Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forums, but wanted to post a review of the FP Tune that I got earlier in the week. Let me start off with this. I installed it myself. My father in law is a certified ASE Mechanic so getting the warranty transferred over was no issue. That being said, I have seen many people that say that the install took longer than expected at the dealer and I can see why. I had an issue downloading the file myself. Basically, you download the software to your computer (in my case laptop). You then follow the instructions on downloading the file but everytime I tried to download the file, it would come up with a 505 error. Basically, the fix for this was to just keep trying. The first file it downloaded was a pdf with instructions and then the tune file. I then proceeded to install the tune. It does just like any tune, and wipes the car clean and makes you worry for a minute or so as you look at your blank slate car that wont run, but after about 2-3 minutes, it was done.

Now, I know that the calibration has to learn the Octane so I didnt expect a huge gain at first. The first thing I noticed was that the shifts were a whole lot smoother in Sport Plus Mode (which is the main mode I drive in). Before, its like the car was tuned to give all the torque in the lower RPM range (trying to give a V8 feeling) and when the car shifted it gave you slight whiplash to say the least. My wife wouldnt ride with me if I had it in anything but Normal due to this. I can say that is gone now with the FP Tune for me. I am having to learn the difference now though because I tend to be driving faster because I was so use to the shift changes being so noticeable before the tune.

I still havent gotten the benefit of faster 0-60 times via the Track App on the car. This could be because the ECU hasnt adjusted fully to the octane. Which brings one downside to this tune. It HAS to adjust. The car may feel slower to you in the first few days depending on how much driving you do. For me, it actually felt faster but my 0-60 times proved it was slower. My best 0-60 is 5.48 currently with the stock tune and intercooler on a cold run. My best time so far with the tune is 6.1 on a cold run with stock intercooler. I'm in the process of purchasing a new intercooler btw. That tells me that the tune hasnt taken full effect with the higher octane fuel. I will be doing another run next week sometime to see if there is an improvement. If after a new intercooler in the coming weeks, if there is no improvement I may chock it up as a loss and just get a Cobb Tune once the warranty expires. I dont expect that to happen though as I just think the car hasnt adjusted yet.

I want to add this final note. I know on the 15-17 vehicles the tune kills the fake exhaust note from the speakers. I noticed after the tune that the exhaust seems louder than before. This could just be me as I havent confirmed but I wonder if the tune for the 18-19 keeps the fake noise. Again, I could be completely wrong and just be imagining it but it is there and louder than before.

Overall, only time will tell if the tune was worth it for me. I will keep this thread updated in the upcoming weeks on any improvements on times, etc.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just curious and I bet someone here can answer...

With the FP tune installed (or even the Cobb canned tunes), can you speed up the octane learning by doing partial -boost pulls in 3rd or 4th gear the same way you would on the stock tune? Or does it work differently when not on the stock tune?

In case anyone reading doesn't know what I'm talking about --

If your OAR number is too high due to bad gas or low octane gas or whatever, and you then fill up with good gas and want to quickly make the OAR adjust, you can do a few 10-12 second pulls in 3rd or 4th gear-- keeping boost around 5 to 10 psi -- and the OAR should adjust downwards after each one (assuming your fuel is good now).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont know the answer to that one. I have always ran 93 octane in the car since getting it in April before installing the tune, so it has it in there now. I was told by the dealer when I got the car that if I wanted to have full power to use premium fuel so I always did.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’m optimistic the intercooler is going to help out. My ATM IC made my car so much more consistent. However once you hit 95 ish degrees, it only slows down heat soak if you push the car hard over and over in the heat.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks for the initial report on the FP tune. I look forward to your future experience. I'm on the fence between the FP for it's warranty protection and Cobb for it's better interface, monitoring and also eliminating the top speed limiter (mine's a base). I already installed a Garrett I/C and felt better breathing past 5K on the stock tune.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Weekend Update. On the stock intercooler currenlty and will probably will be for a while. My pressure washer went out and I purchased a new one over the weekend so my budget for the intercooler is a bust this month. I can definitely tell an improvement overall now though as I'm thinking the ECU has learned the octane. My best 0-60 time is now 5.2s (fyi, im in a convertible). Next month, I should get a better intercooler and I expect to be at least 4.9-5.0 . After that, I will probably be done with any more mods to the vehicle.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another Update: A buddy of mine who has a 15' Charger V6 and I decided to do some closed road racing/testing late yesterday. Usually, I beat him from start to finish (stock). I usually jump out before him and he never has a chance. Now, that has changed. Spoiler Alert: He still loses but differently. He now gets me on the take off but the car PULLS and I Mean PULLS all the way to the red line like never before. He basically got a half car length on me at the start but then I just kept on pulling all the way to 9th (10 speed auto in Sport Plus) and he was way behind as normal. The FP tune has added power to the redline that I never had before. I noticed this as well the other day when an old lady in her buick jumped me at a stop light and I usually always get the jump. I also want to add that in stock mode in Sport or Sport Plus I know that the auto wont go to 10th gear but since the tune, when I am on the interstate cruising, it will go into 10th gear on its own. I havent been able to replicate it racing or any other way but when I am doing 80-90 (i know, i know) on the interstate it will change to 10th until I drop below 80 and then back into 9th.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Has anyone gotten the FP power pack and had a turbo back exhaust on? I have an '18 eco performance pack on the way and would like to do a FMIC, downpipe and cat back exhaust and then add the Ford tune. Just didn't know if the tune would play well with all of that. I want the bump in numbers from Ford but would like the sound of a better DP and exhaust.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 2019 a10, non -pp model, ford tune and mishimotto IC.

Just did three back to back 0-60 pulls in South Florida 90+ f weather..

0-30 was 2.2

Bone stock I was at 6.1... 0-60

I am thinking at night time when its cooler I can get to may be 5.2 -5.3?

My exhaust is all stock..

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had a local dealer service dept install the ProCal 3 tune on my car. I got the kit from LMR as that was the best price I could find. The service advisor at first was hesitant about installing something that I didn't buy from them, but a service manager said no problem, it's Ford Performance so of course we can do the tune. Anyway, I got it mostly because I heard that it smooths out some of the rougher edges of the 2.3L EB/10R80 drivetrain and adds a touch of power. My EB isn't radically modded, just the K&N drop in filter, a Mishi Performance IC and pipes and a MagnaFlow catback exhaust. The ProCal 3 tune was done on Jun 10th. I don't have any empirical data before or after the tune, but it 'feels' better. The mileage when it was done was 8346 and right now the car is at 8755. Not sure how long the learning curve is supposed to take. My Mustang is just my toy, I don't roadrace or dragstrip it. I basically just want something that is different than vanilla stock and is uniquely mine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Weekend Update. On the stock intercooler currenlty and will probably will be for a while. My pressure washer went out and I purchased a new one over the weekend so my budget for the intercooler is a bust this month. I can definitely tell an improvement overall now though as I'm thinking the ECU has learned the octane. My best 0-60 time is now 5.2s (fyi, im in a convertible). Next month, I should get a better intercooler and I expect to be at least 4.9-5.0 . After that, I will probably be done with any more mods to the vehicle.
5.2 on stock IC is very impressive, I can't break 5.4 with the Ford tune and IC upgrade... What size tires do you have? I have 19x8.5 ( from black accent package).

I have only tried three pulls, I have about 400 miles into the tune... Maybe needs more time to completely adjust.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I use the stock tires that came on the the car. This past weekend though I couldnt get below 6.0 on any runs I tried. It all depends on the outside temps and how long I have driven. My best pulls have come from 6am and temps below 70 degrees or right at it outside and literally going 1/2 a mile down the road to where there is a straight area with no homes and I would be lucky to see 2 cars on any given day come down the road. Typically, on an average day i'm in the upper 5's to mid 6's which is what I was getting on the stock tune as well. My best 0-60 is still 5.29s . That was last weekend around 5:30am on Sunday and the outside temp was 68 degrees and the car had been running about 10 minutes before the run. My best runs come in Drag Mode and letting the car shift itself. I also never had the tires chirp on that 5.29 run like it normally does when changing gears for me in Drag Mode. I'm not in the car today (drove my explorer sport due to the heavy rain we have been getting) but I will post a pic from the track app for you all of the 5.29 time the next time I drive it. The biggest thing I have seen from the tune is just that the car is smoother and doesnt jerk me around when the auto changes gears like it use to. It has power throughout the band and pulls all the way to the redline. The lown end RPM pull is ALOT less than it use to be though. You really feel the power around 3000-3500 RPMS then it pulls to the redline, unlike before where it dropped off after 3500-4000 rpms.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I use the stock tires that came on the the car. This past weekend though I couldnt get below 6.0 on any runs I tried. It all depends on the outside temps and how long I have driven. My best pulls have come from 6am and temps below 70 degrees or right at it outside and literally going 1/2 a mile down the road to where there is a straight area with no homes and I would be lucky to see 2 cars on any given day come down the road. Typically, on an average day i'm in the upper 5's to mid 6's which is what I was getting on the stock tune as well. My best 0-60 is still 5.29s . That was last weekend around 5:30am on Sunday and the outside temp was 68 degrees and the car had been running about 10 minutes before the run. My best runs come in Drag Mode and letting the car shift itself. I also never had the tires chirp on that 5.29 run like it normally does when changing gears for me in Drag Mode. I'm not in the car today (drove my explorer sport due to the heavy rain we have been getting) but I will post a pic from the track app for you all of the 5.29 time the next time I drive it. The biggest thing I have seen from the tune is just that the car is smoother and doesnt jerk me around when the auto changes gears like it use to. It has power throughout the band and pulls all the way to the redline. The lown end RPM pull is ALOT less than it use to be though. You really feel the power around 3000-3500 RPMS then it pulls to the redline, unlike before where it dropped off after 3500-4000 rpms.
Thanks for the info, I feel much better about my three back to back runs in 90f weather...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info, I feel much better about my three back to back runs in 90f weather...

Yeah my average according to the app for avg runs is 6.4s. The 5.2 and 5.4 before it were just everything lining up just right because I haven't been able to replicate it since.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've been wondering how the Tune is.

Funny how the car with pp is "rated" for a 5.1 0-60, but it seems almost impossible to get. The best time I was able to get was 5.3 0-60 and 2.2 0-30. Though the most recent runs I've been getting 5.8 seconds, maybe 5.6 (Which isn't even close, what the heck lol). Not sure what I did to get 5.3, which was closest to that magical 5.1. My car is also stock by the way.

You'd think everyone would be getting more mid 5s, if it was rated at 5.1, but these high 5s seem to be the normal I guess? Any tips to be getting better times?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here are my times in the pic. As you can see, my avg is 6.6s . I think when they do 0-60's they do multiple runs and use the fastest time as the advertised 0-60 time.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Here are my times in the pic. As you can see, my avg is 6.6s . I think when they do 0-60's they do multiple runs and use the fastest time as the advertised 0-60 time.
Yeah, I think you're right. They must be going downhill too :D

Those are some awesome numbers though! Once I can afford it, I really hope I can get the tune. Does the low end power still feel good with it? I know you said the high end power is way better. What fuel are you using by the way? I only have 91 in my area. Are octane boosters worth it/do they work? Would I even benefit from it so you guys think?

These are my times though. Don't know what I did to get this best, but wish it can happen again lol. This run was a couple weeks ago, so the average is better. I usually always get 2.2 or 2.3 to 30 and 5.6/5.8 or so 0-60.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I think you're right. They must be going downhill too :D

Those are some awesome numbers though! Once I can afford it, I really hope I can get the tune. Does the low end power still feel good with it? I know you said the high end power is way better. What fuel are you using by the way? I only have 91 in my area. Are octane boosters worth it/do they work? Would I even benefit from it so you guys think?

These are my times though. Don't know what I did to get this best, but wish it can happen again lol. This run was a couple weeks ago, so the average is better. I usually always get 2.2 or 2.3 to 30 and 5.6/5.8 or so 0-60.

Those are still good times though. I run 93 because of the tune and the fact the only choices here in GA where I am are 87/89/93. It does have low end power but you really do notice it in the higher RPMS more than before. I have been told my numbers are great for a convertible

·
Registered
18 Posts
Lol so my local Ford dealer whom I've bought cars from since I was 17 years old just told me they will not install the procal tune and that I could have problems passing emissions come time to get my car inspected lol... I literally laughed on the phone when he told me they wouldn't do it. No sense in arguing, my money will go to the next dealer.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lol so my local Ford dealer whom I've bought cars from since I was 17 years old just told me they will not install the procal tune and that I could have problems passing emissions come time to get my car inspected lol... I literally laughed on the phone when he told me they wouldn't do it. No sense in arguing, my money will go to the next dealer.
If you know an ASE certified mechanic have them do it, or do it yourself and have them submit the warranty work. It takes 5 minutes to do the tune. The longest part is downloading it from the server, because sometimes the server is down.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts