Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I got my 2020 mustang ecoboost around three weeks ago and I’ve heard tuning can make the car better in some aspects. However I’ve also read that tuning a stock mustang can be dangerous. So I need help lol I already bought the tuner but haven’t programmed it yet and can return it. Is it safe?

·
Premium Member
2,292 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
If you stick with the caned tunes from Cobb and the required bolt on mods recommended for those tunes you will be safe.
The Ford Performance Tune is also safe and is backed by a warranty.
The safest tunes of course will be "Pro-tunes" done by a tuner suited for your car and its parameters precisely.

The other important thing, is to always ensure you are filling up the car with the correct Octane (91 or 93) depending on your tune once tuned.

There is always a certain risk of your engine developing problems once tuned, but if you drive the car carefully, don't thrash it, keep up the scheduled maintenance and use good engine oil, you lessen the odds of failure.

Reactions: DRU842

·
Super Moderator
3,237 Posts
Reactions: Go Further

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The safest tunes of course will be "Pro-tunes" done by a tuner suited for your car and its parameters precisely.
I would disagree with that statement.

Anytime you increase the power the engine makes you increase the stress on the engine and the risk of a failure goes up.

Yes a pro tuner can precisely adjust parameters to get more power and the amount of power will be a function of how much they want to risk their reputation (blowing up engines is not good for business). On the other hand they have to push the engine harder to produce more power than the canned tunes or they won't be able sell their services.

By far the Ford Performance tune is going to be the safest tune you can put on your engine. FP has access to all the factory development/test data and are in a better position to know how close they are getting to an unacceptable level of risk.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hay There fellow Ecoboost owners!!! and welcome Malarc 1! I'm just just checking out the board watching Sammy Hagars Birthday Bash 2020!!!!! Damn he's good. I'm in your same place, I got my 2020 July 1 and want to do some tunes come this spring but I'm torn because there are so many but I don't want to do a bunch of upgrades.

·
Premium Member
2,292 Posts
I would disagree with that statement.

Anytime you increase the power the engine makes you increase the stress on the engine and the risk of a failure goes up.

Yes a pro tuner can precisely adjust parameters to get more power and the amount of power will be a function of how much they want to risk their reputation (blowing up engines is not good for business). On the other hand they have to push the engine harder to produce more power than the canned tunes or they won't be able sell their services.

By far the Ford Performance tune is going to be the safest tune you can put on your engine. FP has access to all the factory development/test data and are in a better position to know how close they are getting to an unacceptable level of risk.

A Pro-tune does not necessarily have to give you more power than the canned tune you may already have.
You can ask a tuner to simply optimise the canned tune and or power/torque curve you already have, if you are happy with the level of that performance.
Sometimes resulting in a much smoother driving car and safer for the engine.

I like to think of an OTS generic tune as a rope tied between two poles... It will do the job, but may have a few "kinks" or knots along the way.
A pro-tune might be the same rope between those poles, but will have those small kinks and imperfections along its length removed. :)

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
While a pro-tune does not need to increase power but I have been on this forum since almost the beginning and I have never heard anyone considering a pro-tune that was not looking for more power.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts