Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

Ford Performance Calibration Kit Review 2018-2019 Ecoboost

33K views 53 replies 21 participants last post by  sirben711 
#1 ·
New to the forums, but wanted to post a review of the FP Tune that I got earlier in the week. Let me start off with this. I installed it myself. My father in law is a certified ASE Mechanic so getting the warranty transferred over was no issue. That being said, I have seen many people that say that the install took longer than expected at the dealer and I can see why. I had an issue downloading the file myself. Basically, you download the software to your computer (in my case laptop). You then follow the instructions on downloading the file but everytime I tried to download the file, it would come up with a 505 error. Basically, the fix for this was to just keep trying. The first file it downloaded was a pdf with instructions and then the tune file. I then proceeded to install the tune. It does just like any tune, and wipes the car clean and makes you worry for a minute or so as you look at your blank slate car that wont run, but after about 2-3 minutes, it was done.

Now, I know that the calibration has to learn the Octane so I didnt expect a huge gain at first. The first thing I noticed was that the shifts were a whole lot smoother in Sport Plus Mode (which is the main mode I drive in). Before, its like the car was tuned to give all the torque in the lower RPM range (trying to give a V8 feeling) and when the car shifted it gave you slight whiplash to say the least. My wife wouldnt ride with me if I had it in anything but Normal due to this. I can say that is gone now with the FP Tune for me. I am having to learn the difference now though because I tend to be driving faster because I was so use to the shift changes being so noticeable before the tune.

I still havent gotten the benefit of faster 0-60 times via the Track App on the car. This could be because the ECU hasnt adjusted fully to the octane. Which brings one downside to this tune. It HAS to adjust. The car may feel slower to you in the first few days depending on how much driving you do. For me, it actually felt faster but my 0-60 times proved it was slower. My best 0-60 is 5.48 currently with the stock tune and intercooler on a cold run. My best time so far with the tune is 6.1 on a cold run with stock intercooler. I'm in the process of purchasing a new intercooler btw. That tells me that the tune hasnt taken full effect with the higher octane fuel. I will be doing another run next week sometime to see if there is an improvement. If after a new intercooler in the coming weeks, if there is no improvement I may chock it up as a loss and just get a Cobb Tune once the warranty expires. I dont expect that to happen though as I just think the car hasnt adjusted yet.

I want to add this final note. I know on the 15-17 vehicles the tune kills the fake exhaust note from the speakers. I noticed after the tune that the exhaust seems louder than before. This could just be me as I havent confirmed but I wonder if the tune for the 18-19 keeps the fake noise. Again, I could be completely wrong and just be imagining it but it is there and louder than before.

Overall, only time will tell if the tune was worth it for me. I will keep this thread updated in the upcoming weeks on any improvements on times, etc.

See less See more
#38 ·
I'm going in for mine next week, gonna take my laptop and ask them to use that to do the install so I'm sure to get the software and backup files/dongle. Ive got some mild bolt ons, and havent run anything other than 93 in the car ever since I got it, so I'm hoping the adjustment period is short, but we will see. I did add some one range colder plugs today as well, just to be safe, and i'll prob have them do an oil change while I'm there to mark that off the service book.

#39 ·
I got the FP tune at about 1200 miles, and on and otherwise stock car my best 0-60 was 5.2 and that was going slightly uphill on a 60 degree day. I also have the factory Active Exhaust option and lighter wheels with 255/45/18 (the runs were done after the tune had several hundred miles on it, and I only did a couple runs

#41 ·
I don't think they have one yet. It is not listed on their site. The 2018-2020 is for non HPP ecoboost. There are some changes especially with the turbo that would make it incompatible with a HPP version. As the HPP is supposedly calibrated factory by ford performance i doubt they will make one. But that is just speculation.

#44 ·
Ahoy, y'all!
Just installed the performance tune this morning - on my base '18 6 speed ecoboost. Has about 39k miles, mid flavor Borla exhaust.
I understand there's some time for the update to learn 93 octane, but out of the garage I could feel the difference.
I also understand there's isn't that much added boost. But my test in 4th gear flatfooted saw it register 24psi, so that's a head scratcher. The exhaust is louder and seems deeper. I dig it. No more pops and snaps than typical with the Borla.

Wet day here so no real chance to compare from stock.
I'd been waiting to upgrade since the car is a blast to drive and a bit on the cautious side when it comes to warranty bits.
I can't wait for better weather and more miles under it's belt to settle in for good.

#45 ·
Yeah different people have had different learn times. As for the boost. These cars have a power target it will boost up to that point (within reason)Being wet thus higher humidity is likely requiring more boost to reach the ecu estimated power levels. I have at times especially when really warm outside hit at or near 24. But on adverage im around 22

#49 ·
can you do me a favor and hook up the ford perf dongle, and tell me what your PCM number, and then PCM hardware number, on the top area of the program, can you tell me what yours are?

trying to find out why im having errors. -- its beside the VIN on top, PCM hardware part number, and PCM part number, I wonder if they are supposed to match, or what yours are, so I can figure out if mine are wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.