Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2015 base ecoboost (auto) at 26,000 miles. Thinking about going with the Ford Performance Tune because of all the positive reviews. Did anyone experience anything negative with this tune? Also, do I need to bring my own laptop for the install? And how long does is the learning process after installation?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I have about 11k on my FP tune now and have nothing bad to say about.

I installed mine at my son shop so I did use my laptop. I would bring yours with you and try to get them to use it. If they don't make sure they give you a copy of the stock tune, bring a thumb drive.

Dave

·
Registered
679 Posts
I downloaded everything to my laptop then took it to the shop and let them push the install button. Download time depends on your Wi/Fi speed.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
The Ford performance tune is a very cautious tune, the risks to the engine are minimal.
I have the tune and-
I have noted a little better gas mileage when driving nice.
The auto's manual mode is much improved, auto shifts are firmer under heavy throttle.
Power at the wheels will increase to around 280hp 330tq compared to the 240hp 270tq stock power.

After the tune power will still be stock as the engine relearns its octane adjust ratio, so dont expect to head straight to the dyno or dragstrip, a few days of regular driving will be necessary for the engine to get itself setup, this is very annoying as the aftermarket tunes are nearly instant, but warranty.....

pro tips-
-max power requires good fuel, 91 octane minimum with any enhancing tune, 93 preferred. octane boosters using MMT will foul plugs and o2 sensor with a thick burnt orange scale so avoid and use proper gas.

-Never ever lug the engine in high gear, wide open throttle under 2000 rpm while in 4th,5th,6th can result in broken ringlands and piston rods hanging out the side of the block, low speed pre ignition is deadly, an automatic transmission should help protect you from this but it is still possible if you are in manual mode using the paddle shifters.

-Colder spark plugs are highly recommended for any tune as it provides more protection against detonation and reduces ignition corrections in the computer, NGK 6510 LTR7IX-11 are very good plugs 0.28" is the recommended gap.

-Cat-back exhausts are expensive and can be very annoying to live with after awhile due to droning while the factory exhaust is a wimpy, neutered mess. Cut the resonator out and replace with straight pipe with y-adapter then cut the muffers off and replace with Dynomax 17733 super turbo series mufflers, re-use stock tips, muffler shop should be able to do all this for a very reasonable price, the sound will be improved and back pressure greatly reduced but droning will be almost non-existent, this mod was wife approved and she is picky about droning.

Thats all i can think of at the moment.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
$1300 bucks Canadian for everything, purchased at the dealship that I bought the car from, waited until the engine had a little over 2000 miles before getting tuned. Used my own laptop for tune so I can flash it back to stock at home and reinstall the tune as needed, you just need a record of the initial setup being done by a ford dealship. Technically any ASE certified tech can do the the install but you will need to send the documents yourself to ford performance afterwards to retain powertrain warranty, the dealership does this for you.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I ran SCT canned, Steeda and Unleashed tunes on my 15 Ecoboost Mustang with a CAI and cat back. They initially all made about the same power. Unleashed revised my tune after doing data logging and it ultimately gave me the most power.

On my 17 I installed an aftermarket intercooler as my first mod. I got a noticeable increase in power above 5000 rpm to redline. I then added the FP tune and CAI. The power feels about the same as I had with the Unleashed and stock intercooler on the 15.

I was going to do the same exhaust on the 17 as the 15, resonator delete and magna flow mufflers. I started with the resonator delete with stock mufflers, still to quiet. I then saw some reviews of the CJPP axle back that were very positive so I tried them, great sound but to loud for a daily driver. I then added the stock resonator back on, the sound is perfect and I have even had a few people say to me "I thought you had the 4 cyl, it sounds like a v8".

In any case none of the different combinations make a difference in power that I can feel, even stock.

Dave

·
Registered
59 Posts
Slojas, thanks for your post. I am debating the Ford dealer installed tune so i can keep the 2 years left on my 17's warranty.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Slo, above you recommend the NGK 6510 LTR7IX-11 plug. Are these plugs ok for everyday cruising down the highway for a several hundred mile ride at leisure , not running hard except for passing etc?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Slo, above you recommend the NGK 6510 LTR7IX-11 plug. Are these plugs ok for everyday cruising down the highway for a several hundred mile ride at leisure , not running hard except for passing etc?
I have been running my 6510's for 8000 miles with zero issues, my car is a daily driver, rain or shine. I gapped them to .028.

Take note, spark plugs do not enjoy long lives in our eco boosts, I have read several claims of owners needing to replace or re-gap their 6510's after 15 to 20 thousand miles.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
The FP tune does not raise the red line. Because of the power characteristics of the Ecoboost there is no point in raising it from a performance standpoint. The basic design of the engine is aimed at low and mid range power even though the FP tune does increase the power a lot above the 5500 rpm power peak.

When I had my 15 Ecoboost Mustang with the Performance Package and Unleashed tune I did use my SCT tuner to raise the redline to 7200 rpm just to see if winding it out to a higher rpm to avoid the shift to third would be quicker 0 to 60 than shifting at the 5500 rpm power peak twice. But the power drop off at 6500 to 7200 was so great that the car was no faster with one shift than it was with two.

Dave

·
Registered
93 Posts
The FP tune does not raise the red line. Because of the power characteristics of the Ecoboost there is no point in raising it from a performance standpoint. The basic design of the engine is aimed at low and mid range power even though the FP tune does increase the power a lot above the 5500 rpm power peak.

When I had my 15 Ecoboost Mustang with the Performance Package and Unleashed tune I did use my SCT tuner to raise the redline to 7200 rpm just to see if winding it out to a higher rpm to avoid the shift to third would be quicker 0 to 60 than shifting at the 5500 rpm power peak twice. But the power drop off at 6500 to 7200 was so great that the car was no faster with one shift than it was with two.

Dave
Thanks for pointing out that youve actually tried raising the red line. Thats what i was more wondering is about the gearing issues or if youre at the end of the 1/4 mile and need an extra 500 rpm

1 - 15 of 15 Posts