Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone redo their grills on the ecoboost? I really like the way the GT nose looks, so maybe something similar to that styling. Ive also heard stuff about active shutters being ugly and noticable when you switch out the factory grill? I know they can be removed, but if anyone has done it id like to hear if they ran into any probs or what not, and or if you did the grill without having to remove the shutters... any thoughts/pics?

·
Super Moderator
3,294 Posts
I have the GT Grille, with the active shutters removed. The shutters would fit behind the GT grille, but I also cut out the mesh in the lower grille, so the shutters would have been visible. Any of the aftermarket grilles will work, most of them with the shutters, but if you've got an aftermarket IC leaving the shutters out will give it more airflow. You can pull just the lower shutters if you like. I didn't get any codes when I removed them.

I also found that after removing the grille shutters the hood vibration at speed went down.

Reactions: tom272 and Punchy

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Yes a few of us have done the swap. If you search on here .. plenty of information and pics. I think it looks really nice ..i left my shutters on ..fits,fine behind the gt grill ..not noticeable unless you do a grill deleat
20170219_172323.jpg

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love the way both of you cars look! Def gonna do the gt grill now that I see it looking perfect!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Swapped in some GT grilles I picked up off of ebay. Did the cut out mod and glued in some screening from Custom Car Grilles. Here's the link. The grilles came from Shelby American where they are fitting their parts on new GTs then they auction off the take off parts. I believe I paid like $85. The pre-cut screens were about the same $85. I ended up ditching the active grille shutters. The only dislike I have is bugs and pine needles love to get jammed between the screen edge and the grille itself. Nothing that a pair of tweezers won't fix though. :)
0821170708.jpg

Above is what I finally settled on with no shutters. Below are a few pics of the job and the car before and after (with the shutters).

0821170708.jpg a.jpg b.jpg c.jpg d.jpg e.jpg f.jpg g.jpg h.jpg

·
Registered
634 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
How difficult is it to get the front bumper off yourself. I saw a video where it seemed to be the radiator cover, then a few bolts below that for the bumper, and then apparently some clips in the wheelwell that gave him some problems? Can anyone elaborate more, or point me to a better video. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
How difficult is it to get the front bumper off yourself. I saw a video where it seemed to be the radiator cover, then a few bolts below that for the bumper, and then apparently some clips in the wheelwell that gave him some problems? Can anyone elaborate more, or point me to a better video. Thanks!!
Two 7mm bolts, one inside each wheel well behind the splash shield, they put up a hell of a fight while taking them out because they are so awkward to get at.

Everything else is a piece of cake, just use zip lock bags to sort the bolts and clips.

At around 4:19 that nasty bolt is referenced in this video.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Two 7mm bolts, one inside each wheel well behind the splash shield, they put up a hell of a fight while taking them out because they are so awkward to get at.

Everything else is a piece of cake, just use zip lock bags to sort the bolts and clips.

At around 4:19 that nasty bolt is referenced in this video.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Thank you!! Essentially, the tire needs to come off. So I either need a lift, or two jack stands.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Thank you!! Essentially, the tire needs to come off. So I either need a lift, or two jack stands.
Turn the wheel full right for the left bolt and full left for the right bolt. Use a 1/4" drive ratchet with a 8ish" extension, universal an your 7mm socket. It's easy peasy to get them out.

Dave

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Turn the wheel full right for the left bolt and full left for the right bolt. Use a 1/4" drive ratchet with a 8ish" extension, universal an your 7mm socket. It's easy peasy to get them out.

Dave
I will give it a try. Thank you so much for your advice and tips!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts