Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

401 - 420 of 450 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #401
Almost forgot... I'll need to start thinking about upgrading my halfshafts/driveshaft soon. Does anyone know what kind of power the factory one can handle? I would hate to snap a halfshaft or driveshaft at the track.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Just a word of observance here from the peanut gallery...you went for a major increase in HP on the stock block, it blew, and now you're going to run it back with a rebuilt block. If I were in your shoes, I would definitely pick @WatchMyEco brain on the subject, since he went through the exact same thing. He's not very present on this forum, but he usually answers on his youtube channel, if you hit him up. I'm sure he can give you some pointers that will help you avoid potential pitfalls. 👌

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #403
Just a word of observance here from the peanut gallery...you went for a major increase in HP on the stock block, it blew, and now you're going to run it back with a rebuilt block. If I were in your shoes, I would definitely pick @WatchMyEco brain on the subject, since he went through the exact same thing. He's not very present on this forum, but he usually answers on his youtube channel, if you hit him up. I'm sure he can give you some pointers that will help you avoid potential pitfalls.
Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely see what exactly he did to build his engine. I've already been in contact with an engine builder and they are confident that they can build me an engine that can handle 520-550HP... This will be a totally fresh motor with no used parts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Think about getting some cams. If you look at watch my eco’s dyno he spools at 4K and runs out of steam at 5.5k, so narrow powerband. With some mild cams you can make power to 7k and will have a much quicker car, ask sp63 about it.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #405
Think about getting some cams. If you look at watch my eco’s dyno he spools at 4K and runs out of steam at 5.5k, so narrow powerband. With some mild cams you can make power to 7k and will have a much quicker car, ask sp63 about it.
I do have some ford performance cams at the house. I could toss those in or get something a little more aggressive like piper cams.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #406
I've been looking at either piper cams or Esslinger cams. The stage 3 Esslinger cams have a nice lopey idle to them but SP63 sells the piper cams and might be able to throw them in my built engine before shipping. They can also probably tell me if their upgraded valvetrain will work with the piper cams.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #407
I keep eyeballing the Radium Baffle plate to replace the stock one. Just need to get the correct 10AN fitting for the UPR catch can and it should work. There are a couple of other accessories I'm thinking of ordering to add to the built engine. Boomba has a nice transmission mount that should be an easy install especially if I have to remove the trans while doing the motor swap. I'm also thinking of getting the ported intake manifold from Automafia Racing. These should all be fairly easy installs. I'll see what else needs to be ordered when. I pull the motor tomorrow. It's gonna be a LONG Winter fixing the car and she'll come out stronger and ready to gap some cars on the track. I might even find a Dyno shop and rent some remote Dyno time with Ryan to dial in my car and get some real numbers.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #408
I've also been eyeballing some stage 3 piper cams. Would almost make more sense to have them installed as part of the longblock build vs doing them later. I heard some Esslinger stage 3 cammed EcoBoost and it had a nice chop to it so I imagine the piper cams would sound similar. the valve springs get upgraded to 50 lbs springs in the stage 1 build so I'll have to see if the piper cams would work with those valve springs.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #410
Made more progress from pulling the engine. Engine is unbolted from the bellhousong and it's just 2 or 3 fittings and it can be pulled from the bay.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Man, I did that twice 25 plus years ago on a 63 and 67 Chevy PU’ and it was way easier, my hat is off to you !

Ken

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #412
Man, I did that twice 25 plus years ago on a 63 and 67 Chevy PU’ and it was way easier, my hat is off to you !

Ken
I'm getting some help from a guy that has been working on vettes for 20+ years. He's was very interested in the 2.3 engine design.

·
Registered
937 Posts
While not totally necessary, and just a suggestion, but if it was me I'd pull the hood and store it somewhere until you're completely back together. Gives ya more room and your not banging your head into it all the time.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Almost done pulling the engine. Found a nice big hole in the side of the block. Most if the stuff is out of the way so tomorrow I can finally pull the engine out.
Holy Sh!t!! So it blew out a chunk of block?!? Wow. Where was the chunk located at? It's hard to tell from the pic. Was it around the Cylinder 2 or 3 sidewall where its not reinforced? Thanks for all the pictures and your documentation.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #415
Holy Sh!t!! So it blew out a chunk of block?!? Wow. Where was the chunk located at? It's hard to tell from the pic. Was it around the Cylinder 2 or 3 sidewall where its not reinforced? Thanks for all the pictures and your documentation.
There's actually a hole on both sides of the block. Engine is separated from the bellhousing and we have just a few fastners to remove before we can pull the engine out completely.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #416
The guy helping me pull the motor is resorsefull as hell... Found me a used mkz 2.0 engine for $700 with 33k miles. I can frankenstein the 2.0 block from it and potentially reuse my head for a cheaper engine build. SP63 has an engine build kit for about $2300 so... I'd have a stage 2 shortblock for just under $3k.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Looks like the hole is right by #3 / balance shaft...seems like that’s always the area of failure along with head lift, reason enough to consider a BSD for longevity.

401 - 420 of 450 Posts