Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the driver side (dirty side) catch can from Don Wood Ford Lincoln Parts Department. They have some pretty good prices on the FP stuff over there. Part Number: M-6766-A23

Right off the bat, maybe someone can clarify for me and it goes to show how much I know, but I THOUGHT the 'valve' that does not allow boost back into the manifold was on the hose itself. I'm thinking maybe not, because there is NO valve in the replacement OEM hoses here. I can blow right through both of them on both sides. Is that valve on the PCV plate itself?

I've seen some pretty complex designs for catch cans, but this one looks as straight forward as it gets. I'm wondering what they are using for the filter media, as it doesn't SEEM porous but is. It LOOKS like a sheet of metal. The gasketing around all sealed parts looks solid.

I figure everyone says to leave well enough alone on the clean side for now. Yeah, Im not getting that 'extra' vacuum but this leaves the PCV system "in tact" to the way it was "supposed" to work. I think the only drawback is the "decrease" in vaccuum pressure by adding a 'chamber' in the middle of where a straight hose used to be...but I don't see many complaints on this forum with people who use Mishimoto or UPR single valve catchcans, so I suspect same here.

I'll be addin it in as soon as I can. Please confirm my question about the boost and valve. Much appreciated. Don't mind being one of the first/few to give this one a ride. Not much info on the internet about it. But plenty on Coyote. I guess difference is minimal

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
The PCV is the valve itself and not part of the tubing.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The PCV is the valve itself and not part of the tubing.
Hmmm. So the can is becoming pressurized during boost. Interesting. I mean, it does have 4 inch long allens holding all the seals, but I guess I was just imagining in my head (before actually removing the hose later on), was that the design would not allow for boost in the can. But again, I'm guessing all is well in the state of Denmark with what they did here and this is quite normal.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
All dirty side cans that I have seen are pressurized under boost. My UPR dirty side one is but the UPR dual valve is the only one I have seen that isn't. Folks that gut the PCV and install a check valve can prevent the can from being pressurized if they install it in between the intake manifold and can.

Dave

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Folks that gut the PCV and install a check valve can prevent the can from being pressurized if they install it in between the intake manifold and can
But not necessary, right? Can should be fine under boost?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Wow, that is one hellva mounting bracket. Looks like it and the tubing are designed for an exact location. My left side UPR took close to 20 psi tonight(lookin' at the center gauge while rowin' the gears) I was like you and flipped out when it came to me that the can gets pressurized...

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, that is one hellva mounting bracket. Looks like it and the tubing are designed for an exact location. My left side UPR took close to 20 psi tonight(lookin' at the center gauge while rowin' the gears) I was like you and flipped out when it came to me that the can gets pressurized...
I get my FP tune tomorrow. I imagine, I will be pushing closer to 30 psi more often, when I WOT it. I mean this is a freakin 'performance part', so I'm guessing its all good. I guess, scientifically speaking, even if a little bit of oil were to get sucked back in towards the manifold during boost, it would still stop at the PCV valve an I guess just stay in the hose, until vaccum returns and it goes back into the can. But me thinks the pressure holds tight OVER THE OIL, and through the airways.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There's a good picture of how it sits here. I'll have some more pics once I put it in myself.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/instructionsheets/FORDINSTSHTM-6766-A23.PDF

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I get my FP tune tomorrow. I imagine, I will be pushing closer to 30 psi more often, when I WOT it. I mean this is a freakin 'performance part', so I'm guessing its all good. I guess, scientifically speaking, even if a little bit of oil were to get sucked back in towards the manifold during boost, it would still stop at the PCV valve an I guess just stay in the hose, until vaccum returns and it goes back into the can. But me thinks the pressure holds tight OVER THE OIL, and through the airways.
The FP tune will give you about 22 psi of max boost. That is about all any tune for a stock turbo engine will get. Higher pressures the turbo is grossly inefficient.

Dave

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys. I need to wipe down my dirty af engine bay this weekend, and then I will post pics of the mounted catch can.

But right off the bat I will say 2 things:

1) The bracketing and pins holding the bracketing is poor. The catchcan is a little rickety, and in many ways, the hoses are a major support of keeping it in place. Not good. Im going to find some decent bolts for it that willwork.
2) It gets hot as hell. Granted, right after I got it installed, with the Power Pack & CAI at the same time, I took it on a VERY FUN 30 mile jaunt on the highway. Broached 100 mph effortlessly. Had to purposefully SLOW the f* down, for fear of getting arrested for reckless driving or some godawful amount speeding ticket (even though the highway I was driving was pretty clear). Is this because of the proximity to the engine, or because of the amount of heat and pressure its dealing with or both. It was definitely hot af to the touch.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I check my underhood temps with a laser quite often. The highest temp on my aluminum can has been 147 degrees on a 90+ degree day. But it is also mounted up higher in the engine compartment off the strut tower brace.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The FP tune will give you about 22 psi of max boost. That is about all any tune for a stock turbo engine will get. Higher pressures the turbo is grossly inefficient.

Dave
Does replacing the stock wastegate actuator with a higher psi get you to increase over 22?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Does replacing the stock wastegate actuator with a higher psi get you to increase over 22?
FordNXT did an article on upgrading the stock wastegate to a turbosmart 10psi unit.

On their project 5 liter eater car they saw gains of 10.4hp and 6.1tq at peak and 15.1hp and 19.1tq averaged under the curve, this is with the SCT OTS tune.
Article here- Turbosmart Wastegate Actuator For EcoBoost Mustang

I should note that the 10lb unit is used in the article, with the 10lb unit a custom tune is strongly recommended.
A 7lb wastegate actuator is offered by turbosmart that is advertised to work with stock to lightly tuned applications.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay guys help me out here. Damn check engine light just popped on. This is now after about 150 miles on the tune. Could this be catch can related? What is the best way to connect to my car and have it tell me exactly what’s its seeing? The only dongle I got is the one I got with FP.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gotta find out what that error code is. But I have to imagine that its more than likely either related to this tune or the catchcan. My first thought is that the hoses aren't tightly connected enough. Didn't get a chance to get underneat the car to get a look at the pcv valve, but here is a closer look at the throttle body connection. Looks fine, no??
IMG_0353.PNG
IMG_0352.PNG
IMG_0349.jpg

1 - 20 of 81 Posts