Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping that once the 2015 Mustang Ecoboost comes out it will be similar in performance (especially compared relative to the V8 model) as the old SVO Mustang was back in the day. With some mods and tweaks the SVO Turbo 4 could put the V8 to shame.

For those of you who don't know much about it, you can read some here: Ford Mustang SVO - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was lucky enough to own an 85-1/2 SVO. Man that thing was fun. I still kick myself today for ever selling it. I sure would like to have it sitting next to my Magnetic EB in the garage.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a chance to buy one years back for $700 and missed out by an hour before someone else snagged it. Ended up spending $600 on a 1990 Thunderbird SC for parts instead. Nothing beats learning about cars by tearing them apart and trying to put them back together again!

·
Super Moderator
6,325 Posts
I like the simple of that one I posted. All base (no power windows/doors no ac) plus the comp prep package. All business.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There was a guy here in the St.Louis area that consistently ran in the 9's on the 1/4 mile with his SVO turbo 4 stang. Not sure if he is still around, but he was pretty fun to watch dominating many of the other cars. Obviously he had some serious investment in the vehicle :)

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Yeah he had money dropped in that for sure if he was running 9's. Give people time with these cars and they will be doing the same thing

·
Registered
58 Posts
my first car...1980 Mustang Cobra. 2.3 L carb'd turbo 4 cylinder; 132 hp. 4 speed manual. TRX package (metric wheels/tires that wore slap out in a year). factory equipped with Recaros.
predecessor to the SVO.
in retrospect, it was a POS but to a 17 year old it was the bomb. 30 years later I bought the modern interpretation of it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
(Runs and buys SVO badges, slaps them on my new TurboStang.....pretend that I know what I am talking about).....:rolleyes:

Guess I could buy an ST badge and call it the ST version of the Mustang, but the SVO sounds so much cooler.....:cool:, and would strike up some interesting conversation...lol

·
Registered
55 Posts
Here's an 86 SVO with an EcoBoost! This was a fun project. Sure would have been easier if we knew about the 2.3 coming out in the right drive direction! Although working with Ford, we do see they came up with some of the same solutions. My brother in law gets the credit for this. I was mearly the unhired help.

1986 Ford Mustang SVO 2.0L EcoBoost

·
Registered
55 Posts
Reactions: hollywood37343

·
Registered
58 Posts
could put a Cobra badge on my EB but think that would be a foul.

·
Super Moderator
6,325 Posts
(Runs and buys SVO badges, slaps them on my new TurboStang.....pretend that I know what I am talking about).....:rolleyes:

Guess I could buy an ST badge and call it the ST version of the Mustang, but the SVO sounds so much cooler.....:cool:, and would strike up some interesting conversation...lol
I've actually had some great conversations resulting from the SVO badge. It has been on both sides of the topic, the people who have no clue what SVO was, and the die-hard fans who have/had an SVO. I have not gotten any negative comments on mine.

Here's an 86 SVO with an EcoBoost! This was a fun project. Sure would have been easier if we knew about the 2.3 coming out in the right drive direction! Although working with Ford, we do see they came up with some of the same solutions. My brother in law gets the credit for this. I was mearly the unhired help.

1986 Ford Mustang SVO 2.0L EcoBoost
That is my plan, however I'm going to use a '83 T-Top GT-Turbo for the recipient of the Ecoboost mill.

Reactions: Bftuuri

·
Registered
55 Posts
Cool! Warning. It's allot of work. Fab bed motor mounts, bell housing adapter, and cutting into the firewall to mention a few. Good luck, but it's worth it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Anyone remember the factory Pinto turbo cars. They made them just one year. Had one, they actually were pretty fast. One major problem (besides exploding fuel tanks) was they tended to leave the pavement at speed. Or how about the ugly Mercury Merkurs, Roush took them to what, 4 or 5 TransAm championships. Made just as much HP as the V8 cars, and got a weight break.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts