Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have narrowed it down to two exhausts. Either the MBRP Street cat back or the Flowmaster Outlaw axle back. Who has one of these installed and can provide feedback. Positive or negative feedback is welcome. I am looking for a deeper tone without being obnoxious or droney. I am completely stock right now. Thanks

Also does anyone know if this coming weekend if American Muscle or CJ Pony Parts will have a sale?

Don

·
Registered
2016 EcoBoost - Auto
113 Posts
Forget axle back. While it will give you a teeny taste of volume increase, you'll probably be disappointed and want to ditch the oem resonator. That means more $$, especially if you're not the do it yurself type. The MBRP Race isn't much more than the axle backs and it's what I'm currently running. This was after swapping out my oem rez with a Magnaflow unit and deleting the mufflers. Sounded good with no rasp, but after a short while I still wanted more deep tone. The Race isn't obnoxious and has as about as deep a tone as we can hope for with our engine. MBRP usually runs a promo if you buy direct. Got 10% off using "MBRP10", along with free shipping :p (y). Go for the stainless if your ride ever sees road salt;)

·
Registered
153 Posts
I mean, I spent 500 on my axle backs, and another 200 on Roush y pipe, I like the sound. the oem pipes are just fine imo. I got higher quality 2 components paired w oem exhaust vs a cheaper all around system.

·
Registered
2016 EcoBoost - Auto
113 Posts
I mean, I spent 500 on my axle backs, and another 200 on Roush y pipe, I like the sound. the oem pipes are just fine imo. I got higher quality 2 components paired w oem exhaust vs a cheaper all around system.
I kinda get what you're saying, and please don't take this the wrong way, but how much of your catback setup is really "OEM" now? My previous setup was a Y-adapter off the Magnaflow rez with short sections of the stock system left in place mated with some straight pipes. $369 for the Magnaflow, 2x4.5" polished tips and labor. Not too shabby, but every time I got under the car I just got annoyed looking at a mixed bag.
Now it's true the MBRP is inexpensive, but it doesn't appear to be cheaply made. The goal is to next pair the MBRP with a 3" downpipe. Probably with an adapter to make it a true 3" turbo back system.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I can vouch for the Roush Axle-backs, a very nice sounding exhaust, not too loud... But everyone will hear you coming down the road!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Whatever you do, don't straight pipe it like the guys on facebook ha. I also have mbrp race, I can't speak for the street. Never heard it. I spent $500 something on mine on sale on AM. I did not get stainless though because my car doesn't see salt. It's deep, not raspy. It does drone a bit on the highway though. If that bothers you, the street may be more to your taste. Nothing against axle backs, but I wanted to get rid of the resonator, get 3 inch pipes, and do it efficiently and on budget. I feel I accomplished that.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I kinda get what you're saying, and please don't take this the wrong way, but how much of your catback setup is really "OEM" now? My previous setup was a Y-adapter off the Magnaflow rez with short sections of the stock system left in place mated with some straight pipes. $369 for the Magnaflow, 2x4.5" polished tips and labor. Not too shabby, but every time I got under the car I just got annoyed looking at a mixed bag.
Now it's true the MBRP is inexpensive, but it doesn't appear to be cheaply made. The goal is to next pair the MBRP with a 3" downpipe. Probably with an adapter to make it a true 3" turbo back system.
I only have a Roush Y pipe delete (250), and AWE touring axle back. (they are 600-700) I am happy with it, I chose this over regular catbacks. A cat back and my exhaust probably flow 99% the same. The stock piping is fine, I just wanted a certain sound and found the axelbakcs I liked, and then eliminated suitcase. no droning or anything.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I've been running MBRP street catback for a couple years now and I like it. Sounds deeper than stock, no rasp or drone, good for daily driver and long highway trips.

Reactions: JAKE

·
Registered
45 Posts
Whatever exhaust you end up getting, a new downpipe will do wonders for the tone. You don't have to kill the environment with catless, I have a high flow catted mbrp downpipe with some 3" pipe no resonator and generic mufflers that were on my friends shelf that I booger-welded as a project and it sounds great.

·
Registered
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible
8 Posts
I only paid $250.00 to have my local repair shop remove the suitcase (resonator) and install 2 Magnaflow knockoff free flow mufflers and to me it sounds nice without the drone. Soon to do the downpipe. But like everyone here says it's all to taste.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts