Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Mustang Ecoboost 2.3T/6A with aftermarket PP.
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my mustang lost electric steering and gives me failure warnings for steering hill assist and advance Trac. looks like I might have to go to the dealership. so maybe in 2-3 years they can look at it. tried to restart car, no change. tried disconnecting battery no change.

·
Super Moderator
3,243 Posts
When this comes up it's frequently the ABS sensors or related parts that have gone bad or worn out. It shouldn't take them years to fix...

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you know typically how much this cost to fix of its only the sensors or similar related parts ? I have an appointment scheduled for Thursday. the only problem is the dealership is 30 miles away and I have to get the car towed. luckily I have road side assistance and all that jazz with my Insurance company . good thing I was able to drive back to the house so I can wait at home for the tow truck. is it likely they would have the parts on hand to fix it or do you think they may have to order them? thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,243 Posts
OK, keep in mind that I can not and did not diagnose your car over the internet. Then I'll add the caveat that I have only seen this issue on the forum, never in person. So...

I have no earthly idea what it'll cost to fix. The last time I saw something like this the car owner managed to get the dealer to pick it up under warranty. Mustang parts don't seem to be cheap though, and dealer labor even less so. I won't take my car to a dealer again, and I have five Ford dealers within 15 miles of my house. Were you local to me, I would give you recommendations for at least as many private shops in a range of costs that I would trust to fix the car properly and quickly.

As I don't work at your (not so local) dealer I wouldn't have a clue what parts they keep in stock or not. Usually a dealer parts department would keep brake related parts in stock though.

·
Super Moderator
6,156 Posts
I think he's talking about me. I had a reluctor fail (hub) and Ford picked it up under the Power Train warranty. Parts were in stock at the dealer and I was in/out in a short time.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to drop my car off at the Ford dealer, 30 miles away from my house. I have a bad feeling that it won't get looked any time soon.

·
Registered
278 Posts
As you have a Dual Valve Catch Can that mounts to the same bolt that holds the EPAS ground wire, did you think of checking that the EPAS is in fact still getting a good solid ground ??

I've heard that this can be an issue ... may just want to check this before you call the flat bed.

Doug

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As you have a Dual Valve Catch Can that mounts to the same bolt that holds the EPAS ground wire, did you think of checking that the EPAS is in fact still getting a good solid ground ??

I've heard that this can be an issue ... may just want to check this before you call the flat bed.

Doug

the ground was tighten down well. I am not sure how to check the ground otherwise. how do I check this ? and it's too late. already drove the car to Ford.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Check that bolt is tight for starters, then check that bolt and ground wire terminal are clean & uncorroded then reinstall.

Also for best grounding, the ground wire needs to be on TOP of DVCC bracket under the bolt head, not sandwiched between the bracket & body.

Doug

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sure I could have tested the ground with some sort of testing tool. I dont which one to use on a ground wire test. I know I have a volt meter or whatever its called. I tested the battery its getting up to 15V during engine operation. the ground seemed tighten down snug. that does not mean there isn't a short or issue with it. im just not familiar with much electrical testing. it's already in Fords hands. I know everyone is busy in their own lives, I just wish people would be able to come here and say their thoughts before I drove the car here. I even called the mechanic that installed the catch can . he didnt even have an answer or guess. he should have atleast offered to revisit his work and see if something was loose or if the ground was shorting or weak. I would have preferred not to go to Ford. but I did what I had to do.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Check that bolt is tight for starters, then check that bolt and ground wire terminal are clean & uncorroded then reinstall.

Also for best grounding, the ground wire needs to be on TOP of DVCC bracket under the bolt head, not sandwiched between the bracket & body.

Doug

that makes sense. looking back i dont remember how the ground was tightened down. the placement. whether it was on top or below the dvcc bracket.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I don't go on the forums as often as I used to, so sorry I did not see your post sooner. Had I not seen the DVCC in your sig, I may not have thought to mention it.

EPAS issues due to poor grounding was a problem back in '15-16 when the catch cans first came out and there were discussions about it and how important it was to get the ground right. I've never had any EPAS issues in 88k / 4.5 years of all season driving with the ground strap on top.

Probably does not help that the UPR instructions still show the strap UNDER the catch can bracket ...
https://uprproducts.com/content/5030-104.pdf

Doug

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't go on the forums as often as I used to, so sorry I did not see your post sooner. Had I not seen the DVCC in your sig, I may not have thought to mention it.

EPAS issues due to poor grounding was a problem back in '15-16 when the catch cans first came out and there were discussions about it and how important it was to get the ground right. I've never had any EPAS issues in 88k / 4.5 years of all season driving with the ground strap on top.

Probably does not help that the UPR instructions still show the strap UNDER the catch can bracket ...

Doug
let's hope Ford starts with the simple things like the ground strap to see if that's the cause . I imagine it's very likely that the ground is positioned wrong

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

Doug

I understand.

Doug
I understand. we all have our own things going on and more often than not we aren't on these forums unless we have issues or want to brag about our upgrades, there has been times where I wouldn't get on these forums for months on end.

I read about ground issues after the DVCC install. I checked the ground it was tight but like you said it has to be on top of the bracket, otherwise it won't ground correctly. I dont remember if it was on top or not. if I would have read something that said that I would have checked it before the visit to Ford. its on me, I should have thought about that when I was checking stuff yesterday. it just never occurred to me that where the ground touches is important. Oh well..let's hope Ford earns that money lol.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Doug

Guess what? Winner, Winner...Chicken Dinner!

20201015_210824 (5).jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts