Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So I’ve been driving my 2016 Mustang eco boost convertible with manual transmission since February. The only upgrade I’ve made is that I have committed to premium fuel full time. I think I’m ready for a modification. Something to make it sound and perform quicker/faster.I’m not sure where to start. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi all,

So I’ve been driving my 2016 Mustang eco boost convertible with manual transmission since February. The only upgrade I’ve made is that I have committed to premium fuel full time. I think I’m ready for a modification. Something to make it sound and perform quicker/faster.I’m not sure where to start. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mike
For sound and performance a cat back/axle back exhaust is a good bet for both. A cold air intake will create an induction sound as well but the performance aspect is debated or you can purchase a bypass valve for the turbo (or unplug the line). Two I recommend for performance are an upgraded intercooler and oil catch can. I have a 2016 convertible top with just about every bolt on it gets very addicting.

·
Registered
120 Posts
VVelcome! i recommend keeping a notebook to keep track of the plethora of aftermarket options because it can get overwhelming. Start a list and prioritize

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well for me it was the exhaust, it didn't sound good. You could get your mufflers deleted and a Y pipe for the resonator, or if you want it not that loud just the muffler delete!
That's the best price option. You could also go for a full exhaust

·
Registered
14 Posts
I went with the Ford Performance by Borla Touring cat-back exhaust as the first mod on my 2020 EB. This Wednesday I am installing the FP tune. Mostly staying with ford parts due to the warranty, if that is important to you.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hi all,

Mike
More air and less restriction is always a good and safe first start. Adding a high flow air filter or CAI will improve throttle response and be a small net power gain. Keep in mind that an enclosed air box is best to keep heat out of the air intake system. K&N is my personal choice but requires a cleaning kit after about 30-50k miles. I keep my stock air filter in the trunk and will use it when the K&N is drying.

For better sound you can go with either axle back, cat-back or complete turbo back exhaust. I can tell you my turbo back exhaust is loud inside the cabin when under throttle. The stock exhaust does a good job of keeping sound levels down and things get real noisy when you start messing around so choose wisely if you spend a lot of time in your car.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Obviously, people will tell you intercooler, etc.( Not a bad choice) seat of the pants feel....dought it....change your plugs a regular low miles intervals (15.000 mi.) Always use premium oil that can help LSPI, and get a stg1 tune...Ford, Cobb, etc

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
....change your plugs a regular low miles intervals (15.000 mi.)
Changing plugs at 15k intervals is just a waste of money. Ford recommends 100k intervals, not sure I would wait that long.

I changed mine at 45k and they looked perfect, no gap growth and no erosion. Contemplated putting the back in but decided to keep them as spares.

If you get sucked into the notion that colder plugs are better you will find that they will start misfiring at 12 to 15k miles and will need changing. General rule of thumb is you need to go a range colder for each additional 75HP gain. So unless you have made some significant increases in power a colder plug will just cost you more with no gains.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts