Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and did not see this specific info previously posted.

After a lengthy discussion with a Ford Performance rep I was informed:

A. Going with the Ford tune does not have any affect on your Ford warranty. Meaning you are still liable to pay for any repairs that are needed due to the tune. So its just like getting any other aftermarket tune/pro tune in terms of not covered by your powertrain warranty.

B. The warranty that everyone discusses as the reason to go with Ford tune vs. Cobb, etc. is separate 3yr/36,000 warranty from Ford Performance (which he said if there is a failure due to tune they can still reject it).

C. However, the Ford Performance warranty starts from the date of new purchase and warranty of the vehicle by Ford. So, for anyone that Ecoboost was purchased new more than 3 years ago or over 36K miles, its expired and/or they just wouldn't issue you the Ford Performance warranty.

So in conclusion, there really is not much benefit going with the Ford tune over any other aftermarket tuner/pro tune.

·
Registered
2017 PP MT DD
1,161 Posts
There's no real benefit once the car is OUTSIDE of warrenty no.

However while its still under power train and or Ford warranties then its a pretty sweet deal.

I'm lost on the purpose of this post as I thought this was pretty much common knowledge.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I'm lost on the purpose of this post as I thought this was pretty much common knowledge.
I try to be accommodating of new people coming here for help and answers; but the thought that:

a)tunes will kill your warranty and
b)all cars out of warranty are out of warranty

are some really clever deductions. 😂

·
Registered
295 Posts
This was a good post. I thought that the object of the addition warranty from Ford Performance was to cover any damage the tune purchased from Ford Performance may cause. To hear that they still can reject coverage for damage caused by their own product is something I didn't know. Pretty much everything anymore is a scam so I shouldn't be surprised that a warranty sold specifically with an add on product doesn't really cover any damage that product causes.

·
Registered
2017 PP MT DD
1,161 Posts
But any warranty claim can be be denied be you tuned or not.

Granted it would be less likely if you weren't tuned but even then it comes down to what you are actually claiming.

Surely people know this right?

Reactions: gatornek

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's no real benefit once the car is OUTSIDE of warranty no.

However while its still under power train and or Ford warranties then its a pretty sweet deal.

Its not common knowledge as I said your Ford powertrain warranty, as told by Ford Performance rep, is invalidated once you add the Ford Performance tune. And even with the Ford Performance 3/36K warranty, he said they can still deny your claim if there is a failure due to the tune.

So the purpose of this post is to inform individuals like yourself that are misinformed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I try to be accommodating of new people coming here for help and answers; but the thought that:

a)tunes will kill your warranty and
b)all cars out of warranty are out of warranty

are some really clever deductions. 😂
I try to be accommodating to those that do not understand the post. The basic point is people are under the assumption the Ford Tune does not invalidate your powertrain warranty and it actually does.

I can type slower if you need me to. 😂

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This was a good post. I thought that the object of the addition warranty from Ford Performance was to cover any damage the tune purchased from Ford Performance may cause. To hear that they still can reject coverage for damage caused by their own product is something I didn't know. Pretty much everything anymore is a scam so I shouldn't be surprised that a warranty sold specifically with an add on product doesn't really cover any damage that product causes.
Exactly. I'm glad you got the point of the post unlike some others. LOL

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But any warranty claim can be be denied be you tuned or not.

Granted it would be less likely if you weren't tuned but even then it comes down to what you are actually claiming.

Surely people know this right?
Turns out people don't know that and are under the impression that with the Ford Tune they are completely covered by the original Ford powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Turns out people don't know that and are under the impression that with the Ford Tune they are completely covered by the original Ford powertrain warranty.
To be fair, some people do understand. There are plenty of posts here and on other sites, like mustang6g. It's also clear that it's news to some. That's ok. Time to move on to another topic... 👍🏼

·
Registered
466 Posts
Yep, warranty can be denied for many reasons but on the flip side there are many here that have had no issues getting their cars repaired under warranty with the FP tune as well as with aftermarket tunes so it's more of a dealer situation also. If the dealer does not raise the flag about being tuned, then ford is none the wiser.

I had this conversation with my dealer and was informed the warranty would be honored for the 3/36 time frame.

BD

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I try to be accommodating to those that do not understand the post. The basic point is people are under the assumption the Ford Tune does not invalidate your powertrain warranty and it actually does.

I can type slower if you need me to. 😂
Who are these "people"? :unsure: Someone you know?
So in conclusion, there really is not much benefit going with the Ford tune over any other aftermarket tuner/pro tune.
Sir...clearly you don't understand:

any warranty > no warranty

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Boy, this thread is full of miss information. The FP tune does not void the power train warranty. It is against the law to void a warranty because of a modification. A specific warranty claim could be denied if the modification caused a failure of a covered item. Using the word VOID is incorrect. The FP warranty document clearly states that it does not void the warranty and they even put it in bold print.

The FP warranty for performance packs covers any failures to the car that can be attributed to the tune otherwise the standard new car warranty applies. It is clearly stated in the Ford Performance warranty document (see attached).

Now once you are past the FP 3/36 and had a failure that could be attributed to the tune a claim could be denied. BUT, after 10 years on Ford Ecoboost forums I have never heard of anyone being denied a claim because they had the FP tune. So to say that the FP tune is no different than any other aftermarket tune from a warranty standpoint is just not true.

Last thing, talking to a FP customer service rep regarding the warranty and receiving a interpretation that is not in line with the officially released warranty document is just someones opinion, it is certainly should not to be taken as fact. The only official interpretation comes from FP legal council. I am surprised that the FP customer service folks have not been trained to not give opinions. I would expect that they would just parrot back the published warranty document.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
talking to a FP customer service rep regarding the warranty and receiving a interpretation that is not in line with the officially released warranty document
👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

The Kraken awakes. Welcome back Dave! Happy Friday.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Boy, this thread is full of miss information. The FP tune does not void the power train warranty. It is against the law to void a warranty because of a modification. A specific warranty claim could be denied if the modification caused a failure of a covered item. Using the word VOID is incorrect. The FP warranty document clearly states that it does not void the warranty and they even put it in bold print.

The FP warranty for performance packs covers any failures to the car that can be attributed to the tune otherwise the standard new car warranty applies. It is clearly stated in the Ford Performance warranty document (see attached).

Now once you are past the FP 3/36 and had a failure that could be attributed to the tune a claim could be denied. BUT, after 10 years on Ford Ecoboost forums I have never heard of anyone being denied a claim because they had the FP tune. So to say that the FP tune is no different than any other aftermarket tune from a warranty standpoint is just not true.

Last thing, talking to a FP customer service rep regarding the warranty and receiving a interpretation that is not in line with the officially released warranty document is just someones opinion, it is certainly should not to be taken as fact. The only official interpretation comes from FP legal council. I am surprised that the FP customer service folks have not been trained to not give opinions. I would expect that they would just parrot back the published warranty document.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk
I spoke to my dealer yesterday about the FP tune and warranty when I made my appointment to have it flashed into my PCM. He stated the exact same thing basically in that if there is a powertrain failure that is denied that was determined to be caused by the tune then it is FP that will pick up the cost of the repairs of the failure if within the 3/36 time frame.

So yes a repair can be denied due to the tune but if it is then FP foots the bill for repair.

BD

·
Registered
680 Posts
I spoke to my dealer yesterday about the FP tune and warranty when I made my appointment to have it flashed into my PCM. He stated the exact same thing basically in that if there is a powertrain failure that is denied that was determined to be caused by the tune then it is FP that will pick up the cost of the repairs of the failure if within the 3/36 time frame.

So yes a repair can be denied due to the tune but if it is then FP foots the bill for repair.

BD
Curious, do you know the vehicle in-service date on your 2020? It's possible you don't have more than a year left anyhow, as far as the FP warranty is concerned.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have about a year and a half since the in service date is 12/08/2020. So yea not all that long but as gatornek said any warranty > no warranty. I only have 7900 miles on car as well so will run out of time way before mileage runs out.

Plus I have a very good long standing relationship with my dealers GM, parts manager and service manager since being a retired ASE master tech working in my area for over 25 years. So not worried about being denied warranty coverage for any repairs thru the ESP plans coverage.

BD

1 - 20 of 27 Posts