Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

Ecoboost or GT?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm here to talk about the differences from an Ecoboost and an GT. I recently purchases a 2018 Ecoboost and my fiance and I have a good friend who owns a 2018 GT. We have been having many conversations on which is better and why. Although I am rooting for you Ecoboost and have seen many people talk about both being in the top thee best muscle cars I love hearing others thoughts. Keep in mind we do use our Ecoboost as more of a street car. However, there is always time for a little fun! Comment with your overall thoughts and/or take the poll.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I got the eco because it was well balanced, fun to drive, cheaper to insure, better mpg's, and more than enough street power. The gt's are nice, I've driven a couple. They seem to make their more usable power higher in the band though. Great for the track, but I don't hit the track much. I prefer the lower end grunt of the eco for the street. Hitting the upper rpm range in a gt is fun, but hard to do (legally) on the street. Not saying if I could get one at a great deal that I'd pass it up, but I'm more than happy where I am.

Reactions: ZStang

·
Registered
817 Posts
Agree with @JAKE here. Nice to have a sports car I could modify and not break the bank doing so. I do need to get to the track (if it every stops raining and dries out!) as I get to 65-70mph way too fast. :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm here to talk about the differences from an Ecoboost and an GT. I recently purchases a 2018 Ecoboost and my fiance and I have a good friend who owns a 2018 GT. We have been having many conversations on which is better and why. Although I am rooting for you Ecoboost and have seen many people talk about both being in the top thee best muscle cars I love hearing others thoughts. Keep in mind we do use our Ecoboost as more of a street car. However, there is always time for a little fun! Comment with your overall thoughts and/or take the poll.
I also agree with Jake. My 2018 Ecoboost with 10 speed automatic has plenty of power, is plenty of fun to drive, and gets plenty good mileage. I have yet to have anyone ask me why I didn't get a GT, most comments are on how much people like the Lightning Blue color!

Last weekend I made the 240 mile round trip to St. Louis with my son in his 2016 Focus ST and he got just over 30 MPG for the round trip. I got over 36 MPG for the same round trip 2 weeks earlier. Allowing a couple MPG for headwind/tailwind on the 2 round trip drives, I still beat his 2.0 liter Ecoboost with 6 speed manual for fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The crazy raw power of the V8 is impressive, but how often do you get to use that much power? My EB has more than enough power to have fun and get in more trouble than is legal. And with 200 pounds less weight to drag around, it's lighter and quicker on corners, which is a bonus I can enjoy every time I turn the steering wheel.

I was out for a little trip Tuesday, and set a new personal record, no less than 4 different strangers wanted to tell me they liked my car. Not a one of them said I should have gotten a V8, and one said that he was considering buying an EB.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
The EB is truly the best bang for your buck ..but the crazy extra HP and sound of the GT is worth the $$.having the opportunity to have both..they are both amazing mustangs and I could imagine the GT350 being even better on the next level.

·
Super Moderator
6,353 Posts
Read my build thread and the autocross/road racing sections. This car is fantastic and holds it's own very well against the GT.
The car is much more balanced and refined than the GT, having run them both back to back, same course, same day, same conditions.

A friend of mine and I did what we called the scientific check between his GT and my Ecoboost ... our autocross times were within .01 second of each other (the cars, not the drivers ... he was 1.5 seconds faster than I in both cars.), and he RULES the CAM-C class against GTs and Camaro SS machines (he sold his GT and went with an Ecoboost).

This is the modern day SVO and I'm more than glad I went this route.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I bought mine as a cruiser, so I had little use for the extra grunt of the GT. The bonus is that at something just over 13K km, the lifetime fuel economy is as good, or better, than the outgoing 2010 Sonata 4 cylinder (and a touch more fun!). In the end the EB has far more power than I’ve ever had in a vehicle and I’d rather have a loaded EB than a base GT.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I have been driving turbo charged 4cyl compacts continuously since 1985 as my daily drivers. I consider them to be the perfect combination of performance and economy.

In late 14 when I had a chance to drive an Ecoboost Mustang I knew I had to have one. I took delivery of a 15 Ecoboost Premium in CO with PP and Nav. Never considered a GT or have I ever had a desire to drive one (have a 68 Barracuda for when I need to make noise a d scare women).

I am now driving a 17 Ecoboost Mustang that is identical to the 15 but in Grabber Blue.

Dave

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a 2016 EB Premium Mustang with a few months to go on the lease. I started testing the market and I couldn't help myself but start looking at the GT platform. I nearly got a pretty crazy deal on a 2018 GT that never sold, but once I started crunching the #'s... I said, "what the heck is the matter with me?"

I live in CA and I'm sure our fellow members that live in this state will agree with me, everything is so expensive out here. Gas, insurance, registration. The EB Mustangs have excellent performance, we all know that... but that cost savings they provide in just every day ownership really adds up anywhere... especially in high cost places like CA. GT ownership over an EB Mustang is easily more than $4k a YEAR. That total is added from insurance, registration, gas, and car payments... (did I mention tires as well??)

I turn around and look at my car and go "Why the hell would I want to get rid of this thing? It's a beautiful car". The EB Mustangs provides great looks, impressive performance, all at a price point that won't bankrupt you.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I’m on Mustang #5. My first new car at 19 was an 89 LX 5.0. I didn’t want a GT because I thought the LX was more cleaner and lighter.

#2 was a 01 GT, and #3 which I still have is an 05 GT.

#4 was my Ecoboost. Was initially supposed to be a daily driver, and replace a fully loaded 08 Malibu LTZ V6, but never became a daily.

I had fun modding it, but I wanted the rumble under my butt. So I traded the EB. I still have the S197 3v GT and now a 2019 GT/CS.

I think Ford makes both because they both have a place in the stable. The EB is a fun stable platform and when fully loaded with options makes for a perfect daily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
The EB is truly the best bang for your buck ..but the crazy extra HP and sound of the GT is worth the $$.having the opportunity to have both..they are both amazing mustangs and I could imagine the GT350 being even better on the next level.
I'd love a gt 350, if not for the sound alone. That flat plane crank at high rpm sounds like music to me. There's a guy in town that has one (white w/ blue stripes) and I'm in awe everytime I see it ha.

Reactions: ZStang and Elvis 66

·
Registered
861 Posts
I have 3 EcoBoosts in my stable. My 88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe is old school fun, unique and a good cruiser and still exceeds 30 mpg highway. My wife has a 2.0L EcoBoost Escape which is a comfortable grocery getter with some pep. I bought my 15 EcoBoost Mustang premium for a light and sporty car with great looks that is easily modified for more power. I have modded it plenty and don't want to go all out. She performs well for what I want, rides decent and gives good economy. I could not touch a base GT for what I paid and have in the car total.
My son has a 16 GT performance pack premium with recaros and it's a fun car. I could definitely feel the weight difference immediately. It handled well, but the EcoBoost just feels more nimble. 2 very different cars on the same platform. I love both for different reasons!

Reactions: Sarge and Elvis 66

·
Registered
570 Posts
I suppose it depends on what you want to do with the car. If you want to drag race, the GT is the obvious choice. If you are a track rat, like @Squid, the ecoboost can be as good as, or better than, a GT as a track car (depending on modifications, of course). I bought my ecoboost because I wanted it. It has performed beyond my expectations. I have one autox under my belt, and will do more this year. SCCA events are in my town. As a novice driver, I am limited by my skills, not the car. I think differently about the car since autocrossing it. While previously thinking about power modifications, I am now much more focused on suspension, wheels & tires. When the car limits me, will determine what modifications I do to the car, or trade up cars. If I did that, I would be more interested in a used GT 350 than a GT.

·
Registered
165 Posts
i'm pretty sure my 5 mile drive to the train station is the world's worst for gas mileage. in my EB, i get 17 miles per gallon. but part of the agreement when we bought a house in the burbs, is that i would get something fun to drive to the train station

looking around, EB was best bang for the buck. in hindsight, i have done so many mods that i probably would have been better off getting a GT, doing the exhaust and leaving the rest stock. my car has more power than a base GT now, however if i took it in for warranty work they would just laugh at me

if you plan on heavily modifying your car, i think a gt is probably the way to go for warranty purposes alone. if all you plan on doing are the basics (intercooler, tune, intake) and some visual stuff, EB no question.

·
Registered
2017 PP MT DD
830 Posts
The Ecoboost is a great car its almost the perfect balance. The look on people's face when you say only a 4 banger is priceless.

Don't get me wrong I am so tempted by the GT the sound alone is worth the money but realistically its a weekend car for me. The Ecoboost is my daily it leaves me enough in the bank to modify it and enjoy it every day.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I test drove a 2017 GT350 2 weeks ago and actually considered trading in my EB for it. In short, it was awesome in many ways, and I'm sure would be a great car to have and drive, but honestly I didn't want those high of payments, plus with all of those horses under the hood, it felt a little out of control. I'm not saying our EB's are better, but I do like the amount of power these cars can produce while at the same time feeling like I'm in control, and not the car, if that makes sense.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts