Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my turbo Mustang for a year and a half now...... and finally the Ford (Ford Performance) tune is available and I am going for it after the holidays. I had planned to do this last year, but the delay (for California cert) may have been worth it...... from everything I have read/researched on it, it seems to be a very effective tune for our motor (what it SHOULD HAVE BEEN!) if Ford hadn't decided to offer it in such a detuned state (so not to compete with the 5.0 Coyote). Apparently the tune makes the power delivery much more linear even up towards redline with more torque under the whole curve (almost 400 at peak) and it does this with stock boost and safely for the engine. It also tunes the auto transmission so driving in "D" shifts noticeably smoother and more responsively. Pricing from Ford dealers seems to be in the $800-850 range, but any ASE mechanic can do it and register it with FP to maintain warranty. :D

If anyone else has looked into this, please do add your 2-cents worth.

·
Registered
77 Posts
It is overpriced compared to any of the other tuners. It also lacks the flexibility of the other tuners. I favor the Cobb.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree it's a little pricey, but it does include the warranty. Since it just came out, it may be a few more weeks before the feedback comes in comparing it to other tunes. I expect it to be more moderate (like COBB S1) rather than the stronger Tune+ or Livernois. After New Year I should have enough info.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ive only seen one 1/4 mile run on the Ford tune. It was mid 13s Around 100-101 mph with a 1.8 60'. Cobb OTS stage 1 does bottom 13s to high 12s with a similiar 60'.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I installed this in my car just over a week ago. First of all it can be purchased online from Levitown Ford for $530 shipped. Install should be under $200. I installed myself since my warranty is up anyway. Took me under 2 hours for tune and CAI installation.

The tune is fantastic. I had tunes from MAP, Cobb stage 1 and tune+ in the past, but after my engine blew last spring I wanted something that is hopefully a lot more reliable. Power delivery is VERY smooth. The automatic shifts much better in both normal and sport/sport+. I believe for the auto it also includes some kind of transmission tuning. I have not had a great chance to really put it through the ringer as the weather has not been great, I will do that once things warm up a little and dry out. SO far VERY happy with the tune.

I think for anyone looking to only go as far as maybe an intercooler and exhaust this is a great option, beyond that you would need to custom tune. I only have an intercooler(CP-e) and might do an exhaust in the spring, thats the end of my medications for the engine. I think this is very much a great option, especially for those looking to keep a warranty. Also I have seen one other user post his dyne pulls and they looked great! A lot of people are talking bad about this tune without knowing much about it or trying it, but as someone who has tried a couple other options this is my favorite.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Thanks for the feedback ..I have had the bamma and now the cobb..I only have the 91 tune that it came with for now..it seems the bamma was more aggressive on takeoff and shifted quicker the cobb to me seems more stretched out between the gears and more top-end..nice to hear some positive feedback on the Ford tune that's available now.. thanks for that!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well..... it's installed now! I had it done by Southwest Ford (Weatherford Texas) which is also a Ford Performance dealer. Total cost $821...... a bit pricey, but it does include the air intake from the GT350 and the warranty. As far as performance goes, it's only 6 days now so it is still "learning", but I can definitely tell it drives smoother, both for power delivery at all RPM and auto tranny shifting. "Normal" drive mode is now more like "Sport", but far smoother. "Sport" mode is a bit of a monster....it feels like too much power in traffic, but really responsive on twisty roads. Gas mileage seems unaffected for highway cruising.... still getting in low 30's. When you step on the throttle half-way or more, the turbos engage and torque is crazy good with power all the way up towards redline.....much better than stock and making it close to the GT in performance on public roads (not racing). More later. :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have also had the Ford tune for about two weeks now. I noticed that it does feel smoother running even with a manual tranny. As far as power it seems to kick in sooner but not very noticeable at lower rpm's. All in all a good alternative if you have a lot of warranty left and don't plan on racing it. I'm very happy with it but wish it was out a year ago.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've had mine installed for 2 weeks now. I can definitely feel the difference now! It took a week to break-in the ecu programming for my 93 octane from the 87 (learns to advance timing, etc after several pulls/driving around) In "Normal" mode, it drives very smooth and has more responsiveness/acceleration than stock. Not much change in gas mileage for highway cruising (still low 30's). "Sport" mode works better with the auto tranny shifting smoother up and down and plenty of pulling power...... did I mention--PLENTY OF PULLING POWER! All the way up the RPM... no more falling flat at WOT. This should have been the stock tune... and it will be starting for 2018. Way to go Ford.:D

·
Registered
643 Posts
I'm glad you're loving your tune, its about time you can finally get it!

With that being said and with my experience thus far, I feel like Ford still left some room on the table with their tune. My first version of my TUNE+ completely transformed the car from stock. Everything was improved, all driving modes, all around.

Most people have/had waited for Ford's tune for so long due to the fact that they were concerned with warranty issues. I can see that as a logical response. However, for myself, I began tuning my car after only about two months of purchasing it. I have luckily had no issues at all other than nitpicking and scrutinizing which isn't really worth it for me. I've had mine for 14 months now and 20K miles, with maybe 19K miles custom tuned. In fact, the car has always seemed healthier than it did with the stock tune. Anyways, I'm ranting now so I'll just stop here. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Stupid question: Does the dealer have to install the CAI to stay within warranty or can you do it yourself and let them install the tune?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think it depends on the dealership. For example, one dealer told me that they wouldn't even install the kit unless it was ordered by them and then installed by them. It would have cost me $150 more just for the parts that way. I finally found a dealer that would let me buy the kit myself but had to bring them the unopened box to them for install. That being said, they wanted to install everything themselves to keep the warranty in place. I got a good deal though, I think, $600 for the parts and $175 for the install. Well worth the money for being able to place the blame on them. Lol.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now with the tune for a few weeks now...... my enthusiasm for this car just keeps on growing. No matter the tuner, this engine has plenty of performance in reserve to tap. Amazing driving experience...car pulls really well now.....better than most V6 engines and as good as many 8s. Glad I took a chance with this engine (with the performance tune of course) and it seems like everyone is turning to DI/turbo combos, even the euro snobmobiles. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think this thread clears up a few things, Ford has done there homework. from all the positive feed back,seems to be a great package.

·
Registered
54 Posts
What about octane learning with the ProCal tune if you're already running 93? Just got mine delivered yesterday, and plan to have it installed next week.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts