" inch Dougs electric exhaust cutout on mine 18 inches past the last oxygen sensor. I have a switch on the dash so I can turn it wide open when I want to. That's pretty much as loud as it can get and you can still go back to kind of quiet when you want to.

Reactions: Coyote Chaser

·
Registered
2016 Mustang Ecoboost, 6-speed manual, premium
43 Posts
Get a 90 degree elbow O2 sensor extension bung and it should get rid of the CEL

Reactions: Coyote Chaser

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Get a 90 degree elbow O2 sensor extension bung and it should get rid of the CEL
I have gotten 6 codes since i have deleted my cat. P0010, P0013, P0135, P0141, P0443, and P0446, are those related to the o2 sensor being out and will getting an offroad downpipe and installing o2 sensor extension work getting rid of the CEL?

·
Administrator
3,670 Posts
P0010 is a generic OBD-II code indicating a camshaft timing issue.
P0013 is the OBD-II generic code indicating a camshaft position error in the oil control valve
P0135 and P0141 are errors in the upstream O2 sensor heater circuit.
P0443 is an error in the purge control valve
P0446 is an error in the evap control system vent control

Google is your friend...

You need to see an actual mechanic. From all of this nothing we tell you here will resolve all of your issues. Maybe take your stock exhaust components with you if all of this started after you started messing with the exhaust. No, an O2 sensor extension won't get rid of all of these codes. The O2 sensor extender goes on the downstream O2 sensor, and none of these are for that one.

Of course you've said in the other thread you've asked similar questions in that you've deleted the cat, but then asked about installing a different downpipe. We're still not sure if you've gone to a catless downpipe or not because of the way you've stated these things. If you've "deleted the cat" then you have an offroad downpipe already.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Dude, you have a cat. The fact that you are talking about replacing the downpipe tells us that. Here is the image posted by @zhent from the other thread where you posted identical questions. See that big can on the OEM downpipe? That is your cat. The shiny new aftermarket downpipe above it has NO cat. Do you see the difference? Now go out to your car, pop the hood, and look in that corner of the engine compartment on the passenger side between the turbo and firewall. If you look straight down you will see your cat below the O2 sensor.

I have gotten 6 codes since i have deleted my cat. P0010, P0013, P0135, P0141, P0443, and P0446, are those related to the o2 sensor being out and will getting an offroad downpipe and installing o2 sensor extension work getting rid of the CEL?
From the codes and the content of all your posts, I suspect you hacked up your exhaust and either removed or damaged you O2 sensors. Not sure what else you might have touched also. Then you decided to thrash the car because it "sounded better" after removing your resonator and mufflers. Unfortunately, the PCM's in these cars are sensitive to changes like removing/damaging sensors, changes in intake, exhaust, and fuel flow, boost, etc.. because they use maps with values that correspond to expected characteristics of the engine components. This is where tuning comes in to update those maps to match the new engine components. The PCM can only compensate for so much before things start to go very wrong and we can only hope that they don't relate to damage caused after all the hacking. My last suggestion to you would be to park it, reverse as much of what you did to the car as you can, then start researching the codes and work to diagnose and clear them. @zhent gave you a good head start on that by providing the code descriptions. If this is beyond you, bring it to a reputable shop, dealer, friend, anybody that can actually help you in person.

We love to help people on this forum, as long as they demonstrate they are willing to listen and learn. I'm not talking about opinions here, but hard facts. Asking the same questions over and over and in slightly different ways while ignoring the responses from the very people trying to help will not benefit you or anyone else.
Automotive exhaust Bumper Nickel Composite material Bicycle part

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Okay so I have a stock mustang ecoboost with a cool air intake and a full straight pipe (mufflers cat and resonator delete) (Check engine light is on) If I get a downpipe will that make my car louder, and take away my check engine light? and will it affect my engine in a positive or negative way?
If you have a homemade DIY downpipe, (as I did) your going to have to weld in a pair of threaded female outlets and install the OEM sensors in them (as I did).
Disclaimer: I later found a professional namebrand (3") downpipe on eBay for $100 shipped. I purchased it, and installed it, and am still running it, with zero problems!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a full straight pipe exhaust system. No cat, mufflers, or resonators. Is it necessary to get a catless downpipe and would there even be a difference in what I have now? I want my car as loud as it can get.

-2016 mustang ecoboost

·
Administrator
3,670 Posts
I have a full straight pipe exhaust system. No cat, mufflers, or resonators. Is it necessary to get a catless downpipe and would there even be a difference in what I have now? I want my car as loud as it can get.

-2016 mustang ecoboost
No.

Just No.

Do not create another thread to ask the same question because you don't like the answers we've already given you. From here on out, every time you ask this it's going to get merged with this thread.

We want to help you, but you're making it more difficult.

Please take some pictures of your current exhaust. get underneath and take photos of the muffler deletes, the resonator delete and most importantly the cat delete. Until you do we're going to continue to doubt that you have what you're claiming. Especially since if you have a cat delete YOU ALREADY HAVE A CATLESS DOWNPIPE.

As a final point, this is a 4 cylinder turbo car, not a V8. It's never going to sound like a V8, and it's never going to be as loud as a V8 car.

Reactions: KewlWinter

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No.

Just No.

Do not create another thread to ask the same question because you don't like the answers we've already given you. From here on out, every time you ask this it's going to get merged with this thread.

Please take some pictures of your current exhaust. get underneath and take photos of the muffler deletes, the resonator delete and most importantly the cat delete. Until you do we're going to continue to doubt that you have what you're claiming. Especially since if you have a cat delete YOU ALREADY HAVE A CATLESS DOWNPIPE.

As a final point, this is a 4 cylinder turbo car, not a V8. It's never going to sound like a V8, and it's never going to be as loud as a V8 car.
"YOU ALREADY HAVE A CATLESS DOWNPIPE." thank you for the solid straight answer I wasnt getting. Im new to forums and cars so theres no reason to be a complete dick about it. You should do your job as a moderator and help people out and inform them as much as possible before you snap lol. Complete childish reply that you just gave me especially since im new.

·
Registered
707 Posts
It amazes me that someone can zero in on one phrase, take it out of context, then call it a ”solid straight“ answer. Perfect example of interpretive reading versus reading for comprehension. Then denigrate the very person trying to help. If you bother to read EVERYTHING that was stated in @zhent response, you will see we have major doubts about whether you have actually deleted your catalytic converter as you claim, when in the next breath you are asking about replacing the downpipe of which the cat is a part. Deleting the cat on the OEM downpipe would be ugly and cost you more in time and effort to get it right due to clearances and angles than buying an aftermarket offerings. Not saying it can’t be done, but most people would never take that job on, and of those that would, I expect their knowledge and skills to be equal to the task.

So… if you are really here to learn and receive help, I suggest you take all the good information and advice you have been offered so far, reread it all for comprehension, and then act accordingly. If you truly want our help and advice, post a pick of your current down pipe to this thread so we can verify what you really have and can stop all this useless back and forth on something so basic and straightforward.

And last word of advice… stop trying to tick off the forum moderator. :censored:

·
Administrator
3,670 Posts
"YOU ALREADY HAVE A CATLESS DOWNPIPE." thank you for the solid straight answer I wasnt getting. Im new to forums and cars so theres no reason to be a complete dick about it. You should do your job as a moderator and help people out and inform them as much as possible before you snap lol. Complete childish reply that you just gave me especially since im new.
I'm kind of speechless here.

As @KewlWinter said, we don't actually believe you have a catless downpipe. We also don't believe that you have read any of the other replies to this question. Heck, you didn't read the entire post you replied to here.

You listed six codes in an earlier post and asked if a catless downpipe would fix them. You completely ignored my response.

You need to see an actual mechanic. From all of this nothing we tell you here will resolve all of your issues. Maybe take your stock exhaust components with you if all of this started after you started messing with the exhaust. No, an O2 sensor extension won't get rid of all of these codes. The O2 sensor extender goes on the downstream O2 sensor, and none of these are for that one.
When going catless, the O2 sensor that causes issues isn't the upstream sensor. You have engine issues that haven't been addressed. What you have never said is who is tuning your car. Do I need to put it in all caps for you to see it?

We also asked for photos of your entire exhaust setup. Apparently you missed that too.

Or how about my final statement there:

Also as @KewlWinter said:

And last word of advice… stop trying to tick off the forum moderator.
This is not Facebook. We don't attack each other or call each other names. What you see in writing above is frustration, because you continue to ask the same question over and over, ignoring the responses of the people trying to assist you. Please help us to help you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts