Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking about this for awhile and have posted before I think but haven't gotten clarity on this question: if I put a catted 3" downpipe and a matching full exhaust system on my 2020 EB, what are the chances it will pass a state mandated emissions test (in VA)? Is one catted downpipe better than others? Is this something I would just have to try and see how it works out?
Right now I have the COBB stage 2 OTS 93 tune with an Airaid intake and a Cobb intercooler on the car and I love the way it runs.
Thanks for any feedback y'all can give me!

· Registered
213 Posts
I don't think you can get clarity on this. Would it pass a visual inspection? Likely so if you take the Cobb device out of the car and have nothing plugged into the OBD2 port. Will it pass a sniff test? Only someone with access to Virginia state equipment could tell ya that answer, certainly not a bunch of informed people from across everywhere here on a public forum would know that for certain. So clarity, not likely. Best guess? Maybe, maybe not. On our cars a catted 3" DP with full 3" exhaust is worth what? 10 whp? 15 tops if pro-tuned? If that's enough to take the risk then risk it. I know one thing for sure, you might not like the results if you don't pass. Isn't your re-registration tied to a successful test in Virginia? Luckily here in Ohio its not, but I'm not up on all of the different state emissions laws. I do know another thing for sure, the EPA has really cracked the whip in the past couple years and made tuning and acquiring certain parts a lot harder.

· Registered
3,298 Posts
Best guess? Maybe, maybe not
Correct.

When I looked at changing out my downpipe, I was really interested in these GESI cats. They seem to be ultra performance and the best scrubbing. At one point, maperformance was making a catted downpipe WITH these cats, but they stopped a couple years back. Now...if you were interested in getting one, you'd have to get the downpipe, and then buy the cat separately, and have an exhaust dude cut and weld it together for you.

GESi Technologies - GESi - Global Emissions Systems Inc.

I don't live in an emissions strict state, so I simply went with a generic "high flow" catted downpipe.

· Registered
857 Posts
To add a further bit of clarity... most catted downpipes are high flow "race" cats and many times are right on the emissions thresholds. This is why so many that have gone the route of using an O2 restrictor piece to distance the O2 sensor from the exhaust flow. That is great for the car when not wanting to throw emissions codes/CEL's from the PCM, but doesn't mean you will pass when an inspection site does their thing. Thankfully, Florida doesn't require testing, but for those states that do (as others mentioned), the method/depth of emissions testing and the consequences of failure vary greatly.

· Registered
1,656 Posts
It will depend a lot on just what parameters/requirements your states emission testing station look for and/or at to determine if your car passes or not. If it's just an emissions readiness test check mark list, then you may pass if you use a downstream O2 sensor defouler to keep the signal showing clean. If it is also a visual inspection and they look at any mods the exhaust system or other components, then you likely would not pass with an aftermarket DP on place.

You should be able to go to your states DOT and research exactly what is checked/involved with passing the test in your state.

I have no inspections in my state either so not an issue here.

BD

· Registered
953 Posts
What kind of emissions test does VA do? In MD, we've had the manned drive-thru lanes for decades. They started with putting a sensor in the tailpipe while the car was on rollers, but eventually they went to just plugging into your OBD-II port. At this point, all they're doing is relying on what the vehicle's systems are indicating. Since it's manned, they can also visually inspect your vehicle for "signs of tampering." I'm sure each inspector has a different idea of what to look for and what constitutes further inspection. My guess is if a vehicle has obvious mods, like an exhaust that's louder than normal, it could draw additional attention.

More recently, MD has offered self-serve kiosks. DIY emissions inspections! All you do is drive up and follow the instructions to plug into your OBD-II port. So, if you already know how that's gonna go, you're golden. 👍🏼 This has become my go-to solution for a number of reasons - it's quick (I go at off-peak hours), I don't have to deal with a person, and I always know how it's gonna go from monitoring my cars beforehand.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What kind of emissions test does VA do? In MD, we've had the manned drive-thru lanes for decades. They started with putting a sensor in the tailpipe while the car was on rollers, but eventually they went to just plugging into your OBD-II port. At this point, all they're doing is relying on what the vehicle's systems are indicating. Since it's manned, they can also visually inspect your vehicle for "signs of tampering." I'm sure each inspector has a different idea of what to look for and what constitutes further inspection. My guess is if a vehicle has obvious mods, like an exhaust that's louder than normal, it could draw additional attention.

More recently, MD has offered self-serve kiosks. DIY emissions inspections! All you do is drive up and follow the instructions to plug into your OBD-II port. So, if you already know how that's gonna go, you're golden. 👍🏼 This has become my go-to solution for a number of reasons - it's quick (I go at off-peak hours), I don't have to deal with a person, and I always know how it's gonna go from monitoring my cars beforehand.
Been thinking about this for awhile and have posted before I think but haven't gotten clarity on this question: if I put a catted 3" downpipe and a matching full exhaust system on my 2020 EB, what are the chances it will pass a state mandated emissions test (in VA)? Is one catted downpipe better than others? Is this something I would just have to try and see how it works out?
Right now I have the COBB stage 2 OTS 93 tune with an Airaid intake and a Cobb intercooler on the car and I love the way it runs.
Thanks for the feedback y'all!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts