Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

How much are you willing to part with your ecoboost for?

• Twice what I paid MSRP

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • What I Paid MSRP not greedy

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • NEVER SHE IS MINE ALL MINE

Votes: 13 59.1%
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Sorry your having problems with your Ford.
Curious... If you're happy with your prius, why did you purchase a Mustang? Not trying to start an argument, just wondering about you're taste in vehicles. Hope things work out between you and Ford!
Nah thats not fighting words. I like to be honest about my decisions. My first car after graduating highschool was an old 1998 ford mustang my mother bought used. I had the pleasure of fixing her up ordering all the parts and the goal was to get her back to stock shape. She died after 3 years and I was young and liked to burn out and drift often so that didn't help things. Soon after I bought my first 5 speed V6 also used got her back to stock and well the same thing happened blew the head gasket didn't have funds to fix her and well my ultimate goal was to buy a brand new stock car from FORD. After marriage and two kids I needed to get my hands on a reliable car that would keep some pennies in my pocket thus the Prius ended up in my lot. I bought her new wanting to minimize risk. Well you can imagine my level of boredom after having the most reliable of cars in my lot. So I finally saved enough to buy my very first brand new stang. I new that I needed to be fair with the ownership as a father of two so GT wasn't in the cards and cost of living made it impossible for me to afford GAS and high sticker price. I knew that I wanted new cause I didn't want to experience an issues that would be costly and figured I knew how to baby a clutch by now and well I don't burn out I just enjoy the drive. Long story short I got the ecoboost convertible and the rest is history. What grinds my gears is not so much having a great Prius and a terrible Mustang, its more having a Japanese car that makes my newer American car seem excessively inferior in build quality. Again I am on the fence waiting for the dealer to give me some news but my heart is just hurt, I really had high hopes that my Pony would live or even outlive my Prius. I guess I am just an angry mustang owner but again I will inform you all of blue ovals decision on meeting me half way on the repairs or pushing me off to the side. I was hoping to give the pony to one of my sons as his graduation gift from high school as well. That was the sword that pierced my heart the most was not getting to give my son a used mustang that belong to daddy and not a stranger I bought it from. I know what I have done to the mustang its hard to say the same when you but it in the street used.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So my post to declare the joy of owning an ecoboost has been met with despair as my pony has been diagnosed. Lady's and gentleman 27,000 miles driven by 34 year old who is making payments of $540 per month. I have not modified a thing on this girl purposefully so ford doesn't blame my modifications for the failures she may encounter. I also only put 27000 miles on her to test on the ford built strong concept which is not the case. They should put that on the back of every 2010 Toyota Prius I see driving by in town. I spoke with the dealership and they said OVERHEATED FLY WHEEL that can't be resurfaced because well its apparently special again these are ford assembled parts from the factory no modifications. They also said the entire clutch and assembly needed to be swapped. They gave me a price of $3,200+ and thats not including if the transmission was at fault which we all know the MT-82 has been buzzing around. I right away said no way I am still making payments on this directly to ford credit. Additionally I babied this car intentionally so that I would reach the end of the payment agreement before I decided to start having fun in the ole girl. I called Ford Customer support and they will have me discussing with regional service manager. Again everyone just understand that ford has years of producing cars that don't always come out the factory as perfect as planned. If you are buying new don't modify a thing till you pay her off and know that the foundation is solid before you start growing the powerplants horsepower. This is the best mustang ecoboost they make at the factory for 2015 model year. Performance package and all and well its just not cool when they tell you to pay up $3,000+ if they are fair about meeting me half way with the repairs then I give them major kudos but if they are going to brush it off the next decision will be to leave it with them and negotiate reselling it to them to get out of the remaining payments and ultimately never buying a ford product ever again. I see myself staying in the Toyota dealership from now on. I have relatives that already do and I understand why now. So I patiently wait for them as the ball is in their court. As for Ford Credit they get major points as I have had my payment deferred for two months while I deal with this headache. Ford Credit is the best way to finance your purchase of any and all ford vehicles and they really work with you to get your payments. I will post as information comes to let you know if owning an ecoboost mustang is a bust or worth your while. Especially if you are trying to keep the servicing done inside the dealership. Again I am comparing two 4 cyclinder engine styles and ecoboost mustang and a 2010 toyota prius which I am also the original owner of. The prius is going 67,000 miles strong 11 years of ownership paid $27000 brand new and only changed the brakes and rotors. FORD VS TOYOTA and Toyota is screaming by people. Better yet America VS Japan.

So I digress as FORD has reached out to me via E-Mail and I must say like the FORD VS Ferrari Movie they are open to making the relationship work. I am feeling those warm fuzzy feelings knowing that well maybe they do care. I never had an issue with my Toyota but also don't really know if they would have even been willing to go the length that Ford is willing to go to keep me a customer. So far Ford is getting some major kudos points from me today as we work towards negotiating something fair. After I get Mustang Sally back I am curious to see how the 12 month ownership after repair pans out. Again I am willing to answer all questions regarding ownership as of right now I am feeling positive and hopeful that blue oval has grown a heart and understands when you buy a ford new and keep her for years to come that you are a promoter of the product and service. Today I am a promoter because I know this is not a perfect world and well cars and victim to the elements. Lets see where this leads.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
FWIW, the Ecoboost flywheel is a dual Mass unit which is used to make the drive train smoother and is why it is "special". You can purchase it from any of the online Ford parts dealers like Tasca or Quirk for about $630 dollars. The clutch kit is also available for $325 from the same source.

Doing a clutch job should not be more than 5 hours. So, having it done at an independent shop would cost you around $1500.

I can't see how the MT82 would have contributed to the clutch failure without you having had difficulty shifting the car and getting it into gear from a stop.

If you look at the quality and reliability numbers of vehicles these days the difference between the best and worst is very small. IMHO, the quality reputation manufacturers like Toyota and Honda has is perception and is no longer supported by the numbers.

As a comparison; A guy I work with believes the sun rises and sets on Audi. He has a 2016 S8. This car has a starting sticker price of $115,000 and goes up from there. He has had it for two years. Anyway the first time he brought it in for service Audi service told him that the turbos on the twin turbo v8 had a reputation for failing because the filter screen in the oil line would plug up and the convinced him to replace the screens as a preventative measure to the tune of $2800. The touch screen retracts into the dash when you shut the car off. The plastic gears that move it failed and it cost $1100 to replace. At his last service they told him he would need pads and rotors at his next service to the tune of $3000. The service manager also told him he was very lucky to have gotten to 108,000 miles without a turbo failure. He asked about the cost to replace a turbo, he told if one fails they both have to be replaced and the job is $14,000. An Ecoboost turbo from Tasca is $790 and takes about an hour to swap. When he got home and thought about the potential for $17,000 in repairs in the near future on a car that has a current value of $24,000 he traded it for a new Subaru Impreza.

Dave

·
Registered
2017 PP MT DD
1,276 Posts
The infrastructure is not here or any country for that matter plus even now a lot fossil fuel is burned to make electricity.
Not yet no, but not far off. South Australia has already meet all of its electricity requirements purely by renewable energy an number of days last year and this year already and continues to improve on this each day its also starting to sell the surplus off.

It's also looking at having a network of charging station along all major highways before 2025 less then 4 years. Infact there is $18.3 million worth of grants up for grabs

Here's the network they have planed

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
FWIW, the Ecoboost flywheel is a dual Mass unit which is used to make the drive train smoother and is why it is "special". You can purchase it from any of the online Ford parts dealers like Tasca or Quirk for about $630 dollars. The clutch kit is also available for $325 from the same source.

Doing a clutch job should not be more than 5 hours. So, having it done at an independent shop would cost you around $1500.

I can't see how the MT82 would have contributed to the clutch failure without you having had difficulty shifting the car and getting it into gear from a stop.

If you look at the quality and reliability numbers of vehicles these days the difference between the best and worst is very small. IMHO, the quality reputation manufacturers like Toyota and Honda has is perception and is no longer supported by the numbers.

As a comparison; A guy I work with believes the sun rises and sets on Audi. He has a 2016 S8. This car has a starting sticker price of $115,000 and goes up from there. He has had it for two years. Anyway the first time he brought it in for service Audi service told him that the turbos on the twin turbo v8 had a reputation for failing because the filter screen in the oil line would plug up and the convinced him to replace the screens as a preventative measure to the tune of $2800. The touch screen retracts into the dash when you shut the car off. The plastic gears that move it failed and it cost $1100 to replace. At his last service they told him he would need pads and rotors at his next service to the tune of $3000. The service manager also told him he was very lucky to have gotten to 108,000 miles without a turbo failure. He asked about the cost to replace a turbo, he told if one fails they both have to be replaced and the job is $14,000. An Ecoboost turbo from Tasca is $790 and takes about an hour to swap. When he got home and thought about the potential for $17,000 in repairs in the near future on a car that has a current value of $24,000 he traded it for a new Subaru Impreza.

Dave
Wow,

I rather stick to my budget friendly sports car. Your talking about numbers I can't even compute in my brain man. I just don't see myself ever in a car that demands thousands of dollars to keep it rolling. I like affordable fun not the kind that keeps you working 9 to 5 for the rest of your life. If passive income can't cover the fun then its just not fun to own period. Passive income for my level of social stratification is working class or lower middle class so that means a few hundred dollars nothing more than that. Audi and BMW and Benz and some of the other luxury class cars I see on the road is designed to snatch as much money from the pockets of the elite class as possible. Where else would we be getting all the money for low income programs and stimulus checks if not for the surplus generated from the elite class. Upper Middle or Upper Upper middle class.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Exactly. Honestly, I paid off my motorcycle and workin on my mustsng

after that it’sall about minimal upkeep to keep them running.
Dude I love my Kawasaki and shes 11 years old and cheap cheap cheap fun. My Mustang hogs up all the money for upkeep but again its on the low end of upkeep cause its a 4 turbo not 8 cylinders waiting to start misfiring on one of the cylinders. My v6 was already a losing ticket for repairs just starting her up in the morning and praying she would settle after 5 minutes. Enjoy the bike this summer I know I will be considering just sitting in the mustang this summer for about a year almost done paying her off. I think I will being pumping miles on the motorcycle this summer.

·
Registered
2017 PP MT DD
1,276 Posts
Sounds like you need to ditch the stang

·
Registered
208 Posts
Not yet no, but not far off. South Australia has already meet all of its electricity requirements purely by renewable energy an number of days last year and this year already and continues to improve on this each day its also starting to sell the surplus off.

It's also looking at having a network of charging station along all major highways before 2025 less then 4 years. Infact there is $18.3 million worth of grants up for grabs

Here's the network they have planed View attachment 38849
I could be off here but I think Australia has a population of 25 million and obviously not all are legal driving age. Compared to other more populated countries. Plus like I said America barley provides enough electricity for its daily use.
Look at Texas now. Wind/solar are never going to be enough to meet large populated counties needs. It’s not so much charging stations it’s having adequate reliable electricity on demand. Installing electrical outlet isn’t the problem. (until some idiot electrocutes themselves).

·
Registered
2017 PP MT DD
1,276 Posts
Indeed however I was referencing your other country infrastructure quote. Australia is also notable slow at doing anything and lags about 3 to 5 years behind everybody esp new technology.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Wow,

I rather stick to my budget friendly sports car. Your talking about numbers I can't even compute in my brain man. I just don't see myself ever in a car that demands thousands of dollars to keep it rolling. I like affordable fun not the kind that keeps you working 9 to 5 for the rest of your life. If passive income can't cover the fun then its just not fun to own period. Passive income for my level of social stratification is working class or lower middle class so that means a few hundred dollars nothing more than that. Audi and BMW and Benz and some of the other luxury class cars I see on the road is designed to snatch as much money from the pockets of the elite class as possible. Where else would we be getting all the money for low income programs and stimulus checks if not for the surplus generated from the elite class. Upper Middle or Upper Upper middle class.
Yep, I hear you. There is a used car lot near me that specializes in Mercedes, Audi, BMW and other high end used cars that are a few years old and just out of warranty. You can buy them quite resonably compared to the new price but you still have to pay for repairs like it was a $100,000 vehicle.

Dave

·
Registered
208 Posts
Indeed however I was referencing your other country infrastructure quote. Australia is also notable slow at doing anything and lags about 3 to 5 years behind everybody esp new technology.
Any country that can and wants to make the switch is fine. If you can realistically do it without
adversely causing a lot of other problems. I don’t know what the average commuter travels to and from work in Australia and Americans aren’t that big on public transportation. So we’re going to need a lot electricity. If it can be adequately supplied.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Any country that can and wants to make the switch is fine. If you can realistically do it without
adversely causing a lot of other problems. I don’t know what the average commuter travels to and from work in Australia and Americans aren’t that big on public transportation. So we’re going to need a lot electricity. If it can be adequately supplied.
I like the Mach-E, I am not putting it down but for the average consumer electric is not going to be feasible. Consumers who live in buildings or have no access to a private garage to charge at night are going to find it a test of patience to charge it back up using the public charging network provided. It takes upward of 3 hours from empty. H2 systems produce water out the pipe using 02 from the surrounding space. I just believe having two options instead of one could draw in more eco conscious consumers that may not have a feasible charging system or the time to wait on a charge. Our current infrastructure is going to need a few more years before we can see real systemic improvement to the charging network and solar based systems.

·
Registered
2017 PP MT DD
1,276 Posts
Ultra fast chargers can give you between 250 300km in 10 mins. A little over the time you would spend in a petrol station anyway, esp if you grabbing a coffee at the same time.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I like the Mach-E, I am not putting it down but for the average consumer electric is not going to be feasible. Consumers who live in buildings or have no access to a private garage to charge at night are going to find it a test of patience to charge it back up using the public charging network provided. It takes upward of 3 hours from empty. H2 systems produce water out the pipe using 02 from the surrounding space. I just believe having two options instead of one could draw in more eco conscious consumers that may not have a feasible charging system or the time to wait on a charge. Our current infrastructure is going to need a few more years before we can see real systemic improvement to the charging network and solar based systems.
I don’t have an issue with the electric car, I just think if we start with fleet vehicles like delivery, mail and taxi cabs etc. that would allow us to identify problems not only with infrastructure but the vehicles themselves. Tesla has had various recalls. Until we have a lot of these vehicles in use from the different auto makers, being used in all kinds of climates and conditions we simply don’t know the reliability or performance of these vehicles and I’m not talking about motor sport applications.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Ultra fast chargers can give you between 250 300km in 10 mins. A little over the time you would spend in a petrol station anyway, esp if you grabbing a coffee at the same time.
As I understand the electronic car depending on what demands and accessories your running that effects how long your charge will last. Also in the USA there’s a lot of different terrain. If you live in Florida where it’s relatively flat, that’s different if you live in a state that has a lot of steep hills. Like
New York State not the city. By going up steep inclines your going to need more power and if your towing a boat, snow mobiles etc. your going to use your charge more quickly. That means less miles between charges and more time to stop and charge which will increase your travel time.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
We all had childhoods when we were kids remember what happened when we would use fast chargers on our batteries it cut the life span almost in half. I would rather wait 3 hours knowing a nice steady charge is going to pay me back in the long run then having a car that after 5 years the battery is going to need a swap.

·
Registered
2017 PP MT DD
1,276 Posts
Technology has come a long way since I was a kid.

Reactions: dgc333

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ford has announced officially that they will soon be building electric only Mustangs. So as for those eco-boost stangs we got. I think we all just hit the lottery in a decade or so. Not sure how many of you are considering selling the ole girls in a decade or so but I think we might be shocked at what people will be willing to pay for some history. Ford only built one other 4 cylinder mustang and that was in 84.
Truly sad days ahead for the gear heads of the world.. keep those ponies!

21 - 40 of 42 Posts