Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
It has been a long journey, with my car in and out of two different shops and between two different tuners I finally hit the numbers I was looking for.
Mods are:
MAPerformance big turbo kit 5862 ball bearing
Map street intercooler
Map catted downpipe and charge pipes
Tial blow off valve
Turbosmart external wastegate(10lb spring)
MBRP street exhaust
NGK one step colder plugs
Custom dyno tune from Kinetic Autoworks with COBB AP
I just registered on this site but I’ve been reading every thread I saw for months now, learning everything I can from you guys so thank you all for your experience and wisdom.
I’ve run into so many issues along the way I thought this day would never come so I wanted to share this with you all since you helped me get here!
Hey Boosted! Nice mods man! I’m planning on something similar hopefully in the future but have no clue on the drive ability of such mods in the car. Does such mods affect daily driving? Mine is fully stock at the moment so I wonder if those mods would affect daily driving. Also, what’s an approximate cost that you can say you have spent to get there in power; nothing visual or handling I guess just the mods you have listed with the labor and tuner? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,682 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Looks great man! Thanks for sharing and good luck with the codes and getting back on the road!
Thanks man! So I ended up needing to replace an O2 sensor and that fixed the codes. With the broken wheel I also needed a new hub/bearings which I have installed so we’re back in shape now! Also, I just pulled the trigger on a carbon fiber ram air/heat extractor hood and the mmd v series upper/lower grill, can’t wait to get these suckers on!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hey Boosted! Nice mods man! I’m planning on something similar hopefully in the future but have no clue on the drive ability of such mods in the car. Does such mods affect daily driving? Mine is fully stock at the moment so I wonder if those mods would affect daily driving. Also, what’s an approximate cost that you can say you have spent to get there in power; nothing visual or handling I guess just the mods you have listed with the labor and tuner? Thanks!
Hey @SoDaGil thanks brother!! It was a good bit of work, time and money but I’d say it’s totally worth it in the end. Daily drivability, you can still drive like stock and just cruise but man it’s hard to stay out of the pedal when you know what’s there! As far as cost, mines probably a little more than average because some things weren’t done right the first time, I went through two different shops and tuners as well. I’d guess around $9000 including labor, tuning and parts. It got frustrating at some points and I felt like I was at a dead end sometimes, but I persevered and eventually hit my goals🤜🏼 I am very happy now that I saw things through and hope your journey to your goals is an awesome experience brother!👌🏼

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Oh another thing I wanted to share that I never see anywhere is that when you get a big turbo kit, don’t use the included hardware. I did and it just kept falling out over and over even after being heat cycled. I switched to stage 8 hardware and it hasn’t budged since.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Still waiting on the Anderson Composites carbon fiber hood/hood pins/squirter nozzle relocation kit and MMD V Series upper and lower grills. Thought I’d do some carbon fiber inside to hold me over til the hood arrives, I can’t wait. I’ve been doing a lot of monitoring and logging on my car to make sure the tune is right everywhere and so far things are looking good. I want to get out to do some pulls and get some numbers but I have to be super careful as I have points on my license which I accrued on my last car(C63 AMG, tunes and bolted). That and a lot of rain/traffic has been making it difficult. I really just need to get to capital race track but need smaller wheels and better tires first. As it sits now,even with traction control on, it just wants to get sideways whether from a full stop or if I’m already rolling it just kicks out. I guess I just focused on power first without being smart and balancing the handling evenly as I went. She is lowered and has a strut tower brace but that’s pretty much it for handling. After I get the hood and grilles done it’ll be suspension and wheels/tires and some track time. I’m dying to go get some quarter mile times but I know with these stock Pirelli’s I’ll be spinning half way down the track and very disappointed with the results. I’ll report back with pics once I’ve got the hood and grilles on. I’m hoping with the hood being a ram air with heat extractors it may lower my intake temps a bit, fingers crossed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
So I got the new MMD V Series grilles in! I think they look amazing and on a highway drive I just took(going 90-100)I actually got my IAT’s down to 3 degrees below ambient. Ambient was showing 53 degrees and Intake temp was 50 I couldn’t believe it. The best I had before the new grilles was 1* below ambient. Also, temps aren’t rising as fast while sitting still as well so all around a great mod I’d recommend. Please disregard the leftover double sided tape on the lower front bumper. It’s from when I switched chin splitters and I’m recovering from back surgery so I can’t bend over or squat that well or for very long without increasing pain. Next up is the carbon fiber ram air hood with heat extractors which is supposed to ship n Friday according to American muscle. I’m hoping that improves my IAT’s as well but we’ll see. Thanks guys!
B6054D1B-1857-4662-AD8F-1F67026C101F.jpeg
061717E5-EA96-4E9E-90A6-E632ABA1F2EE.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
2,966 Posts
You do know that IAT isn't really the important one to monitor, right? You need to look at Charge Air Temp, which isn't something the dash will show you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
You do know that IAT isn't really the important one to monitor, right? You need to look at Charge Air Temp, which isn't something the dash will show you.
Hey @zhent hows it going brother? Yes I do realize that but what I was thinking was wouldn’t lower intake temps help lower charge temps? I do have the Cobb AP and I’ll be sure to check that out next time out, thanks!

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Hey @zhent hows it going brother? Yes I do realize that but what I was thinking was wouldn’t lower intake temps help lower charge temps? I do have the Cobb AP and I’ll be sure to check that out next time out, thanks!
To expand on what I think @zhent is trying to say...with a small-ish turbo, that compresses the air into such a small volute (directly affecting temperature rise), the real clincher for performance is IAT2 (aka Charge Temp). So that's why everyone harps on getting a better IC as one of your "first mods".

But your supposition is correct, IMO. As with anything....better input, USUALLY means better output. So if your initial IAT is cooler, than that should make it easier for your IAT2 to stay cooler. I also noticed that the stock grill was lacking in this regard. I swapped mine out for the GT, dremeled out all the octagons, and added the Velossa Tech adapter. This has helped out IAT's tremendously.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
To expand on what I think @zhent is trying to say...with a small-ish turbo, that compresses the air into such a small volute (directly affecting temperature rise), the real clincher for performance is IAT2 (aka Charge Temp). So that's why everyone harps on getting a better IC as one of your "first mods".

But your supposition is correct, IMO. As with anything....better input, USUALLY means better output. So if your initial IAT is cooler, than that should make it easier for your IAT2 to stay cooler. I also noticed that the stock grill was lacking in this regard. I swapped mine out for the GT, dremeled out all the octagons, and added the Velossa Tech adapter. This has helped out IAT's tremendously.
Hey @gatornek thanks for the input! The intercooler was one of my first mods as everyone says the oem unit is junk and heat soaks pretty much instantly. I have the map street intercooler and the 5862 ball bearing turbo which should definitely help I think. What I want to ask you guys is do you think I would benefit from a larger intercooler at this point or is the map street sufficient for what I’m doing? Thanks in advance for the info guys!

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Hey @gatornek thanks for the input! The intercooler was one of my first mods as everyone says the oem unit is junk and heat soaks pretty much instantly. I have the map street intercooler and the 5862 ball bearing turbo which should definitely help I think. What I want to ask you guys is do you think I would benefit from a larger intercooler at this point or is the map street sufficient for what I’m doing? Thanks in advance for the info guys!
Check out this thread. You can start at the beginning, but my final determination is illustrated here:
Upgrading an upgraded IC

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Thanks @gatornek! Turns out I actually read your thread already lol, good stuff brother. What benefits have you seen from it? Much lower charge temps etc...
I think the higher volume of air that is being "cooled" in the IC core, just leads to a more robust intake "charge" when your foot is on the throttle. The street IC was awesome. It did the same job as my race in terms of bringing IAT2 down when I was on the throttle. Also, the race IC seems to "heatsoak" just as much as the street. But where I feel that maybe the race IC outperforms street, is in "duration" of the performance from pedal stomp to pedal ease, to back on pedal stomp. When I'm pushing PSI, I can kind of tell the difference. Every other time, not so much.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I think the higher volume of air that is being "cooled" in the IC core, just leads to a more robust intake "charge" when your foot is on the throttle. The street IC was awesome. It did the same job as my race in terms of bringing IAT2 down when I was on the throttle. Also, the race IC seems to "heatsoak" just as much as the street. But where I feel that maybe the race IC outperforms street, is in "duration" of the performance from pedal stomp to pedal ease, to back on pedal stomp. When I'm pushing PSI, I can kind of tell the difference. Every other time, not so much.
Excellent description and great information @gatornek thanks a lot man that’s very helpful.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts