·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone now of anything like that

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I use Amsoil P.I. Its made for direct injection turbo applications. Dont know how budget freindly it is, but I believe in it.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Beware using any octane booster that contains MMT (most do).
It will coat your spark plugs with brown residue deposits, and is also not good for your cat or O2 sensors.
Avoid long term use, and only use it in emergencies when you cannot fill up with the correct grade of gas (especially if you've tuned your EB).

·
Registered
43 Posts
What are you using octane booster for? If you can get 91 or 93 at a gas station that should work fine and be better for your engine then the octane booster.

·
Registered
97 Posts
When we talk about the word "budget" and "octane booster" in the same sentence is a surefire recipe for disaster. While octane boosters come in a variety of flavors and price points, only a few work well enough to be worth relying on. The cheaper octane boosters seldom add more than 1 octane point (R+M/2) and are not much better than dumping a Red Bull in with your next fill up. (obviously do not do this either)

In my experience two trustworthy octane boosters are NOS "Racing" Octane Booster, they have two lower tiers (Street and Something else) which are bottled garbage. Torco is also a good product which works as advertised. Toluene and Xylene is another good octane booster available from your local hardware store, mixing guides are available from google. Use with caution though, you are making octane cocktail, so there is a fair risk if you get it wrong. The mixing ratios and cost of T and X by volume make it not exactly affordable, but did come recommended by Kenne Bell back in the day, which is where my mixing charts were sourced from.

Over the years I have been a more than habitual abuser of octane boosters while spraying Nitrous, Racing on non-intercooled blower cars, and generally touring with high horsepower cars into regions with farm grade gasoline. These were the days when your ears where your knock sensors, and "octane" was determined by how close you could get to WOT in overdrive before it rattled.

There are a couple of rules to follow:

• MMT fouling is a real thing, avoid it by following the on label mixing directions to the letter, do not simply dump a bottle of octane booster in with 3 gallons of fuel.
  • Always add your octane booster to a nearly empty tank immediately before fueling at the pump, this gives the best chance of getting the product well mixed with your fuel. Octane booster doesn't magically distribute through the fuel evenly, if you've ever had a layered alcoholic beverage, you'll know what I mean.
  • Do not add octane booster every tank, try to only use when needed or racing on a hot day.
  • Do not rely on octane booster to band-aid cheap gas, or replace good fuel, use it as additional knock protection, as a safety margin, or get you home insurance.
  • If you tune a car to rely on octane booster to meet minimum anti-knock it is a failure waiting to happen.
Even following the above, you will foul out spark plugs, I used to go through 2 set per season, and you never know when they will give up. Always have a spare set of pre-gapped plugs and a tool kit to do a roadside change out. I have had to do this twice on my own cars far from home, and once for a friend heading to a race event.

There is a danger of exhaust valve and cat damage, but I have never personally experienced it, and my Windsor 5.0L has the heads off for inspection every summer or so.

The other members may have some other options and input, but again budget octane booster is a shortcut to a ruined engine, or a the very least wasted effort.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
What he said^^

I dont use “octane boosters” to make up for cheap gas. I use a “performance enhancer” to make up for irregularities in fuel and avoid low spark pre ignition.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not for constant use. just for every once in a blue moon to compensate for a partial fill up of regular

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Most/All of the octane boosters you get at places like AutoZone that say they raise the octane by 5 points really mean .5 or 87 will be raised to 87.5.

The Torco costs about $20 for a 32 oz bottle and it takes a whole bottle to raise a 20 gal fill from 87 to 91.

Dave

·
Registered
43 Posts
Most/All of the octane boosters you get at places like AutoZone that say they raise the octane by 5 points really mean .5 or 87 will be raised to 87.5.

The Torco costs about $20 for a 32 oz bottle and it takes a whole bottle to raise a 20 gal fill from 87 to 91.

Dave
But even then why use it? Just buy 93 or 91 octane gas and don't spend $20 on a octane booster.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I certainly wouldn't. Even if I was stuck and had to fill with 87 I would drive sedately until I could fill with 93. If your Ecoboost is stock 87 is the recommended minimum anyway.

Dave

·
Registered
502 Posts
Never used them doubt I ever will have used 105 race fuel though. That was interesting in the Skyline.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Beware using any octane booster that contains MMT (most do).
It will coat your spark plugs with brown residue deposits, and is also not good for your cat or O2 sensors.
Avoid long term use, and only use it in emergencies when you cannot fill up with the correct grade of gas (especially if you've tuned your EB).
When I brought the subject up months ago because we here do not have 93, you advised me NOT TO DO IT, and the reasons why, I have not forgotten.

I Use only 92 octane with cobb stage 1 91 Tune. No Moon missions for my EB.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Off the shelf octane boosters-
The ones that make s notable difference will cost a good deal more so when shopping realize you get what you pay for.

Using an off the shelf octane booster is like having a cigarette, one is not likely to cause any issue but continued use could cause issues like catalytic converter fouling, sparkplug fouling and 02 sensor fouling due to the main ingredient MMT (Methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl), it works good at raising the knock resistance but leaves an orange ecale behind on everything it touches during combustion.

The dirt cheap mixes just use a bit of ethanol to raise octane a tiny percent.

The real high end stuff uses much more expensive additives to raise octane.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts