Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
This sounds very interesting! Coupled with the upgraded camshafts for the 2.3L EB, this might be a pretty potent package when tuned properly. Think I'll drop by Steeda sometime soon and discuss doing either the turbo by itself or possibly turbo/cam upgrade and dyno tuning...shouldnt be too outrageous cost-wise.

Reactions: Flipping Bird

·
Registered
570 Posts
The problem with these 500 to 600hp capable turbo's is their street manners in daily driving.
In daily traffic we live around the 1500 to 2500rpm zone and these smaller twin scroll turbos are extremely responsive, delivering a healthy dose of torque and and horse power making the car feel like it has a big block under the hood, do a big turbo swap and you will suddenly be making more than 50hp less in your daily driving zone, the car will feel much slower unless you keep the rpms considerably higher
You can play with the wastegate settings to get boost to come on sooner but the big turbo wants to bring on too much boost too soon so its tricky to get decent performance under 3000rpm.

The factory turbo runs out of steam by about 5800rpm and 23psi, pushing beyond that runs the turbo out of its efficiency zone causing charge air temps to skyrocket and turbo life to be compromised, the RS turbo can keep making healthy boost past 6000rpm maintaining over 24psi while staying in its efficiency range but still maintains the gutsy street manners of the original turbo.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
My car lives in the 3000 to 5000rpm zone in traffic much of the time (more than half). Fun with a capital F. What turbo should I upgrade to?

·
Registered
570 Posts
This sounds very interesting! Coupled with the upgraded camshafts for the 2.3L EB, this might be a pretty potent package when tuned properly. Think I'll drop by Steeda sometime soon and discuss doing either the turbo by itself or possibly turbo/cam upgrade and dyno tuning...shouldnt be too outrageous cost-wise.
What cams are you considering? I am also interested in this mod.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
My car lives in the 3000 to 5000rpm zone in traffic much of the time (more than half). Fun with a capital F. What turbo should I upgrade to?
I wouldnt recommend a big turbo upgrade unless you were upgrading the block as well and at that point I would ask my tuner what turbo they would recommend based on my expectations, usage and driving style.

A big turbo on the stock engine will work but the tuner will nerf the turbo to protect the motor or they give you all the sauce and it becomes a time bomb.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would argue for large turbo because you get more power at lower psi compared to stock due to denser air. Also, bigger turbo should be better in hot weather due to a wider operating range. I would lean towards a big turbo with conservative tune vs. a maxed out stock turbo pushing 26 psi and advancing the timing so far the risk of LSPI is dangerous. I am suspicious many of the issues out there stem from LSPI which is absolutely not turbo but rather aggressive tuning plus lugging. I’ve seen it so many times when people claim Ecoboom not after pushing the car hard but rather going down the highway.

Anyway I wouldn’t consider the HPP turbo a big turbo really... but doing the HPP and swapping for the high po cams would be interesting.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mine as well. I decided to go with the Vargas and tune to around 400 RWHP. Good enough for me, twin scroll, but not a huge snail and hopefully avoiding the problems that go along with the giant turbo. Sadly, my tuners backed up for a few more weeks! :mad:

·
Registered
119 Posts
look at how much flatter that torgue curve is and how the high rpm power doesnt suffer

ford upgraded turbo with performance cams cobb stage 2 would be perfect for me

upload_2019-9-12_8-56-57.png

·
Registered
570 Posts
These motors will not live long with high horsepower without some thought of anti detonation. E85 or WMI are the choices I have read about. You can go above 500hp and live with the stock block if you plan it correctly from what I understand.

·
Registered
102 Posts
These motors will not live long with high horsepower without some thought of anti detonation. E85 or WMI are the choices I have read about. You can go above 500hp and live with the stock block if you plan it correctly from what I understand.
I would not recommend it...
Regards

·
Registered
24 Posts
Back to topic, you cannot have “high hp” with this turbo. 91 octane probably 330-350 whp, 93 will be 350-380, all depending on knock. Unless you combine with Meth/E85 you are not approaching anything crazy with this.

·
Registered
119 Posts
we're talking 350 hp and 390 tq to the wheels with the rs turbo and a cobb equivalent tune. which is not that much more than a regular cobb stage 2 just a much more linear torque curve and a better top end on horsepower.
upload_2019-9-12_15-45-57.png

Reactions: JAKE and Doc69

·
Registered
145 Posts
What cams are you considering? I am also interested in this mod.
Hi FB, I'm considering the Ford MS M-6250-23EBH Cams specified in the link in the initial post for the turbo upgrade. That setup with a custom tune sounds very interesting to me! I definitely want to discuss it with the guys at Steeda since they're close to me, I've been there before, have a great contact there and feel very confident in their mechanical and tuning abilities. Plus, I'm old school and want to have my car properly dyno tuned..I'm tired of fiddling around with maps/datalogs etc. Just want to tune the the thing properly once and be done. I just want to drive and enjoy..I deal with computers/networks/troubleshooting for a living and I want a friggin' break from the madness LOL. It used to be fun, now its just aggravating. :mad: Plus, going to Steeda gives me an excuse to do some of the suspension mods I've been putting off...Kill two birds with one stone. No offense intended :D

·
Registered
102 Posts
Interested. What would you recommend and why/why not? What is your experience with 500+hp ecoboost 2.3l engines?
Yes, I have read those same 500 hp threads . Seems the 2.0 block would be stronger for that application. Panda has a great 2.0 long block for six grand that is built to the max.
Regards

·
Registered
119 Posts
Reactions: Doc69
21 - 40 of 79 Posts