Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Bimmers are pretty notorious for this. I'd be very curious also, but I've yet to see someone that has done this on our car.How does walnut blasting prevent the large pieces of carbon from entering the turbo? I would assume it would have to be vacuumed out of the cylinder or something.
Watch the video. The guy actually does it a littlesloppy because he should have a vacuum attached. But essentially, there is a specific plastic molding for the Ford 2.0,2.3 intake header ports. This is one on ebay.

Ford Focus ST Ecoboost 2.0L intake valve Carbon Cleaner Walnut Blasting Adapter | eBay

So you essentially fit that piece into the cylinder port you wanna work on, after you have rotated the engine so the valves are shut closed. Then you simply attach a vacuum to the other side, and then use a small diamter wand sprayer to fit into that small hole. Simply spray away and vacuum out until all the carbon is gone. Nothing falls in, because it should all be vacuumed out.

It looks so easy I may try it myself. But again, I'd like to get a look at how much carbon cakes up on these, before I make a decision of how and when.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Watch the video. The guy actually does it a littlesloppy because he should have a vacuum attached. But essentially, there is a specific plastic molding for the Ford 2.0,2.3 intake header ports. This is one on ebay.

Ford Focus ST Ecoboost 2.0L intake valve Carbon Cleaner Walnut Blasting Adapter | eBay

So you essentially fit that piece into the cylinder port you wanna work on, after you have rotated the engine so the valves are shut closed. Then you simply attach a vacuum to the other side, and then use a small diamter wand sprayer to fit into that small hole. Simply spray away and vacuum out until all the carbon is gone. Nothing falls in, because it should all be vacuumed out.

It looks so easy I may try it myself. But again, I'd like to get a look at how much carbon cakes up on these, before I make a decision of how and when.
Yeah I want to see what an Eco at 100K without a catch can looks like. Would still love to get to the bottom of these two codes I'm getting but they appear to only generate from a cold start.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

Just noticed that adapter is for the Focus 2.0 eco, which is not the same engine size. Not sure the intake manifold intake on the engine is the same size though.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Just noticed that adapter is for the Focus 2.0 eco, which is not the same engine size. Not sure the intake manifold intake on the engine is the same size though.
Yes. I believe the heads are the same. It's the block underneath that is different, if I'm not mistaken. Ours is a 2.3, the Focus was a 2.0...but I believe the head is exactly the same. In which case, I would believe that to be the needed adapter. I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Ford replacement bare 2.3 cylinder heads are available every where fir $600. Bare 2.3 blocks are $600 too.

Dave

21 - 27 of 27 Posts