Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So after experiencing "minor ecoboom" with my first engine (spun rod) at 85,000 miles, and then the same deal with a lightly used engine (bent rod this time), I'm looking to replace the engine and sell the vehicle to a private buyer. I'm currently on the fence trying to decide between replacing the engine with a new Ford Performance crate 2.3 engine or sending the original engine to Jessie of EMS and having him fully build it, with a new closed deck block. The cost is almost the same for the two options, the main difference being the Ford Performance engine comes with a 2 year/24,000 mile warranty. Granted a built engine always seems like a better idea, since I'll be selling the vehicle I'm trying to determine what will recoup the most money. I'll be in no rush to sell the car so I can wait on a decent offer to come along.
Opinions?

·
Registered
840 Posts
If your buyer will be alerted to the fact that there is a rebuilt engine, I'm fairly positive that the warrantied option will allow you to recoup the most money.
I would agree but the flip side to that is if the buyer is looking to approach Coyote power levels, the closed deck block would be attractive.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If your buyer will be alerted to the fact that there is a rebuilt engine, I'm fairly positive that the warrantied option will allow you to recoup the most money.
I would certainly let the buyer know about the engine and even advertise it as such.

·
Registered
306 Posts
How many miles on the car in total? It seems to me that's the driving factor in resale value these days. The fact that the engine is "new" gives it some more value to a human, but doesn't really help the book value of the car, at least from what I've experienced. Generally, car values plummet after 100k miles, or close to it. Also if you go with the built option, you have to find a buyer who's interested in that, and while there are many on this forum, there are far fewer in the real world... Just some thoughts and opinions to add perspective.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How many miles on the car in total? It seems to me that's the driving factor in resale value these days. The fact that the engine is "new" gives it some more value to a human, but doesn't really help the book value of the car, at least from what I've experienced. Generally, car values plummet after 100k miles, or close to it. Also if you go with the built option, you have to find a buyer who's interested in that, and while there are many on this forum, there are far fewer in the real world... Just some thoughts and opinions to add perspective.
ODO is currently at 85,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I think it may depend on who you market to. If you return stuff to stock and try to sell it that way, go with the Ford block and warranty. If you are leaving it in modified form and selling it to a car guy (or gal), they would likely appreciate the better quality, built block.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think it may depend on who you market to. If you return stuff to stock and try to sell it that way, go with the Ford block and warranty. If you are leaving it in modified form and selling it to a car guy (or gal), they would likely appreciate the better quality, built block.
It's only got an aftermarket MAPerformance intercooler on. I figure I'll sell the Cobb tuner either with the car, or separately.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone else have any suggestions on this? Still haven't decided, but need to make up my mind soon.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I agree with all the points that have been raise here, but I still feel that you will have a much larger 'audience' with a warranty, then you will with a built-for-race engine. I would imagine that your goal is to get rid of the car as quickly as possible, for the most money as possible. Those 'as possibles' are going to be best addressed with as large of an audience 'as possible'. Those are my 2 cents.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree with all the points that have been raise here, but I still feel that you will have a much larger 'audience' with a warranty, then you will with a built-for-race engine. I would imagine that your goal is to get rid of the car as quickly as possible, for the most money as possible. Those 'as possibles' are going to be best addressed with as large of an audience 'as possible'. Those are my 2 cents.
I think that's the route I'm going to take. Any rough suggestions on listing price to sell to a private seller with the new warrantied motor? It's a 2015 Base with 85K on the ODO, brand new performance pack brakes, rotors, etc. and the 18" 2020 wheels. I figure I'll start out asking high since I'm in no rush.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
There are a total of (7) 2015 Ecoboost Mustang in Carmax's nationwide inventory (which is nuts, and gives you a glimpse at how out of control the car market is right now).

But on the same note, I get these emails from Carfax monthly on my 2016 with 58K miles

That's current 'trade in value' which is always less than personal resell value. I would shoot for somewhere in the above ranges that makes you feel comfortable. Like you said, start high. If no bites, add a "or best offer" to your listing.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There are a total of (7) 2015 Ecoboost Mustang in Carmax's nationwide inventory (which is nuts, and gives you a glimpse at how out of control the car market is right now). View attachment 39970

But on the same note, I get these emails from Carfax monthly on my 2016 with 58K miles

View attachment 39971

That's current 'trade in value' which is always less than personal resell value. I would shoot for somewhere in the above ranges that makes you feel comfortable. Like you said, start high. If no bites, add a "or best offer" to your listing.
So it wouldn't be fair to add the cost of this new engine to the approximate cost of my vehicle with it's mileage? I've sold several cars but never with a new engine, nor in a market like this.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
So it wouldn't be fair to add the cost of this new engine to the approximate cost of my vehicle with it's mileage? I've sold several cars but never with a new engine, nor in a market like this.
I don't think so. Look at it through the eyes of the buyer. Whether the engine is brand new, or rebuilt...in my mind there is a much better incentive to buy a car with no trouble history rather than a car that needed a new engine. But FWIW, I've NEVER done what you're doing either. In fact, I haven't 'personally sold' a car in quite a long time. The last few cars I've had were traded in. It's a strange market right now. You really don't have anything to lose by listing 'high' and adjusting from there.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't think so. Look at it through the eyes of the buyer. Whether the engine is brand new, or rebuilt...in my mind there is a much better incentive to buy a car with no trouble history rather than a car that needed a new engine. But FWIW, I've NEVER done what you're doing either. In fact, I haven't 'personally sold' a car in quite a long time. The last few cars I've had were traded in. It's a strange market right now. You really don't have anything to lose by listing 'high' and adjusting from there.
IMO a brand new engine under warranty is going to add value vs an original high mileage engine that has most likely been beat on. Guess it will come down to the buyer.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
if I was looking at a car, id honestly lean towards an oem replacement from ford, vs aftermarket block. but im not a power chaser, with that said. there's more people looking for a sporty DD, than a track car.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
if I was looking at a car, id honestly lean towards an oem replacement from ford, vs aftermarket block. but im not a power chaser, with that said. there's more people looking for a sporty DD, than a track car.
So you think the FP crate engine with warranty is the right choice?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
oh no. I meant just an oem block, whatever comes from factory. drop in and go. prob the cheapest option too

not a ford perf deviant or anything.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
holy fuck, 7k? I read people have dealerships put in a new engine for 5k full warranty and all.
fuck that. id buy one out of a wrecked low mileage car first if could find one for 2k

1 - 20 of 49 Posts