Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here goes. I've done quite a bit to the EcoBoost since I bought it a year ago. it has a C&L CAI. BBK 65mm throttle body. UPR dual valve catch can. BBK catted downpipe. MBRP race catback. Turbosmart BOV. Mish radiator, intercooler, oil cooler. GT350 red start/stop button. Barton Industries billet shifter. Paddle shifter extenders from CJ's. FP tower strut brace. Mishi coolant expansion tank. Car has a BAMA 87 performance tune. Future mods will include various suspension kits and forged engine internals. As far as turbos go, I am looking at doing a CP-E precision turbo upgrade. This will allow me to use the stock exhaust setup currently installed. This turbo upgrade can also be pushed to 520whp with the right supporting mods and a tune. Will update this build thread as parts are installed to the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been running 87 gas since I bought the car. I tried running my 91 race tune with 93 gas and got too many overboost codes on the car. I will probably start running 93 gas on a 93 tune when I put a big turbo on the car. So far no problems with the car...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I've been running 87 gas since I bought the car. I tried running my 91 race tune with 93 gas and got too many overboost codes on the car. I will probably start running 93 gas on a 93 tune when I put a big turbo on the car. So far no problems with the car...

Overboost codes on a custom tune indicate incorrect wastegate tables, an experienced tuner could correct that fairly easily.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip. I may have BAMA do a 91 or 93 performance tune and give that a try just to see how much better the car runs. I have not had any issues with the 87 tune so far and the car feels great. Turbo lag is not as bad as it was from stock. If it matters, I'm still using the stock wastegate but plan to upgrade it later. If I do the precision turbo it comes with an 18psi wastegate.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just put a BAMA 91 performance tune on the car. Car runs much better and feels quicker. I will be sticking to 93 gas from now on to get the best performance out of the car.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got my California Special tires and wheels. Came with the CS/GT 19" wheels and Pirelli P-Zero tires with sensors for $500 together. No tire mounting or balancing required. Bought a floor jack from Harbor Freight so I can install the tires on the car. I already have an impact gun which will make the job very easy. The only issue I may run into is pairing the sensors with the TPMS in the car. A fellow Mustang club member I bought the tires from has said that the car should pick up the sensors within about 30 miles of driving. He has the TPMS tool if this does not work. Should take me no more then 10-15 minutes to install the tires.

·
Super Moderator
5,970 Posts
the car should pick up the sensors within about 30 miles of driving.
In my experience they do. Sometimes I'll get a TPMS error, but after a couple of start cycles it will clear.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I rotated my tires my tires in an x pattern a couple months ago and the car figured it out without any tpms reprogramming.
I must say, bravo Ford!.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These tires should be a nice upgrade from the factory Eagle tires that came with the car. This Mustang club member is changing out some of the factory parts on his CS/GT car so I may get the oportunity to grab some other parts for CHEAP... Brakes are 4 piston and Springs are lower then the factory EcoBoost springs.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I swap summer and snow tires and rims twice a year. TPMS has always fixed itself after a few minutes of driving. I bought the little push button remote sync thing, but I've never needed it.

·
Super Moderator
2,743 Posts
Springs are lower then the factory EcoBoost springs.
Keep in mind, those "lower" springs are holding up a heavy V8. Put on an Eco, they may not be so low.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
True. I am looking to get the Ford performance track handling kit instead of those springs. My room mate can put the springs on his 5.0
Keep in mind, those "lower" springs are holding up a heavy V8. Put on an Eco, they may not be so low.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just put my CS/GT wheels and tires on the car the other day. TPMS sensors paired up with the car Within about 10-15 min of driving this morning. Ride is a little bumpy even on flat ground. Might need to get the tires balanced. Good thing I get free service at the local Ford dealer. Pictures to come later

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pictures of the CS/GT wheels and tires. Took a cruise through the mountains to Luray caverns on Saturday and the car felt great with the gently used tires. Ruby red 5.0 decided to crash the party. Car was very dirty so I gave it the ultimate spa treatment after the cruise. The Ruby red 5.0 is my room mates and is the reason I traded my red 2010 v6 for the EcoBoost. I helped him load a 93 ghost cam tune on the car and it has a nice loapy exhaust on idle.

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just bought some goodies from Americanmuscle for black friday.

JM IRS support jacking rail
Whiteline sway bar kit with adjustable end links
Steeda IRS subframe braces.

Sway bar kit will be installed at a Machv motorsports in Dulles VA with an alignment. The jacking rail and IRS subframe will be done at a DIY auto shop. Found one that is $26/hr.
The subframe will hopefully reduce wheel hop and the sway bar will hopefully improve cornering.

·
Registered
992 Posts
IRS subframe braces are simple bolt-ons. I did mine in my driveway with basic ratchets and wrenches. Only issue I had was that two of the slots were a little too close together (or the bolt holes in my chassis were a little too far apart) so I had to ream out the slots about a sixteenth of an inch with a drill bit.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My townhouse is not designed well for doing work on cars. I had barely enough room to change out the tires. My performance shop charges $115/ hr for work. I think $26/ hr is a better deal to do it myself.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just installed the Steeda subframe brace, JM jacking rails and the rear sway bar from Whiteline. I will have the performance shop install the front sway bar and the front and rear adjustable endlinks as well as do an alignment. I did the same to my room mates GT. Handeling is improved vastly and wheel hop is greatly reduced. Next up for me is a set of Steeda vertical links to further reduce wheel hop. My room mate is also doing a set of SR coilovers for his GT.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts

Interesting. First I've heard of something like this. Should I need to check this if I'm running the FP tune with 93 gas. I've ALWAYS ran 93 gas. Even before I put the tune on.

1 - 20 of 240 Posts