Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished installing the UPR dual valve catch can in my 2016. If you have large hands, don't even try taking that hose from the oil pan off from up top like they do in the installation video. Get it from under the car.

Anyways, after installing the catch can, I have steering assist, hill start assist, and traction control faults. Any idea what happened? Did I knock something loose?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Just finished installing the UPR dual valve catch can in my 2016. If you have large hands, don't even try taking that hose from the oil pan off from up top like they do in the installation video. Get it from under the car.

Anyways, after installing the catch can, I have steering assist, hill start assist, and traction control faults. Any idea what happened? Did I knock something loose?
EDIT- I remember hearing about this before, the ground bolt on the passenger side fender, you used it to mount the catchcan and created an electrical continuity problem, you will need to scrape away some paint to restore continuity.

On the driver side fender well, behind the factory airbox there is a small harness connector that is part of the traction control system, check to see if it is seated correctly, if it was unplugged it would cause the symptoms you describe.

Aside from that you could try a KAM reset, it resets the keep alive memory and all the computers learned values and can sometimes sort out ECU glitches.

It is a fairly simple process shown in the video.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks slojas. I checked all connections around the airbox, and they all seemed good. Then I scrapped some paint off the bottom and top of the bolt hole in the new catch can, and that did the trick! No more faults! If your ever in the Olymia/Tacoma area of Washington State, I owe you a beer!

·
Registered
570 Posts
I am in the snake oil camp when it comes to catch cans. I have heard all the arguments, here and on the other places, and am not convinced. Yes, I want to keep my car long term. If this was as big a deal as people make it out to be, manufacturers would provide them stock. None such exist with any manufacturer, as far as I know. Sorry you are having problems. One man's opinion, if you take it off and sell it, you will have less problems and more coin.

·
Administrator
6,675 Posts
I had the same symptoms after a mod or 2 that I did ... including new tires. Everything cleared after a start-run cycle or 2.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I am in the snake oil camp when it comes to catch cans. I have heard all the arguments, here and on the other places, and am not convinced. Yes, I want to keep my car long term. If this was as big a deal as people make it out to be, manufacturers would provide them stock. None such exist with any manufacturer, as far as I know. Sorry you are having problems. One man's opinion, if you take it off and sell it, you will have less problems and more coin.
Well Ford actually has their own oil catch can now for the EcoBoost.. other they think it's beneficial or they are trying to grab some of that cash we are throwing at catch cans.

·
Premium Member
1,937 Posts
EDIT- I remember hearing about this before, the ground bolt on the passenger side fender, you used it to mount the catchcan and created an electrical continuity problem, you will need to scrape away some paint to restore continuity.

On the driver side fender well, behind the factory airbox there is a small harness connector that is part of the traction control system, check to see if it is seated correctly, if it was unplugged it would cause the symptoms you describe.

Aside from that you could try a KAM reset, it resets the keep alive memory and all the computers learned values and can sometimes sort out ECU glitches.

It is a fairly simple process shown in the video.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Thanks for the post and YouTube video by fordtechmakolo! Good stuff!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts