Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ecoboost Premium - 6R80 (auto)
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you put together a build with a nice big Borg Warner EFR 9280 yet? This is a future avenue I’m considering alongside some other ridiculous Borg Warner Turbos from their AirWerks division.

I WILL build a 1000+hp (non juiced) EcoBoost that stays as true to its namesake as possible. I may not be the first to have done it by the time I can afford it, but it will certainly be the most complete if I can help it! However, I wanted to do some research on how guys have been fairing with this or a similar set up thus far, and ask for any advice for this long expensive haul!

Thank you In advance For your comments as well as any advice on my dream path here!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Have any of you put together a build with a nice big Borg Warner EFR 9280 yet? This is a future avenue I’m considering alongside some other ridiculous Borg Warner Turbos from their AirWerks division.

I WILL build a 1000+hp (non juiced) EcoBoost that stays as true to its namesake as possible. I may not be the first to have done it by the time I can afford it, but it will certainly be the most complete if I can help it! However, I wanted to do some research on how guys have been fairing with this or a similar set up thus far, and ask for any advice for this long expensive haul!

Thank you In advance For your comments as well as any advice on my dream path here!
Look into doing a sleeved 2.3 shortblock as those can handle 1000+ HP. It's a pricey option but will allow you to safely make 1000 HP. You'll also need to do a dual Direct and port injection setup since DI maxed out on everything can only handle about 650 HP. Also understand that with a massive turbo you'll loose out on alot of low end power. I'm doing a built engine with a turbonetics NX2 and some XDI fuel upgrades. Should be making around 520 HP on E85.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts

If I wanted to build a monster, I’d do it with a Borg Warner also. That’s a quality turbo and the EFRs come in all sorts of different sizes to suit your needs.
Two things.
you’re going to have to build out your block and internals.
The borg Warner efr turbos require a whole new set of different bolt ons (hot pipe, downpipe, intake) in order to properly fit and they’re difficult to find.

·
Registered
2018 Base Ecoboost, Stock/Factory Tune, M/T Tires
201 Posts
Look into doing a sleeved 2.3 shortblock as those can handle 1000+ HP. It's a pricey option but will allow you to safely make 1000 HP. You'll also need to do a dual Direct and port injection setup since DI maxed out on everything can only handle about 650 HP. Also understand that with a massive turbo you'll loose out on alot of low end power. I'm doing a built engine with a turbonetics NX2 and some XDI fuel upgrades. Should be making around 520 HP on E85.
I'll have to agree with "massive turbo and loss of low end power". Have you done any research on a Compound Turbo system??

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I'll have to agree with "massive turbo and loss of low end power". Have you done any research on a Compound Turbo system?? View attachment 38834
Now that you mention it... Borg Werner did a prototype system where they used a small electric turbo and combined it with a MASSIVE BIG turbo. This gives the car great low end response untill the big turbo spools up for top end power. They used a Mustang EcoBoost as the test mule.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Now that you mention it... Borg Werner did a prototype system where they used a small electric turbo and combined it with a MASSIVE BIG turbo. This gives the car great low end response untill the big turbo spools up for top end power. They used a Mustang EcoBoost as the test mule.
I remember you posting the video on this.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Interesting! Would either turbo be a twin scroll, like the OEM turbo we have on our Ecoboost Mustang from the factory?? And are any of the "Massive Big Turbo Chargers" that are being adapted to the Ecoboost motors twin scrolls?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Interesting! Would either turbo be a twin scroll, like the OEM turbo we have on our Ecoboost Mustang from the factory?? And are any of the "Massive Big Turbo Chargers" that are being adapted to the Ecoboost motors twin scrolls?
no point to do any R/D for our 2.3's. they can't handle that much power to be worth while. you'd have a ton of upset customers when the engines pop.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I did find the Borg Warner video. Interesting! Not a Compound System, more of a Secondary System, but pretty darn cool!!

·
Registered
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Performance
45 Posts
I'm debating if I should to do an engine swap or using a BW turbo upgrade kit (see link below). You can get the optional BW9280 which is my selected option below. From my research, you can run this turbo at like 500whp but you gotta build the motor to hit 1000hp. With that said I don't want the ffp intercooler or pipes but I prefer cpe pipes and intercooler, but it's much more expensive, and you will have to buy the speed sensors and boost reference adapter, etc separately. I might cave and do the FFP parts that have everything included.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I'm debating if I should to do an engine swap or using a BW turbo upgrade kit (see link below). You can get the optional BW9280 which is my selected option below. From my research, you can run this turbo at like 500whp but you gotta build the motor to hit 1000hp. With that said I don't want the ffp intercooler or pipes but I prefer cpe pipes and intercooler, but it's much more expensive, and you will have to buy the speed sensors and boost reference adapter, etc separately. I might cave and do the FFP parts that have everything included.

Still gotta build the motor to hit 500 HP on the turbo. 400 HP is the limit on a stock motor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts