Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering 20 mm spacers all around, but am concerned my rotor hub studs might still crash into the wheel hub pockets. I mined this site (and others) for some data, but couldn't find what I needed. So I took a wheel off, took some pics and measurements and figured I'd post for others.

My personal conclusion is that 20 mm is the minimum size spacer I can use without crashing the original studs into the wheel stud pockets. I have 30 mm studs, less 20 mm for spacer, leaves 10 mm proud of spacer surface. My wheels have 10-11 mm deep pockets on the backside.

Info for reference only. If you are unsure about whether this info applies to your Mustang, please contact a professional. I'm definitely not that guy. Best of luck.

My car:
2016 Ecoboost Premium
20" Foundry Black Wheel Package
Standard Brakes

30 mm: Length of stud from rotor top hat
Wheel Hub Stud - 30 mm (1).JPG

10-11 mm: Depth of wheel hub pocket (backside of 20" Foundry Black wheel)
1st pic: tape over pocket, with scale punching through, showing ~10 mm from center-point
2nd pic: no tape and bad camera angle, but I still estimate it at ~10 mm near side of pocket
OEM 20 inch wheel pocket - 10 mm (1).JPG

OEM 20 inch wheel pocket - 10 mm (2).JPG

·
Super Moderator
6,434 Posts
(Hint: use a ruler with the scale you are referencing -- you're talking mm, but displaying 32/nd's of an inch.)

Without anything you have 3" of available thread. When you put the spacer on, how much available thread do you have?

My worry with spacers is the extra stress put on to the lug/studs. You are changing the geometry of the front end by moving the tires out by 20mm, (it doesn't seem like much, but with the weight and force generated in turns/etc it multiplies a lot). Having the most thread area available to the nuts is key. Also, align with the spacers on.

I'm not a fan of wheel spacers myself, and I've also replaced my wheel studs with ARP units for extra security.

but am concerned my rotor hub studs might still crash into the wheel hub pockets.
I'm still not understanding what you mean here.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Squid. The Eibach spacers I'm looking at include studs. You use the car's existing studs to mount the spacer and the spacer studs to mount the wheel. So there's no issue with thread engagement. But depending on spacer thickness, you may have the existing studs poking proud of the spacer surface. Based on my measurements, with a 30 mm existing stud, I'll have 10 mm poking up. And the pockets in my 20" OEM wheel are roughly 10-11 deep. So that's my concern.

upload_2017-11-25_10-13-40.png

Yep, you're 100% right about revising the geometry/load impact. Yeah, I'm trying to conveniently forget that.

And FYI . . . I'm using the top side of the scale, which is millimeters.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,434 Posts
And FYI . . . I'm using the top side of the scale, which is millimeters.
Gotcha --- I couldn't read the scale. FWIW I'm more a fan of the metric system ... much less confusing conversions.

The Eibach spacers I'm looking at include studs.
Send an e-mail to eibach and ask the question. They should be able to confirm the depth of the spacer and nuts. I'd guess (without having one in my hand that if you have 20mm of spacer and 30mm of stud, you'd have 10mm of stud extra. I guess that I'd be worried about the shoulder of the provided nuts.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DUN . . . 20mm Eibach spacers. Confirmed I have 10mm of original wheel stud after install. Its no problem for my winter wheels. The recesses on the back side are pretty deep. My OEM wheels will just make it, IMO.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,560 Posts
Reactions: ZStang

·
Super Moderator
3,560 Posts
looking good

·
Registered
181 Posts
Looks good man, only those with a trained eye will notice...

·
Registered
324 Posts
I am thinking the same but not sure what size to use. Seems most put 25mm all round. My
Current wheels are stock. P Zero 255/40 ZR 19. Going to use centric hub spacers. Any one have an opinion on what size is best. Secondly after fitting should you reset the alignment front and back?

·
Registered
817 Posts
I am thinking the same but not sure what size to use. Seems most put 25mm all round. My
Current wheels are stock. P Zero 255/40 ZR 19. Going to use centric hub spacers. Any one have an opinion on what size is best. Secondly after fitting should you reset the alignment front and back?
I used (now have for sale) a set of 25mm spacers from CJ Pony Parts. Used them with PP wheels and P Zero 255/40 ZR 19's.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Looks great. Are you selling the car or the spacers?

Secondly did you have any wheel rub issues or other problems?

Thirdly did you have the alignment reset after fitting the spacers?

Trying to make a decision whether to go ahead and do this.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Looks great. Are you selling the car or the spacers?

Secondly did you have any wheel rub issues or other problems?

Thirdly did you have the alignment reset after fitting the spacers?

Trying to make a decision whether to go ahead and do this.

Oh I have another question. What do you mean by PP wheels?
I am selling the spacers as I got new wheels and tires this Spring. Here's the posting: 2015-2017 Ecoboost Mustang Performance Pack Wheels and Tires/Spacers

No wheel rub issues at all. The spacers were designed for the S550 Mustangs using stock wheels.

Nope, alignment is not necessary.

PP Wheels = Performance Pack Wheels but these spacers work with any Ecoboost stock wheels.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts