Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts

The Kraken awakes. Welcome back Dave! Happy Friday.
Thanks!
Never really left been lurking since selling the Mustang. Been loving the Ranger Tremor. Had the FP tune on it from new but gas prices being the way they are went back to stock so I can run 87 octane. The quirky stock tuning on the 10R80 transmission was driving me nuts so I am now running an 87 performance tune with custom transmission tuning from Unleashed.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Follow my Instagram @ boosted . jt
70 Posts
I searched and did not see this specific info previously posted.

After a lengthy discussion with a Ford Performance rep I was informed:

A. Going with the Ford tune does not have any affect on your Ford warranty. Meaning you are still liable to pay for any repairs that are needed due to the tune. So its just like getting any other aftermarket tune/pro tune in terms of not covered by your powertrain warranty.

B. The warranty that everyone discusses as the reason to go with Ford tune vs. Cobb, etc. is separate 3yr/36,000 warranty from Ford Performance (which he said if there is a failure due to tune they can still reject it).

C. However, the Ford Performance warranty starts from the date of new purchase and warranty of the vehicle by Ford. So, for anyone that Ecoboost was purchased new more than 3 years ago or over 36K miles, its expired and/or they just wouldn't issue you the Ford Performance warranty.

So in conclusion, there really is not much benefit going with the Ford tune over any other aftermarket tuner/pro tune.
I appreciate this post, its directed towards those who dont know / are new to ecoboosts. But i have just 1 thing to say. Theres alot of Ford Dealers that will still try to screw you over even without a tune. As others have said they need to prove it caused the failure but they know many of their customers are people who have busy lives, you're not going to be suing over that. They already screwed me over with my stock tune , never flashed car, tried to charge me 700 dollars to fix my purge valve solenoid because of my blow off valve (correlation???? LMAO) .
I fixed it within 20 minutes of the part arriving to my house lol.
So yeah just keep in mind dealers can cut your throat for trying to enjoy your car.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yep, just as with any business, you have good and bad out there. The ones that want to keep their doors open generally provide the customers with quality and professional sales/service.

The ones that don't treat customers right usually don't last long.

BD

·
Registered
2017 PP MT DD
1,164 Posts
Boy, this thread is full of miss information. The FP tune does not void the power train warranty. It is against the law to void a warranty because of a modification. A specific warranty claim could be denied if the modification caused a failure of a covered item. Using the word VOID is incorrect. The FP warranty document clearly states that it does not void the warranty and they even put it in bold print.

The FP warranty for performance packs covers any failures to the car that can be attributed to the tune otherwise the standard new car warranty applies. It is clearly stated in the Ford Performance warranty document (see attached).

Now once you are past the FP 3/36 and had a failure that could be attributed to the tune a claim could be denied. BUT, after 10 years on Ford Ecoboost forums I have never heard of anyone being denied a claim because they had the FP tune. So to say that the FP tune is no different than any other aftermarket tune from a warranty standpoint is just not true.

Last thing, talking to a FP customer service rep regarding the warranty and receiving a interpretation that is not in line with the officially released warranty document is just someones opinion, it is certainly should not to be taken as fact. The only official interpretation comes from FP legal council. I am surprised that the FP customer service folks have not been trained to not give opinions. I would expect that they would just parrot back the published warranty document.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk
Thank you

·
Registered
2017 PP MT DD
1,164 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I searched and did not see this specific info previously posted.

After a lengthy discussion with a Ford Performance rep I was informed:

A. Going with the Ford tune does not have any affect on your Ford warranty. Meaning you are still liable to pay for any repairs that are needed due to the tune. So its just like getting any other aftermarket tune/pro tune in terms of not covered by your powertrain warranty.

B. The warranty that everyone discusses as the reason to go with Ford tune vs. Cobb, etc. is separate 3yr/36,000 warranty from Ford Performance (which he said if there is a failure due to tune they can still reject it).

C. However, the Ford Performance warranty starts from the date of new purchase and warranty of the vehicle by Ford. So, for anyone that Ecoboost was purchased new more than 3 years ago or over 36K miles, its expired and/or they just wouldn't issue you the Ford Performance warranty.

So in conclusion, there really is not much benefit going with the Ford tune over any other aftermarket tuner/pro tune.
I think there is confusion here. It clearly states on their information regarding the tune, that if you get it installed by ford, it will not void your warranty. If you think the FP tune will cause your car to break, I think you are also off. Its designed by Ford for your car. Using a Cobb tune or other tune, will void your warranty if the tune caused the failure. Like you blow a head gasket, they can claim the Cobb tune took your engine too far. But if you blow a head gasket and have the Ford tune, and no other mods are to blame. You got warranty bro. If you are out of warranty then its your risk to get an aftermarket tune..

·
Registered
421 Posts
I disagree with the OPs conclusion that there isn't any benefit to going with the FP tune over any other tuner or protune. Warranty issues aside, it's clearly one of the safest tunes available. Also, it's CARB legal. That means it will pass emissions testing in every US state that tests. Further, it includes a trans tune, for the automatics.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts