Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To set up my question...
I just replaced the stock air filter with a green drop in filter that I purchased on Amazon. The box seemed a bit old but the bag the filter was in was sealed. A sticker on the box with the model number had a date of 3/10/2017.

Here's my concern...the filter seemed dry. Of course I have no idea what an oiled filter should feel/look like, but it seemed dry.

Here's my question... Since the oil is used to catch dirt and assuming the filter was infact dry, will it damage my engine until I receive the recharge oil?

·
Super Moderator
6,149 Posts
Greens run drier than others. It'll be fine. Too much oil and you get it all through the intake.
I ran mine out of the box for 10,000 miles before swapping to the JLT. It was very dirty, so it did pick up the dust

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greens run drier than others. It'll be fine. Too much oil and you get it all through the intake.
I ran mine out of the box for 10,000 miles before swapping to the JLT. It was very dirty, so it did pick up the dust
Ok ty

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yep, You have to be careful and not over oil those kind of filters. I got my K&N on my Corvette too wet and it oiled up my mass air sensor and threw a check engine light. Also the mist was pulled into the OPTI Spark ignition module that sends fresh cooling air to the distributor on that style engine to clear ozone out of the distributor. Fogged up the photo sensor! Now THAT was quite an expensive AND time consuming mistake, because that distributor is behind the crank harmonic balancer pulley and under the water pump and BOTH have to come off to get to it. :mad: Some things are fun to learn and others NOT so much! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,292 Posts
Even the K&N oiled filter (which comes pre-oiled), looks fairly dry when you first open the box, which is normal.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My past experience with K&N is that they seem to be pretty oily out of the box. I have a Green in my Ecoboost Mustang and it didn't seem to be as oily.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I had a Green Filter on my Focus ST and I could not tell if it was oiled or not. I sent a not to Green and they insured me it was but I went ahead and cleaned and ready oiled it.

All the K&Ns I have had over the past 30 years look a lot dryer coming out of the package than they do after I have reoiled them but there is always been a film of oil on the inside of the bag so you know they were oiled.

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts