Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
No doubt, you would have to be committed to your car and have all the tools and know how. But if your going to spend the money on a new 2.3L that you don't want, why not at least crunch the numbers and see how much switching to the motor you want is going to cost??
In excess of $10,000 if I could find a shop that would actually do it. It's much more affordable/practical to just replace the engine with a stock one (under warranty) and then sell the car.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I would be afraid to put any non oem engine that cars didn't come with anymore, (other than oem stock replacement) if emission checks/etc comes back, and things dont match up, like hardcore states like cali, a lot of people could not be able to drive cars.

ie, there's some ecoboost guys with GT engines in it, boom emissions **** changes, and they tell him he cant drive/register that car til it has proper emissions/original engine back in.

I can see this becoming very real.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I would be afraid to put any non oem engine that cars didn't come with anymore, (other than oem stock replacement) if emission checks/etc comes back, and things dont match up, like hardcore states like cali, a lot of people could not be able to drive cars.

ie, there's some ecoboost guys with GT engines in it, boom emissions **** changes, and they tell him he cant drive/register that car til it has proper emissions/original engine back in.

I can see this becoming very real.
This is generally something only reserved for project cars if someone has no intention of ever reselling the car.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
emission checks get done yearly though. even an owner couldn't drive it on the road without registering/emission checking annually
I contacted my local Ford dealers and they won't price match Levittown and actually cost more than Ford Performance. I reached out to Levittown and this was their response:
"Thanks for your inquiry. The part you requested is on a national back order with no ETA. Please try again at a later date. Thanks, Mike "

According to Ford Performance they'll have the crate engine back in stock mid this month.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So after experiencing "minor ecoboom" with my first engine (spun rod) at 85,000 miles, and then the same deal with a lightly used engine (bent rod this time), I'm looking to replace the engine and sell the vehicle to a private buyer. I'm currently on the fence trying to decide between replacing the engine with a new Ford Performance crate 2.3 engine or sending the original engine to Jessie of EMS and having him fully build it, with a new closed deck block. The cost is almost the same for the two options, the main difference being the Ford Performance engine comes with a 2 year/24,000 mile warranty. Granted a built engine always seems like a better idea, since I'll be selling the vehicle I'm trying to determine what will recoup the most money. I'll be in no rush to sell the car so I can wait on a decent offer to come along.
Opinions?
If selling it why not throw another used engine it it with a 6 month warranty. Send it. Your not going to recoup any difference in money your at loss already book is book on it. Because new engine dont mean you can sell car for any more.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If selling it why not throw another used engine it it with a 6 month warranty. Send it. Your not going to recoup any difference in money your at loss already book is book on it. Because new engine dont mean you can sell car for any more.
This i agree with. If you are selling just go low mile used and have proof of mileage if possible. The cost difference you will pay used over new will not be recouped in the sale price. As was stated book is book. You can't claim 0 miles even if the engine has 0 miles. The original Odometer reading will still apply and subtract the value.

Yes i agree seeing an advertised used car with "new engine" is much more appealing to me and i would definitely look at it first. It would just be catching my attention more, price for a used car would still be a major factor and while i would be willing to give a little more for such a car with a new engine I wouldn't be willing to pay the difference for the 3-4k or more that it would take for you to place a new over a used engine in the car.

What matters most to me in either case is proof. Receipts of purchases and work done. Images of donor engine and of car (i never want an engine from a frontal impact and some side impacts that total the donor car)

Just my 2 cents

41 - 49 of 49 Posts