1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well thats interesting, but if you dont have the premium gauge cluster you are ok?? At least for now anyways

I wish theyd come out with a fix for the stupid delay with the shifter paddles. My 1-2 shift is like 1000 Rpms after the fact.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Well thats interesting, but if you dont have the premium gauge cluster you are ok?? At least for now anyways

I wish theyd come out with a fix for the stupid delay with the shifter paddles. My 1-2 shift is like 1000 Rpms after the fact.
The select shift on the mustang is a huge improvement over what I had in my 2012 fusion, that thing would wait a second or more to complete a shift, hit the button at 4k to shift at 5k, it was pretty much useless.
The Ford performance tune improves the select shift by locking the torque converter and making the shifts firmer, the 1000rpm delay is still present though.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
Most of the paddle shifting works pretty well. I really love the 10speed actually. Its more the 1-2 is not good. Maybe when they come with the pro cal and intake for the 2018 it will firm these shifts up some more too but idk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Even though that 10 speed is a great trans, I'm still glad I got the manual.

That being said, I'd be curious to know why y'all opted for the auto.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts

Heard way too many complaints about the manual some including a ridiculous shift lock out that forces economy shifting, gears made from glass, leaky clutch lines, made in china stamps, lousy clutch, slower 1/4 mile times, ect.

The other ecoboost on the lot that had the manual was 10k more.

The car will never see a road course as there are none within the province.

Stop and go traffic, winter driving.

My choices are made for me and my family, buying something to appear cool or trendy for the satisfaction of people that I have never met stikes me as stupid.

Auto's don't suck anymore.

Aliens from space.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Trust me, I'm not judging (my middle name is George, and I'm curious). Those are all good reasons, certainly. I fully admit that my manual Mustang is probably slower than my Fusion Sport with an auto, but we enjoy rowing our own gears sometimes, so my wife and I have both bases covered. Also, we don't get nearly the snow that you do in Canada.

For the record, the '15 Ecoboost Mustang we had never had any shifting issues during the 2 years we had it, and we weren't always kind to it! The new '18 feels exactly the same.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Trust me, I'm not judging (my middle name is George, and I'm curious). Those are all good reasons, certainly. I fully admit that my manual Mustang is probably slower than my Fusion Sport with an auto, but we enjoy rowing our own gears sometimes, so my wife and I have both bases covered. Also, we don't get nearly the snow that you do in Canada.

For the record, the '15 Ecoboost Mustang we had never had any shifting issues during the 2 years we had it, and we weren't always kind to it! The new '18 feels exactly the same.
Sorry, didn't mean to sound so blunt, the downside of text sometimes is that ones mood is not properly conveyed.

But yeah, 2 most common questions I have to answer-
Why didn't you get the Coyote?
-I did, it's sitting in the truck.

Why didn't you get a manual?
-Simply wasn't practical for the circumstance.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I'm with slojas. For me at this time the auto made more sense. My wife can drive a stick, just doesn't really like to, and I wanted her to feel that she could go out and take the car whenever she felt like it. I still have another few years doing a commute and while it isn't too bad, those days that were stop and go were tough on my aging left leg. I'm still getting familiar with the performance side of the A10 and will probably pine less for the manual once we have been together a bit longer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I’ve had 5 ‘05 and up ‘Stangs. The 1st was an auto that I kept for 90 days then traded for a stick.
I can state, absolutely, I’ve had no issues with clutches, leaky lines, glass gears or shift lockouts for economy. I rode the cars hard, shifted at redline, and enjoyed every moment of it.
As a bonus, when I was carjacked in ‘08, the *hit*uck with the gun ended up throwing my keys across the lot because he couldn’t drive a stick.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
;)

·
Super Moderator
3,294 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts

First for me.. Im tired of $500 for a clutch and flywheel, and then $500-800 for someone to install it.

Ive had some good autos, some sucky, ive had decent manuals, and some that cost me an arm and a leg. Most turbo autos ive driven have been super laggy. With a manual, you can make up for this with shifting at higher rpms and being able to get the rpms up easier off the line. If you want to do this with an auto the only way to correct it is by powerbraking, which on the street is a pain in the butt.

The new Ecoboost turbo with the 10 speed is not laggy at all. Mostly because of the twin scroll turbo and the gearing. It also doesnt ever get stuck in a gear at 2000 rpm, like my old 2003 Mustang gt 5 speed did or my old 5 speed turbo Subaru, then has to fight its way to get into the powerband.

The worst thing I hated about my old 2003 GT 5 speed was that is was slow as balls outside the powerband, much like most turbo cars are. A lot of times I was crusing down the road at like 50mph or whatever speed, and there just was never a right gear to be in. A six speed does help improve this some but a 10speed is even better.

The other thing I like about the 10speed is that it shifts faster than any human ever will be able to, no matter how fast anyone thinks they can shift a manual, and it doesnt lose boost. It stays in the boost through the shifts without having to do flat foot shifting( which you have to do in most manuals) which just isnt the best thing for manual transmissions.

So for most of those reasons.. I got a Mustang Ecoboost 10r80.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Your money, your choice. I feel more connected to the car with a manual. MT82 was also the manual in the 12-13 boss 302. Many complaints on that platform. If it will hold up to the 444hp boss 302, no worries.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I have owned three manuals over the years just like the ones pictured.
1984 dodge colt
1981 honda prelude
2001 f150 shortbox v6

They were all hopelessly gutless rust buckets, all my good cars have been auto's.

·
Premium Member
2,404 Posts
Luckily to date we have not had any recalls on the 10-speed autos in the 2018's delivered down here in Australia.
I'd say Ford ironed out the issues in the export models that were manufactured later.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had the older autos in V6 and V8 trims in the mustang. They worked well but I preferred a manuel. I just traded a 07 Roush Stage 3 manual for a new Eco-boost 10 Spd auto. I did this for two reasons. My wife cannot drive a manual & the Roush was not the car to try and teach her on. The other reason is the 10 speed is fantastic especially tied to the eco-boost. It really is entertaining and is perfect for the motor. They have the two working in perfect unison. There is no afterthought with the matting of these to mechanical wonders. The car makes me giggle. The Ford performance pack helps but the transmission is one of the best I have ever used.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts