Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by Ford Performance that there’s no longer a way to revert back to your stock tune after installing the ford performance tune using the procal 3. Has anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I was told by Ford Performance that there’s no longer a way to revert back to your stock tune after installing the ford performance tune using the procal 3. Has anyone else had this issue?
They told you that?!? That's strange. Unless something has changed in the software, ProCal3 generates a backup file that is what you use to revert back to stock. However, I did this a few years back, and I've never attempted to revert back to stock, myself. But I know users on this forum who have done so successfully.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They stated “Unfortunately it does not have a return to stock calibration function. If you wish to return the car back to a stock calibration, you can take your vehicle to your local Ford Dealer and they can flash the PCM back to stock with the ‘As Built’ calibration for your car.” Even though My computer was used to install the tune.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
They stated “Unfortunately it does not have a return to stock calibration function. If you wish to return the car back to a stock calibration, you can take your vehicle to your local Ford Dealer and they can flash the PCM back to stock with the ‘As Built’ calibration for your car.” Even though My computer was used to install the tune.
Again, I haven't opened up that software in a few years, so I couldn't tell you for certain, but I do know that I have a backup of the file it created. Sending out the bat signal for @slojas who I know did use it to revert back to stock from time to time...but its also been a few years for him, as he's moved on to a GT.

·
Registered
587 Posts
another member here had their car flashed back to stock at dealer and it wouldn’t go over 13 psi

it needed a new ecu. I can’t go back to stock myself either. I don’t have my back up.

I figure if I truly need to go to stock, I’m going to buy an pcm off a wrecked 17 eb premium that’ has stock tune and toss on my car

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have ford pro cal, and I can’t use Cobb. Cobb writes over ford perf but won’t go over 12-15 boost.
Cobb says boost leak, but no. It’s coding error. I put fp on and it’s 22-24boost again

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Not sure why FP customer service would say that. According to the ProCal users manual on page 9 you can revert back to the previous calibration (stock) by reprogramming using the stored calibration file. They caution you to revert any changes to tire size or gear ratio changes back to stock first or you will get a CEL.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m trying to go back to stock because my new accessport Is giving me an error saying “it doesn’t currently support this vehicle” when I try to mate it and I’ve been told it’s due to the ford performance tune.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Assuming you have the back up file that was created when the FP tune was installed, just follow the instructions in the ProCal user manual to reinstall the stock tune. I wouldn't pay to much attention to what FP customer service told you. It's unreasonable for a customer service representative to know everything about everything FP sells but it would be nice to think that if they don't know they wouldn't blow smoke up your butt.

Other thing is are you sure you have the correct be part number AccessPort?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for your reply.
I did check that the accessport is the correct part and updated. I did see and follow their instructions and saw the same thing you did. But unfortunately their instructions didn’t match up and there was no restore option. Guess I will have to get ford to restore the stock file.

·
Premium Member
2,292 Posts
I figure if I truly need to go to stock, I’m going to buy an pcm off a wrecked 17 eb premium that’ has stock tune and toss on my car
I may be wrong (on Mustangs), but you can't just get a PCM off another exact model stock car and plug it into your car. It's not a DIY "plug-n-play" repair.
PCM's of the same part number are not interchangeable with one another.
If you are changing out your engine control module with a replacement, regardless of whether that vehicle is the exact same one as yours, it must be reprogrammed after installation.
They are "mated" to an individual car and even the car's VIN.

You would have to take it to a Ford dealer to program and install.

·
Registered
587 Posts
That is what I meant

if it wasn’t plug and play, 150 for pcm, and another 100 for a pcm as built Flash from ford doesn’t bother me the least.That’s my plan if I need to fix anything

ford perf said if I ever get a new engine that they will make it so I can redownload fp if I wanted on my new pcm on the case I ever get a new engine they will get it to work for me.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Thank you for your reply.
I did check that the accessport is the correct part and updated. I did see and follow their instructions and saw the same thing you did. But unfortunately their instructions didn’t match up and there was no restore option. Guess I will have to get ford to restore the stock file.
So you reprogrammed the ECU following the instructions using the backup file and it did not put the stock tune that is in the file back on the car?

My interpretation of how it works is you get the tune file from FP and the tuning process makes a new file (backup) with the stock tune. You then tune the car again using the backup file with the stock tune. It will then make a backup file with the FP tune.

There is no need for a restore option with that scheme.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
So you reprogrammed the ECU following the instructions using the backup file and it did not put the stock tune that is in the file back on the car?

My interpretation of how it works is you get the tune file from FP and the tuning process makes a new file (backup) with the stock tune. You then tune the car again using the backup file with the stock tune. It will then make a backup file with the FP tune.

There is no need for a restore option with that scheme.

That's my understanding also.

Here is the documentation on the FP site, albeit, I believe its for a SLIGHTLY older version of ProCal so the dialog and tabs might be a little different, but the gist is the same.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@gatornek unfortunately I already tried this process and it ended up not working. I will have to get ford to rebuild my stock using asbuilts so I can get my accessport to finally sync with the car.

Peoples past experience with the devices are telling me one thing. I honestly just want to get the Cobb connected so I can start the process with tune+.

·
Registered
2015 Mustang Ecoboost 2.3T/6A with aftermarket PP.
349 Posts
My ProCal 3 software updates constantly, but the program always displays a restore option. Unfortunately for me, the only back up files I have for the original factory tune are on an old laptop that has a busted keyboard now, but easy fix for me to get files, just plug in an external keyboard. I don't see how you can't restore your tune if you have the files and program. I could be wrong though, I haven't flashed back to stock in 2 years, I had flashed back to stock then back to the FP tune at that point, but haven't done so in 2 years. They might have changed the program too much. If you have to take it to a dealer, I wonder what they will charge? I bet my Ford dealer wouldn't even be able to figure it out.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Its been tried, the guy had same problem as me, he was flashed to as built from factory at dealer, and didnt fully remove the ford perf procal settings. so nope, you need that file now. things have changed since originally done, the new tune has new files and as built file just doesn't get them all. im leaving mine FP as well. not messing with it. happy with it honestly to not care.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Its been tried, the guy had same problem as me, he was flashed to as built from factory at dealer, and didnt fully remove the ford perf procal settings. so nope, you need that file now. things have changed since originally done, the new tune has new files and as built file just doesn't get them all. im leaving mine FP as well. not messing with it. happy with it honestly to not care.

does it effect all years of the S550 ecoboost? Mine's a 2015, as far as I know the program is the same for 2015-16 ecoboost mustangs, and different for '17 and newer

·
Registered
349 Posts

what year is your mustang?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts