Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 Eco Premium, 20" wheel package, standard handling setup, 27K miles

Hey, everyone. I need your diagnostic support again.

When in reverse, rolling off my driveway curb, in full turn (either left or right), I get a nasty 'clunking' sound as the car travels down the curb. If the car had 80K miles, I'd say its 1-2 bad ball joints. But at 27K miles??

Is anyone else experiencing this phenom?

TIA

Matt

·
Registered
634 Posts
^^ This ^^

·
Registered
2017 PP MT DD
1,161 Posts
My 200 had a similar problem could of sworn it was coming from the front suspension, turns out it was the gearbox/transmission support that was loose and missing a bolt. Could be that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hmmm. I have had the same "cluck" since day one. I was just thinking it was tire hop since the body on these is so stiff and there is no roll. That's the only time the "suspension" makes any noise. Going up at the same angle - nothing, but backing out kind of a wheel pop in my imagination.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My car did this as well with the pp 19 inch wheels and tires. With my base GT 18'S on the car it didnt. Google Ackerman effect and it may give you some insight.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My car did this as well with the pp 19 inch wheels and tires. With my base GT 18'S on the car it didnt. Google Ackerman effect and it may give you some insight.
Thank you, everyone - and slemers, in particular, for putting a name to my affliction.

Since I put on my 18" winter tires/wheels, I have NOT noticed this phenom. I have to conclude that it IS tire chatter from my sticky, 20" summer tires during slow turns.

I'll keep an ear on it, but feel pretty good that you guys have solved it for me.

Thanks!

Matt

·
Registered
126 Posts
The first time this happened to me I thought I ran something over. Mine did it most of the time on lock to lock turns into or out of a parking spot. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.