Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Ecoboost Premium Mustang, I've had a good bit done to it. Mostly aesthetic stuff. But I have swapped out the basic bolt ons, & even gotten a tune. Now I noticed with the tune installed, a lot more power, most definitely. But I also get that extremely disgusting repetitive "floot" sounds, also known as surges.
I had purchased C&Ls bypass valve adapter in hopes to get rid of that sound, while the C&L adapter DOES make a very nice PSHHH sound, it doesn't seem to do the job even in the slightest. So question is, would an upgraded blow off valve do it for me? If so, please give me some recommendations. They need to be able to fit with an oil catch can, as I do have one of those installed, & I do not plan on removing it.

Also I need a bov regardless just for the health of the turbo & what not.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have a 2016 Ecoboost Premium Mustang, I've had a good bit done to it. Mostly aesthetic stuff. But I have swapped out the basic bolt ons, & even gotten a tune. Now I noticed with the tune installed, a lot more power, most definitely. But I also get that extremely disgusting repetitive "floot" sounds, also known as surges.
I had purchased C&Ls bypass valve adapter in hopes to get rid of that sound, while the C&L adapter DOES make a very nice PSHHH sound, it doesn't seem to do the job even in the slightest. So question is, would an upgraded blow off valve do it for me? If so, please give me some recommendations. They need to be able to fit with an oil catch can, as I do have one of those installed, & I do not plan on removing it.

The factory bypass valve works by recirculating excess boost pressure back into the intake. I didn't hear any compressor surge when I still had the OEM bypass valve installed. I hear some compressor surge at low rpm when I let off the throttle. Low rpm compressor surge won't hurt the turbo. You'll actually get some compressor surge with an aftermarket BOV.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The factory bypass valve works by recirculating excess boost pressure back into the intake. I didn't hear any compressor surge when I still had the OEM bypass valve installed. I hear some compressor surge at low rpm when I let off the throttle. Low rpm compressor surge won't hurt the turbo. You'll actually get some compressor surge with an aftermarket BOV.
The recirculating back into the system is how it creates those compressor surges. That's how the air gets stuck causing that sound. But my bypass valve lets the excess air into the atmosphere, but it didn't seem to work. So just curious if a whole new blow off valve will do the trick, & which one if so. A big part of bov's IS to get rid of surges.

·
Registered
875 Posts
The recirculating back into the system is how it creates those compressor surges. That's how the air gets stuck causing that sound. But my bypass valve lets the excess air into the atmosphere, but it didn't seem to work. So just curious if a whole new blow off valve will do the trick, & which one if so. A big part of bov's IS to get rid of surges.
I still get low rpm compressor surge on the Turbosmart dual port vacuum operated BOV. Haven't tested the electronic version. Mine still vents some of the excess boost pressure back into the intake while most is vented to the atmosphere. I could adjust the BOV to open or close sooner but am not sure if that will reduce the low rpm compressor surge.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I still get low rpm compressor surge on the Turbosmart dual port vacuum operated BOV. Haven't tested the electronic version. Mine still vents some of the excess boost pressure back into the intake while most is vented to the atmosphere. I could adjust the BOV to open or close sooner but am not sure if that will reduce the low rpm compressor surge.
See does that bov, the one you have, not the vr2, does it work with a n oil catch can?

·
Registered
875 Posts
See does that bov, the one you have, not the vr2, does it work with a n oil catch can?
Yes. My BOV is plumbed into the purge valve and uses a special resistor plug to keep the ECU happy. The VR2 is a direct swap and plugs into the factory bypass valve plug.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They the VR2 is pretty much what I have with my C&L bypass. Mind sending me a link to the one you bought?

·
Registered
875 Posts
They the VR2 is pretty much what I have with my C&L bypass. Mind sending me a link to the one you bought?

This is this one I have. The VR2 is also going to have stronger internals then the OEM one has. I didn't realize how simple it was to install a BOV untill I did it on the housemates EcoBoost. The vacuum operated one will handle higher boost levels then the stock one will. I think it can handle 32+psi boost.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I tried installing the TS electronic valve and got the same result with compressor surge. The bottome line was that the electronic connector did not mate to the OEM plug very well, so simply put, the valve was not pulling back the solenoid to vent.

My Build Thread: {ThE BLaK NiTE oF Da' 305}

I didn't bother with it, because trying to force that clip to mate better ran me the risk of screwing up the OEM plug and then being up sh!t's creek a little bit. I sent it back to Summit, and ordered a GFB DV+ kit.

The GFB DV+ worked and sounded perfectly until I upgraded to a racing intercooler maybe a couple months ago. Now, there is such a thicker charge (due to the larger core size of the IC) retreating back to the turbo, that I get a SLIGHT, SLIGHT surge because I still have a recirculating setup. Been wanting to upgrade to the GFB DV+ VTA (vent to atmosphere) kit to remedy this some ... even though I don't find it too problematic.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
The recirculating valve does not cause compressor surge. It vents excess boost when the throttle is closed to atmosphere via the intake. The only difference between it and a more conventional BOV is the muffling of the intake.

Compressor surge is caused by the trapped boost between the closed throttle and turbo compressor. It can also happen at WOT when an improperly sized turbo trys to cram more air into the engine than the engine can ingest.

If you are getting surge with either a recirculating valve and/or BOV it is because they can't release the trapped boost between the throttle and turbo fadt enough.

Dave

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
The recirculating valve does not cause compressor surge.
If you are getting surge with either a recirculating valve and/or BOV it is because they can't release the trapped boost between the throttle and turbo fadt enough.
Dave, so I used to have a "stock location" MAPerformance intercooler to go along with my GFB DV+ adapter. I had nary a hint of "surge-type" sounds. All was good. But after I upgraded my intercooler to CPE's larger core "racing style" intercooler, I am getting what sounds like a teeny bit of surge at the every end.

I wonder if other people with larger core intercoolers experience this, or is this TRULY the GFB DV+ not being able to expel the charge quick enough, so it essentially gets chopped up by the turbo some at the tail end? It was actually my initial impression too, but then I also read some information saying that it could possibly be the recirculating tube feeding a compressed charge, right back into a compressor, and the valve still being open when it circles back around (for lack of a better phrase).

I ask, because I've now put the GFB DV+ that vents to atmosphere on my build wish list, thinking that it might solve this problem.

I guess maybe the only way to truly find out is to redo the stock valve and see if I get the same sounds.

·
Registered
73 Posts
"I tried installing the TS electronic valve and got the same result with compressor surge. The bottome line was that the electronic connector did not mate to the OEM plug very well, so simply put, the valve was not pulling back the solenoid to vent."

i know the feeling .. the clips don't mate like you think they should but once you find the locking mechanism clip they stay married and functions properly.
"Been wanting to upgrade to the GFB DV+ VTA (vent to atmosphere) kit to remedy this some ... even though I don't find it too problematic."

Me too .. haven't had time to install mine BUT i really don't think there is enough room for the harness. that wire is gonna press against the intake tube BUT i hope your aftermarket setup will have more room

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I used to run a Turbo Smart dual port BOV on my Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo.
It could easily cause compressor surge, if the spring holding the metal piston valve down was screwed down too tight.
With the mechanical type aftermarket BOV's like the Turbo Smart, sometimes a softer optional spring needs to be installed, to stop the surge.

·
Registered
73 Posts
But I also get that extremely disgusting repetitive "floot" sounds, also known as surges.

im no expert but i did some videos comparing BOVs. idk but the stock BPV with the $50 adapters 'waste' boost i think. once the valve opens, it stays open for a predeterminate amount of time even if your back on the throttle -- you can hear the air escaping.
and fwiw i heard 'scary blub blub sound' i thought might be surges after i installed new intercooler but realized it was the air getting sucked into the airbox.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Dave, so I used to have a "stock location" MAPerformance intercooler to go along with my GFB DV+ adapter. I had nary a hint of "surge-type" sounds. All was good. But after I upgraded my intercooler to CPE's larger core "racing style" intercooler, I am getting what sounds like a teeny bit of surge at the every end.

I wonder if other people with larger core intercoolers experience this, or is this TRULY the GFB DV+ not being able to expel the charge quick enough, so it essentially gets chopped up by the turbo some at the tail end? It was actually my initial impression too, but then I also read some information saying that it could possibly be the recirculating tube feeding a compressed charge, right back into a compressor, and the valve still being open when it circles back around (for lack of a better phrase).

I ask, because I've now put the GFB DV+ that vents to atmosphere on my build wish list, thinking that it might solve this problem.

I guess maybe the only way to truly find out is to redo the stock valve and see if I get the same sounds.
A larger intercooler means more air volume to vent which takes longer meaning more time for air to stack against the turbo compressor increasing the chances for surge.

Dave

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the Steeda blow off adapter plate. Seems to work well. Don't have to throttle much for it to let go.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Compressor surge occurs whenever turbo boost pressure is high and the airflow is low . In some circumstances a surge occurs during a wide open throttle and not when closing the throttle and the reason is simple; the engine cannot take all the air.
To prevent compressor surge a valve fitment of diameter valve will do the trick

1 - 17 of 17 Posts