Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

61 - 80 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
...along with the handbrake and bonnet release lever being on the wrong side.
You must be joking! You have to get out of the car and go around to the passenger side to open the bonnet? I'd be trying to install a mount underneath the driver's knee bolster that the cable could be swapped over to. That's nuts!

·
Read Only
0 Posts
You must be joking! You have to get out of the car and go around to the passenger side to open the bonnet? I'd be trying to install a mount underneath the driver's knee bolster that the cable could be swapped over to. That's nuts!
See! That's what you get when you put the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car! :)

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Removed the rear black plastic OEM optional backing bracket, that I had to put on to cover the screw holes for the larger plates that were on before.
(The stupid dealer had used the outer screw holes of the standard longer Australian plates I had on the car when I bought it)

As a temporary measure, I have used a couple of white screw button caps on screws in the holes.

The holes fall just on the outside of the US plate, so, unfortunately, the buttons are partially covered, instead of in full view which would be better.

I stuck a strip of hard rubber along near the bottom edge of the plate to allow it to clear the buttons.
Then used double sided 3M tape on the rubber strip to adhere the bottom of the plate to the bumper.

From a distance, it does not look too bad.

I have not attempted to remove the backing plate from the front of the car at this stage... The rear was the 'eyesore' more so I feel.

Eventually, I will make a backing plate out of white Perspex plastic, slightly larger on the sides to cover the holes.

Reactions: EcoVert17

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Okay, attempt No. 3...

I had a go today, making a new backing plate out of white Perspex.

Looks better than the buttons I think?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Okay, attempt No. 3...

I had a go today, making a new backing plate out of white Perspex.

Looks better than the buttons I think?

I thought the buttons looked acceptable, but the plastic looks better. What would you think about rounding the corners of the plastic, using the radius of the license plate as a guide?

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I thought the buttons looked acceptable, but the plastic looks better. What would you think about rounding the corners of the plastic, using the radius of the license plate as a guide?
I might go to attempt No. 4 :)
Change the Perspex to black with rounded corners, so it looks like a plate frame.
Unfortunately US plate size frames won't fit our US styled Mustang theme plates (they are larger), nor are they large enough on the sides to cover the holes, so cannot buy something off the shelf.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 · (Edited)
Installed The Steeda Strut Tower Brace Today

Well, it was no fun working in the 108-degree blistering heat today getting it installed, but, well, I just had to. :)

I gave the stock powder coated black finish brace, 3 coats of chrome paint for the look I was after, which dried very quickly in the heat, so that was a bonus I guess.

Fitting it was very easy, once the battery cover came off and I removed the negative power cable to re-route it under the brace.

It clears the engine cover with plenty of space to spare and does not get in the way of the oil dipstick.

I am quite happy with how it looks against the engine cover and certainly adds a degree of toughness to the engine bay.

To hot today to take it for a road test, but I'm sure it will make a difference in handling on rough surfaces and taking tight corners at speed.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
That is a sharp-looking engine bay, my friend!
Nathan
Thank you!
Once I get some chrome caps for the oil cap, brake reservoir, washer bottle, coolant tank and some chrome strut covers, I think the 'bling' and look I am after will be complete. :)

Other main mods to eventually be done will be exhaust, CAI and intercooler, then I will leave it alone. :)

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
The Pony's First Oil Change

One of the nice features of the 6th Gen Mustangs is the visual display in the settings menu that tells you when you need to change your oil or how much life it has left.
It uses an algorithm that calculates the oil life remaining based on distance travelled plus time since the last change.

While you can see here that I have only done 4,863Kms, that has been over 8 months since getting the car new, and in my current situation, I am only averaging 600kms a month.

At 37% oil life remaining, that is about right since the first scheduled oil change recommended by Ford is 15,000Kms or 12 months... Whichever comes first.

However, as with previous cars I've owned, I prefer to change the oil every 5 to 6,000Kms.

Being the first oil change, it's a good idea to remove the mineral oil Ford put in, and replace it with full-synthetic.
I think it is also wise to remove the initial deposits and any wear shavings in circulation from the break-in period.

First thing I do is get everything out from the shed that I need to do the oil and filter change.
Always best to be organized and to make sure you have everything you need to save time.
I use two oil pans, one for the oil, and while I am waiting for it to fully drain, I place the other under the oil filter as I change that over to catch the oil from it.

My normal procedure when doing a 'driveway' home oil change is to drive the car's front wheels onto blocks of wood, to raise the front enough to get my low profile jack in place. Then I place a jack stand in a load bearing spot.
This is enough to give me enough space to roll under the car on my garage sleeper.
While the car is not level, it does not matter, as once I remove the drain plug, I then lower the car again so its level, to remove the final amount of oil left in the sump.
Then I jack it back up to fit the sump plug and replace the filter.
This saves time having to jack both sides up and using two jack stands.
If the car has not been driven, I let it idle for 5 or 6 minutes just to get some heat into the oil so it drains out quicker.
Using the oil temp gauge on the Mustang dash is also a good way to know once it's warmed up sufficiently.

The oil filter on the Ecoboost Mustang is probably located in the easiest spot of all the cars I've owned to get to.
Also being vertically mounted means less oil spill when removing it.
(A much better design than the horizontally mounted oil filters on the Falcons I'm used to).

I decided to use Castrol Magnatec full-synthetic, as that is what is recommended for the Ecoboost and meets the latest specification by Ford (WSS-M2C913-D).
To make sure I'm putting in the right amount of oil, I first make sure the oil level is correct before draining it.
Then I use a measuring jug to measure the amount of oil drained including what's in the old filter... Then replace that amount with new oil... Can't go wrong doing it this way, especially when it's your first oil change on a car you've never done before.
I removed 5.85 Litres, so buying the oil in a 6-litre container was the way to go.

All that's left to do, is to then reset the oil life monitor in the Mustang settings menu.
100% oil life and ready to go. :)

Reactions: Nater Potater

·
Registered
2017 PP MT DD
825 Posts
Yeah didn't find the Magnatec lasted as long as premium Penrite stuff this time round. But the last service tech swore by it. My cars done 60000kms though.

·
Registered
751 Posts
The oil filter on the Ecoboost Mustang is probably located in the easiest spot of all the cars I've owned to get to.
Also being vertically mounted means less oil spill when removing it.
(A much better design than the horizontally mounted oil filters on the Falcons I'm used to).

Another advantage to the vertically mounted oil filter is that it gives you the ability to fill it prior to offering it up to the engine, thereby drastically reducing the time it takes to supply oil to the bearings during the initial startup.

Nathan

·
Registered
39 Posts
Where did you get these? Would like a set for my 17

QUOTE="Go Further, post: 181013, member: 11129"]________________________________________________________________
* Originally posted in the forums - Reposted into this build thread for reference

Seat Belt Guide Mod

I found a very hard to find Mustang accessory I had been wanting for a while (at least here in Australia).
The Mustang Seat Belt Guide / Support to replace the clumsy magnetic belt strap on the side of the seat that easily comes undone while driving.

So picked a pair up today at a local Mustang parts supplier, designed for the 2015 - 2018 Ponies...

They are made from a hard quality plastic and have the holes in the right position to fit the Mustang headrests.

They Look OEM when fitted and makes grabbing your seat belt a whole lot easier.
They also prevent neck rash/rubbing from the seatbelt, and avoids damage to the magnetic leather strap and wear and tear from the belt rubbing on the leather seat over time.
Anyone who owns a new Mustang will understand what I am talking about here. :)

There is a slot in the side, to allow you to slip the belt through, and easily remove it from the guide loop, should you need to let passengers into the back seat.

This should have come standard with the S550 Mustangs, and I believe they were originally supplied with the older US Mustangs.

I am very happy with this mod and makes grabbing and putting on the seat belt a breeze... Highly recommended accessory!

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
39 Posts
And where did you get these?

Door Handle Grip Inserts - Great extra storage

They are made from quality ABS plastic, designed to fit the contours and shape of the door handle grips perfectly.
For the low price I paid I was not expecting much but was surprised at the overall quality, fit and finish.

They come with a black rubber foam attached all the way around the deep inserts for a perfect fit and stop any possible rattles.

Gives the pony two extra excellent storage spots, especially for your passenger and their phone.

It fits my Vape mod perfectly, placing it in easy reach for that occasional puff when stuck in traffic.
Sometimes, it's the low cost and simplest of mods that are the most satisfying. :)

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·

·
Registered
2 Posts

I'm sorry for the off topic, but can you post a link to that phone holder? I've been looking everywhere for one like that for my new ecoboost and that one looks great!

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Roush Quarter Panel Side Scoops installed

These Roush quarter panel scoops fit all 2015 - 2019 Mustangs, and come pre-painted in all the current Mustang paint colours.

Designed with OEM CAD data to ensure precise fitment, they are lightweight and made from blow-moulded ABS for superior appearance, durability, heat and impact resistance.

They come pre-fitted with quality 3M automotive tape ready to go, which is a bonus.

Included are full-size paper templates for both Left and right-hand sides of the car, and the first thing you need to do is cut them out from the one printed sheet.

After washing down the panels and removing any wax using a mixture of 50/50 Isopropyl Alcohol to create a squeak yclean surface for the 3M tape to adhere to,
it's time to attach the templates on both sides of the car using masking tape.

Before placing the scoops on the panel and alignment, you pre-start peeling the 3M tape's protection film backing by about an inch or so, and leave these 'tabs' bent outwards on all four sides for easy access.

Once the scoops are perfectly aligned with the template on the panel, you simply pull away on the backing film tabs to allow the adhesive tape to make contact with the body panel.
When attached, the instructions recommend using a rubber roller tool to go over all four sides to promote maximum adhesion.
The tape Roush supply is extremely strong, and I am condifent these scoops will not be falling off or going anywhere I feel.

The whole job took less than one hour to complete, and I am quite pleased with the result, finish and slightly more aggressive style it gives the car.

61 - 80 of 117 Posts