Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
461 - 480 of 495 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #462 ·
If you can do the work yourself a brand new 2.0 block from Ford is about $600 and an after market rotating assembly (crank, rods, pistons, bearing and rings) is about $1200. Assuming the head is still good you can build and engine for around $2000.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
Thanks but I've already got a master engine builder putting one together for me. I've never built an engine myself and I'd hate to try it and have a poorly running engine as the result.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #466 ·
Nice. Saw you are going with xdi 2000 cc injectors and wastegate. Is this the “hot sauce” once for the nx2 upgrade? Why are you upgrading the injectors? Going flex fuel?
Well... I went Ecoboom and am planing on going E85 for the summer time. Once I get my built engine in the car in going full send on my NX2 turbo. Wastegate is not the Tune+ hot sauce one as you can only get it if tuned by Adam.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #467 ·
Update on the engine build... I finally got an invoice and have payed most of the cost. its gonna run me just under $7k for a fully forged longblock with ported head and upgraded valves and springs. Engine should be ready by May so ill be able to have the car back up and running just in time for the summer season. Cant wait to put this thing on the track and eventually get her dialed in for E85.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #468 ·
More goodies to add to the build. Trans cooler from Mishimoto to keep the 6R80 cool on hit days and a DW400 fuel pump. The stock fuel pump can't handle much more then 480 HP and I don't see what happens when a stock fuel pump dies on a built engine like what happened to watchmyeco. This pump is noticably bigger then the stock fuel pump. The housemate has some used tires and an F-150 we can haul the engine back in. Will be a nice 6 hr trip each way to pick up the engine. Saves me $500 in shipping.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #469 ·
Finally got the update I've been waiting for all this time... Just got a call from Jessie Ringly. Sadly boostline rods are not going into the build. Instead I'll be going with Callie's H beams. Boostline are on backorder till probably beyond end of the year. If I do Callie H beams he should be able to finish up my engine by end of the month or mid next month. It's been a long delay but the wait will be totally worth it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Finally got the update I've been waiting for all this time... Just got a call from Jessie Ringly. Sadly boostline rods are not going into the build. Instead I'll be going with Callie's H beams. Boostline are on backorder till probably beyond end of the year. If I do Callie H beams he should be able to finish up my engine by end of the month or mid next month. It's been a long delay but the wait will be totally worth it.
Glad to hear it, I’m definitely looking forward to seeing what you think once you have the car back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Motor vehicle Product Automotive exterior Bumper Gas
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Just found this and while reading, you had similar issues that I had. New NX2 turbo and then needing a new engine. Mine just wiped out the #4 rod bearing and scored the crank. Now have an Adam built 2.3. Still dialing it in and Ryan is tuning mine as well! Was thinking of E85, but closest place is an hour away. There are times the Mustang is my DD, so that wont work. Must be something about bigger turbos, because I upgrade the Escape and now its getting another engine. I do think it was having issues prior to turbo.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
View attachment 41189 View attachment 41190 View attachment 41191
Just found this and while reading, you had similar issues that I had. New NX2 turbo and then needing a new engine. Mine just wiped out the #4 rod bearing and scored the crank. Now have an Adam built 2.3. Still dialing it in and Ryan is tuning mine as well! Was thinking of E85, but closest place is an hour away. There are times the Mustang is my DD, so that wont work. Must be something about bigger turbos, because I upgrade the Escape and now its getting another engine. I do think it was having issues prior to turbo.
Pictures don't lie... That's one worn out bearing!
Engine building has always been a financial challenge for me. I'll start a season with a new (mild) engine build, then make some upgrades the following winter, run a 2nd season and then add a high dollar, high HP mod for season 3, where I have problems!
Now, what I can't tell you... Did the latest mods cause the problems, or have I just worn out my motor??
Question; At want point in your engine's life (age/mileage/hours) are you pushing your motor the hardest?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Pictures don't lie... That's one worn out bearing!
Engine building has always been a financial challenge for me. I'll start a season with a new (mild) engine build, then make some upgrades the following winter, run a 2nd season and then add a high dollar, high HP mod for season 3, where I have problems!
Now, what I can't tell you... Did the latest mods cause the problems, or have I just worn out my motor??
Question; At want point in your engine's life (age/mileage/hours) are you pushing your motor the hardest?
I understand. Knowing I didnt want to tear the Mustang down again is why I went all out. And yes, it hurt $. Block is supposed to support 700hp. I will be nowhere near that. I did expect I would upgrade the engine, just thought it would be later! Biggest thing that caused my blow up was not waiting for the tune after installing the turbo. It was a beast, just very short lived. On the plus, I think I will do a simple rebuild on the 2.3 and use it for an small truck swap. Not my fastest car, just faster than it was, dependable, and good on gas. Probably tune for 87.

·
Registered
2020 Magnetic HPP EcoBoost
336 Posts
I understand. Knowing I didnt want to tear the Mustang down again is why I went all out. And yes, it hurt $. Block is supposed to support 700hp. I will be nowhere near that. I did expect I would upgrade the engine, just thought it would be later! Biggest thing that caused my blow up was not waiting for the tune after installing the turbo. It was a beast, just very short lived. On the plus, I think I will do a simple rebuild on the 2.3 and use it for an small truck swap. Not my fastest car, just faster than it was, dependable, and good on gas. Probably tune for 87.
So you ran the car hard with the NX2 and no tune for it?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Magnetic HPP EcoBoost
336 Posts
To be fair... Evevn Adam Brunsen from Tune+ says you can run the turbo on the factory ECU calibration.
Yeah I've read that too. That's why I asked, because he says only a gain of around 20 or so whp without a tune for it. That didn't sound like enough to hurt the motor to me even if driving hard.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

461 - 480 of 495 Posts