Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should the voltmeter be reading 15?

Should the Air/Fuel needle fluctuate be constantly in motion, wavering around a number and not just being steady?

·
Registered
2020 Ecoboost Premium 10R80 w/ Black Acct Pckg
28 Posts
So for Voltage, anything around 14-15 seems to be the norm from what I've found. I wouldn't be concerned about it unless it drops below 13 (generally it means its time/getting close to replacing the battery if its getting below that point).
Your A/F gauge will depend on how much your asking of the car. You should be seeing a Richer mixture (ie a lower number) if you are gunning it with your foot on the gas. Likewise if you are idling/slowing down, the AFR should be a high number (ie a leaner mixture) (I don't remember what it defaults too when I slow down or come to a stop). If you are seeing large fluctuations when you are just idling, then I would be slightly concerned. But if I remember right from what I've seen you should ironically enough be sitting around 14 for an AFR when you are just idling (it will spike up to 20 when you are slowing down/braking).

Reactions: Coyote Chaser

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the clarification. My A/F fluctuates above and below 14 (13.8-14.2-ish) but I was expecting it to be steadier. I was a little worried because I wasnt sure the Airraid tube wasnt properly installed. Im not sure if the Sensor that needed drilled into it is in far enough. Plus, I sometimes smell gas in the exhaust.

I feel better about the Voltmeter. It hasnt dropped below 13 so I must be okay.

Your answer has made me feel better about the situation.

·
Registered
2020 Ecoboost Premium 10R80 w/ Black Acct Pckg
28 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. My A/F fluctuates above and below 14 (13.8-14.2-ish) but I was expecting it to be steadier. I was a little worried because I wasnt sure the Airraid tube wasnt properly installed. Im not sure if the Sensor that needed drilled into it is in far enough. Plus, I sometimes smell gas in the exhaust.

I feel better about the Voltmeter. It hasnt dropped below 13 so I must be okay.

Your answer has made me feel better about the situation.
I would double check that sensor, just to be safe, but that's generally where mine sits at, at idle as well so I think you're good. Given that our car's have a billion sensors (over exaggerated but you know), the computer can essentially adjust infinitely due to what ever conditions the computer sees from other said sensors as well. But given what your sensor's are reading I wouldn't be too concerned right now. It might just be your car decided to run a little richer due to some other inputs it sees.

Reactions: Coyote Chaser

·
Registered
162 Posts
That's perfectly normal for A/F. Nothing to worry about at all. At WOT you may see it drop a couple full points down to 11 or so but under normal driving it will be around 14. If it stayed on one number is when I would worry that it wasn't giving a real reading.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Premium
157 Posts
in regards to voltage, I was seeing around 11.2-11.4 on my battery,. checked the fluid settings and it was low. added some water to the cells and threw it on a Battery Tender overnight, showing a solid 14 now on tender. I dont drive much since I'm WFH, so It'll be interesting to see if it holds a charge now. if I have to replace, has anyone got a line on the best batteries that we can use? I was considering a optima yellow, but apparently they dont make them for the Mustang?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts