Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
It should require it's own specific calibration for the turbo's unique compressor map.
Trying to run this turbo with a calibration designed for the smaller turbo would almost certainly result in the car going into limp mode.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Actually, I think the new hp turbo is the same spec as the Focus RS turbo so it should mirror all the tuning potential of the Focus RS platform provided the intercooler capacity is increased on the mustang.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I spoke with the Ford performance customer service rep and he said this will not play well with the current procal tune they offer and it would need pro tuned. Which is puzzling because you'd think they'd offer something that keeps you in house with them and not something that is surely going to take you out of warranty with Ford. To me it just makes me wonder what the point is of releasing this...?

·
Registered
238 Posts
ford makes money on the part and the non warranty work should the pro tune cause damage.. win win for them.. :)

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
This is actually a pretty big deal for eco stangs.

Aftermarket turbo options so far have been very expensive and they all have a good deal of turbo lag to them making the car a dog below 3000 to 4000 rpm not to mention the iffy reliability from some of the manufacturers.

This turbo offers a well priced, direct bolt in solution that addresses the shortcomings of the original turbo without bringing all the headaches of a big aftermarket turbo.

I expect that this will become a very popular upgrade for guys running custom tunes but dont want to go too crazy with the mods.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is just a small increase 60->63 mm. How does that size compare to the 'big turbo' upgrades? Going from a tuned factory turbo to a tuned 63mm, how much power could you theoretically gain? If its only the 20HP as tuned from the factory, thats not much for $1250. (or maybe $900 when tasca/etc get it). Its interesting that the turbine wheel size stays the same. does that mean it could actually spool a little quicker?

·
Registered
93 Posts
This is just a small increase 60->63 mm. How does that size compare to the 'big turbo' upgrades? Going from a tuned factory turbo to a tuned 63mm, how much power could you theoretically gain? If its only the 20HP as tuned from the factory, thats not much for $1250. (or maybe $900 when tasca/etc get it). Its interesting that the turbine wheel size stays the same. does that mean it could actually spool a little quicker?
Agreed RichBrew, why even release it if your only gaining that small of an amount on the compressor Exducer?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
A 3mm difference on something spinning 100000rpm can make a huge difference.

This is basically the focus RS turbo with a reconfigured housing for a rear drive vehicle.

The focus RS factory rating is 350hp crank vs the ecoboosts 310hp crank. Look up what tune only Focus RS's are putting out and you will see they are getting considerably more power from the RS turbo design on just premium pump gas.

This turbo paired with an intercooler and tune would make for a seriously fast ecoboost.

I have a picture of an RS turbo vs EcoBoost turbo here.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts

This is basically the focus RS turbo with a reconfigured housing for a rear drive vehicle.

The focus RS factory rating is 350hp crank vs the ecoboosts 310hp crank. Look up what tune only Focus RS's are putting out and you will see they are getting considerably more power from the RS turbo design on just premium pump gas.

This turbo paired with an intercooler and tune would make for a seriously fast ecoboost.

I'm pretty sure I just found my next major engine mod. This is awesome. Did not even know Ford released another turbo for the Mustang. Thanks all. I get all the best ideas off of threads on this forum.

Will definitely wait until some people guinea pig it out with some feedback.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I'm pretty sure I just found my next major engine mod. This is awesome. Did not even know Ford released another turbo for the Mustang. Thanks all. I get all the best ideas off of threads on this forum.

They didn't actually intend to release a new turbo for the ecoboost mustang, it actually came down to pleasing the light truck market.

When Ford decided to sell the European version of the Ford ranger in north America they knew they would need a powerful gas engine to keep us happy but they needed to meet emissions and fuel economy standards so they took the Focus RS engine and put the r&d into it to make it work in a rear drive pickup platform.

The Folks from the ford performance division looked at all this and said "hey that would fit perfectly in the mustang!" so now we have a special edition ecoboost mustang with focus RS bits and since spare parts are a must there is now an oem turbo upgrade for regular mustang ecoboosts.

I expect that Adam at tune+ will be having some fun with this in the near future.

·
Registered
93 Posts

Take that picture from Vargas all the way to the right and compare the stage 2+ which is close to a factory housing and you will see a real difference in size and out put. I agree that every bit makes a difference, just wondering why they basically repackaged a Focus turbo when they could have made one that would be an improvement for all ecoboost in-line 4 platforms. Agree with you it’s still an upgrade but if I’m spending that kind of money I want more and can detune it if warranted.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Take that picture from Vargas all the way to the right and compare the stage 2+ which is close to a factory housing and you will see a real difference in size and out put. I agree that every bit makes a difference, just wondering why they basically repackaged a Focus turbo when they could have made one that would be an improvement for all ecoboost in-line 4 platforms. Agree with you it’s still an upgrade but if I’m spending that kind of money I want more and can detune it if warranted.
The problem with these 500 to 600hp capable turbo's is their street manners in daily driving.
In daily traffic we live around the 1500 to 2500rpm zone and these smaller twin scroll turbos are extremely responsive, delivering a healthy dose of torque and and horse power making the car feel like it has a big block under the hood, do a big turbo swap and you will suddenly be making more than 50hp less in your daily driving zone, the car will feel much slower unless you keep the rpms considerably higher
You can play with the wastegate settings to get boost to come on sooner but the big turbo wants to bring on too much boost too soon so its tricky to get decent performance under 3000rpm.

The factory turbo runs out of steam by about 5800rpm and 23psi, pushing beyond that runs the turbo out of its efficiency zone causing charge air temps to skyrocket and turbo life to be compromised, the RS turbo can keep making healthy boost past 6000rpm maintaining over 24psi while staying in its efficiency range but still maintains the gutsy street manners of the original turbo.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My thoughts are along the same line as Slojas. My eventual goals seem to be slightly outside of the stock turbo capabilities. Although the other offerings are nice units and I would go that route, having this choice from Ford is a nice option that fits closer to my goals of having a street machine with good everyday characteristics and some additional breathing capability up top. It's been my experience that de-tuning a system is not as advantageous than having the right system to fit my needs.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I expect that Adam at tune+ will be having some fun with this in the near future.
:(
I was hopeful about that too.
upload_2019-9-2_14-40-35.png

Hopefully, someone picks it up...cuz like you say....its a nice option for people who aren't looking for "big power" but would like a little increase over the current turbo's capability without giving up the low end rpm. I have not been all together satisfied with many of the aftermarket solutions like you mention for all the same reasons. But I feel if I were to upgrade the engine any further, it would be the turbo. Would love to see some real world experiences come to life hopefully in the next few months. Definitely couldn't put this on my DD with full previous vetting by various other Eco Mustangs and some named tune shops.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Agree. Will wait for some feedback on this. Might be a good reason to ditch the FP tune and go custom.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
:(
I was hopeful about that too.
View attachment 31939

Hopefully, someone picks it up...cuz like you say....its a nice option for people who aren't looking for "big power" but would like a little increase over the current turbo's capability without giving up to the low end rpm. I have not been all together satisfied with many of the aftermarket solutions like you mention for all the same reasons. But I feel if I were to upgrade the engine any further, it would be the turbo. Would love to see some real world experiences come to life hopefully in the next few months. Definitely couldn't put this on my DD without full previous vetting by various other Eco Mustangs and some named tune shops.
Note that he mentions a turbo that he sells on his website for over $2000.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The problem with these 500 to 600hp capable turbo's is their street manners in daily driving.
In daily traffic we live around the 1500 to 2500rpm zone and these smaller twin scroll turbos are extremely responsive, delivering a healthy dose of torque and and horse power making the car feel like it has a big block under the hood, do a big turbo swap and you will suddenly be making more than 50hp less in your daily driving zone, the car will feel much slower unless you keep the rpms considerably higher
You can play with the wastegate settings to get boost to come on sooner but the big turbo wants to bring on too much boost too soon so its tricky to get decent performance under 3000rpm.

The factory turbo runs out of steam by about 5800rpm and 23psi, pushing beyond that runs the turbo out of its efficiency zone causing charge air temps to skyrocket and turbo life to be compromised, the RS turbo can keep making healthy boost past 6000rpm maintaining over 24psi while staying in its efficiency range but still maintains the gutsy street manners of the original turbo.

I agree with this post, er....mostly. I think of one we’re to stay within the limits of the stock fueling system and get a turbo replacement such as the Vargas 2+ In a twin scroll then the street ability would be fine. Yes if you go to 600hp with Ethanol and secondary injectors and some god awful giant snail, street ability is going to suck. You’ll be living in the spool at all times. I think the smaller replacements that are direct bolt in and twin scroll only raise the output RPM a few hundred and I would gladly trade a few hundred RPM for over a hundred HP gain. At least this is my hope, I am currently waiting for my tuner to call me back about a test and tune date for the stage 2+ I’m swapping in. Won’t be a monster, planning on holding at 400whp.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The Vargas twin scroll looks like it may be the best combination of low rpm torque and high rpm power. It starts at under $2,000 and when installed it's hard to tell it from the stock turbo. I haven't seen any good info on it's actual performance though. There's a guy on 6G(Perfweld) running 10.70s on the Vargas single scroll, on the stock long block. It's amazing how stock it looks under the hood. He says he's run over 400 datalog passes and over 200 1/4 mile passes, on the original long block.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts