Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Bimmers are pretty notorious for this. I'd be very curious also, but I've yet to see someone that has done this on our car.How does walnut blasting prevent the large pieces of carbon from entering the turbo? I would assume it would have to be vacuumed out of the cylinder or something.
Watch the video. The guy actually does it a littlesloppy because he should have a vacuum attached. But essentially, there is a specific plastic molding for the Ford 2.0,2.3 intake header ports. This is one on ebay.

Ford Focus ST Ecoboost 2.0L intake valve Carbon Cleaner Walnut Blasting Adapter | eBay

So you essentially fit that piece into the cylinder port you wanna work on, after you have rotated the engine so the valves are shut closed. Then you simply attach a vacuum to the other side, and then use a small diamter wand sprayer to fit into that small hole. Simply spray away and vacuum out until all the carbon is gone. Nothing falls in, because it should all be vacuumed out.

It looks so easy I may try it myself. But again, I'd like to get a look at how much carbon cakes up on these, before I make a decision of how and when.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Watch the video. The guy actually does it a littlesloppy because he should have a vacuum attached. But essentially, there is a specific plastic molding for the Ford 2.0,2.3 intake header ports. This is one on ebay.

Ford Focus ST Ecoboost 2.0L intake valve Carbon Cleaner Walnut Blasting Adapter | eBay

So you essentially fit that piece into the cylinder port you wanna work on, after you have rotated the engine so the valves are shut closed. Then you simply attach a vacuum to the other side, and then use a small diamter wand sprayer to fit into that small hole. Simply spray away and vacuum out until all the carbon is gone. Nothing falls in, because it should all be vacuumed out.

It looks so easy I may try it myself. But again, I'd like to get a look at how much carbon cakes up on these, before I make a decision of how and when.
Yeah I want to see what an Eco at 100K without a catch can looks like. Would still love to get to the bottom of these two codes I'm getting but they appear to only generate from a cold start.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

Just noticed that adapter is for the Focus 2.0 eco, which is not the same engine size. Not sure the intake manifold intake on the engine is the same size though.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Just noticed that adapter is for the Focus 2.0 eco, which is not the same engine size. Not sure the intake manifold intake on the engine is the same size though.
Yes. I believe the heads are the same. It's the block underneath that is different, if I'm not mistaken. Ours is a 2.3, the Focus was a 2.0...but I believe the head is exactly the same. In which case, I would believe that to be the needed adapter. I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Ford replacement bare 2.3 cylinder heads are available every where fir $600. Bare 2.3 blocks are $600 too.

Dave

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Just an update on this since I kind of forgot about this thread:
I did finally get a compression test done on the engine and everything checked out. The Ford master mechanic told me that he doubts there was any damage done, but to check my oil when I do a change. He also checked on my NGK plugs, which were fine, but the gap on cylinder 3 was wider for some reason. Corrected the gap.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've looked and looked and have never been able to find a 2.3 Eco with any carbon buildup issues on the intake valves. I've even talked to 2.3 Eco owners with over 100,000 miles and no catch cans, that have had no issues. From what I've seen, most of Ford's issues were with early 3.5 Ecos.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I've looked and looked and have never been able to find a 2.3 Eco with any carbon buildup issues on the intake valves. I've even talked to 2.3 Eco owners with over 100,000 miles and no catch cans, that have had no issues. From what I've seen, most of Ford's issues were with early 3.5 Ecos.
Check out this video. It's the only one I've come across that actually is an Eco Mustang and photographs the state of the valves. They don't look 'caked on horrific'. But they do look like they could use a good cleaning. I'm not sure if he was using a catchcan. Now that I'm coming up on 50K miles, I'm going to get one of those cheap "borescope" cameras on eBay, remove the manifold one day, and check mine out. If they look as bad as this, I'm going to arrange for a walnut blasting also.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Check out this video. It's the only one I've come across that actually is an Eco Mustang and photographs the state of the valves. They don't look 'caked on horrific'. But they do look they could use a good cleaning. I'm not sure if he was using a catchcan. Now that I'm coming up on 50K miles, I'm going to get one of those cheap "borescope" cameras on eBay, remove the manifold one day, and check mine out. If they look as bad as this, I'm going to arrange for a walnut blasting also.

I have yet to find a place local that will do it.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I have yet to find a place local that will do it.
I found one guy on Facebook in South Florida. He has a bunch of pictures of beamers posted before and after, and it looks like he does a fabulous job. But to be honest, it does not look all that difficult. However, it also looks like something you may at least have someone show you the tips, tricks, and pitfalls before actually injecting walnut material into your block. LOL. All you really need is a decent size air compressor (one big complaint I keep reading about is having to keep waiting for the compressor to fill back up), have a decent shop vac on hand, ENSURE your valves are CLOSED (probably the biggest thing of all!), and make sure you get the right adapters, starting with this one:

Ford Ecoboost 2.3L intake valve Carbon Cleaner Walnut Blasting Adapter | eBay

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I found one guy on Facebook in South Florida. He has a bunch of pictures of beamers posted before and after, and it looks like he does a fabulous job. But to be honest, it does not look all that difficult. However, it also looks like something you may at least have someone show you the tips, tricks, and pitfalls before actually injecting walnut material into your block. LOL. All you really need is a decent size air compressor (one big complaint I keep reading about is having to keep waiting for the compressor to fill back up), have a decent shop vac on hand, ENSURE your valves are CLOSED (probably the biggest thing of all!), and make sure you get the right adapters, starting with this one:

Ford Ecoboost 2.3L intake valve Carbon Cleaner Walnut Blasting Adapter | eBay
I think we actually discussed this before on one of my other threads. If it was just a couple hundred bucks I'd be willing to pay someone to do it. Doing it myself would probably stress me out.
What part of SF? I live in the Clearwater area currently.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I think we actually discussed this before on one of my other threads. If it was just a couple hundred bucks I'd be willing to pay someone to do it. Doing it myself would probably stress me out.
What part of SF? I live in the Clearwater area currently.
Im down in Miami.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
The before pictures in that video don't look any worse than some of the high mileage port injected / carbureted engines i have taken apart over the years.

With that small amount of build up i would say one of the top end cleaners like CRC would work without taking the engine apart.

Dave

21 - 36 of 36 Posts