Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of curiosity... Has anyone ventured into the realm of stuffing Focus RS internals into an EcoBoost Mustang. Stock performance on the RS is 360 HP and about 350 torque with overboost. Ive heard that the Focus RS engine is built to handle 500 HP from the factory by cosworth. Tune the car with an intake, downpipe and exhaust and you would have a killer beast at close to 400 HP...

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
The pistons, rods and crankshaft all have the same part numbers.

-The block casting for the RS has some slight differences.
-The RS has an integrated oil cooler.
-The cylinder head on the RS has a different coolant channel design and different valve springs.
-The turbo on the RS has a 10 blade compressor wheel compared the Mustangs 8.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
570 Posts
I think the way to go is to use a focus 2.0 closed deck block with Mustang ecoboost crank (factory forged) I would run aftermarket rods/pistons, and run the RS head or the Livernois head. The RS turbo is about 10% bigger than the Mustang as noted by Slojas. I would look at the available larger options such as Vargas, CPE, etc. I would think that the above configuration would be able to support 600 wheel hp with the right turbo and cams. It would be a stronger motor than what you can build with the 2.3 blocks. Of course you would need aux fueling such as the HPFP and a good tune. I would run E85/Flex tune.

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
For the cost of dropping in an RS motor, then adding a tune, an intake, downpipe and exhaust... You might as well just buy a wrecked GT and transfer the V8, ECU and exhaust over and have over 400Hp with ease. :)

·
Registered
703 Posts
The pistons, rods and crankshaft all have the same part numbers.

-The block casting for the RS has some slight differences.
-The RS has an integrated oil cooler.
-The cylinder head on the RS has a different coolant channel design and different valve springs.
-The turbo on the RS has a 10 blade compressor wheel compared the Mustangs 8.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Interesting information on the RS motor vs base Mustang motor. What other OEM parts will change over??

·
Registered
703 Posts
The 2020 HPP turbo has a 63 mm impeller.
I've also been told by another HPP owner that in addition to the turbocharger, "the head is slightly different". But he didn't know what head studs or head gasket is used!?
I also am guessing that there are some changes to the ECU programing...?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I've also been doing a little research on the Mazda L motor and wondering if any OEM or aftermarket parts are interchangeable with our Ecoboost motor. I did learn that the pre-L Mazda motor had a steel block.
And that the Ford Ecoboost 1.0 has a steel block.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've also been told by another HPP owner that in addition to the turbocharger, "the head is slightly different". But he didn't know what head studs or head gasket is used!?
The Focus RS head is made by Cosworth; I believe it's the same in the HPP. I thought the head was just tuned by them but this says it's cast and machined by them. Car and Driver article about the RS. I believe the accessory mounts are different between the HPP and RS motors since one is fwd and the other rwd

·
Registered
703 Posts
The Focus RS head is made by Cosworth; I believe it's the same in the HPP. I thought the head was just tuned by them but this says it's cast and machined by them. Car and Driver article about the RS. I believe the accessory mounts are different between the HPP and RS motors since one is fwd and the other rwd

"Cast-iron cylinder liners"
I've been looking for that information for the past 2 years! My only other questions are concerning what type of connecting rods and head bolts they are using (kind of confirms that we shouldn't push our all aluminum blocks past 350 hp)?

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
All 2.3 Ecoboost blocks have cast iron cylinder liners, for that matter, all displacement Ecoboost blocks have cast iron liners. There are some exotics that have plasma sprayed coatings applied directly to an aluminum bore but no one gets to run rings against an aluminum bore.

Dave

·
Registered
703 Posts
All 2.3 Ecoboost blocks have cast iron cylinder liners, for that matter, all displacement Ecoboost blocks have cast iron liners. There are some exotics that have plasma sprayed coatings applied directly to an aluminum bore but no one gets to run rings against an aluminum bore.

Dave
I thought Ford used a coating on the cylinder walls, instead of a pressed in liner, on their aluminum block motors...?

·
Registered
2020 Ford Mustang 6MT HPP/HP
110 Posts
I have tried to verify the different parts used on the HPP as compared to a standard ecoboost. The local Ford parts guy could not find any differences. The factory service manual shows a different engine part number. The compression ratio is lowered from 9.5 standard to 9.37 HPP. This points to a different head gasket, most probably. The Focus RS had an issue where the factory used the wrong head gasket for some engines, and the the engines had issues. The ECM programming is probably very close to the Ford Perfromance programming with a slightly larger turbo impeller. Ford's tech specs imply some differences (block, piston rings, cylinder head) but I cannot confirm them.
1FA6P8TD8L5143XXX1FA6P8TH8L5188091
HPPRegular
EngineLR3E- 6007-AALR3E- 6007-CA
Cylinder head?EJ7Z-6049A
Head GasketHighly probable DifferentEJ7Z-6051E
Block?LR3Z-6010A
Piston
Piston RingsTech Specs
Exhaust CamshaftIf from Focus RS

·
Registered
703 Posts
Several engine builders advertise using the 2.0 block, which comes in front wheel drive cars. Why not use the 2.3L RS block and make the same modifications to fit our rear wheel drive Mustangs and accessories...??

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
The 2.0 block is a closed deck and it stronger than the 2.3 block. The open deck 2.3 is to aid in cooling that allows the engine to run acceptably on 87 octane.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
703 Posts
The 2.0 block is a closed deck and it stronger than the 2.3 block. The open deck 2.3 is to aid in cooling that allows the engine to run acceptably on 87 octane.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk
An open deck running cooler makes sense to me!
I guess Ford knows what they're doing...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Several engine builders advertise using the 2.0 block, which comes in front wheel drive cars. Why not use the 2.3L RS block and make the same modifications to fit our rear wheel drive Mustangs and accessories...??
If the goal is big HP the RS engine still has the same weakness. Thus the recommendation for the semi 2.0. If the goal isn't big HP i doubt it would make that much of a difference between the RS and Mustang 2.3 when modding and custom tuning.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts