Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone talk me off the ledge? I’ve had my 2020 Eco Pony for a little more than a year and a half, and still enjoy driving it every time. It’s only got 13K miles and other than a pony projector lamp falling out of the mirror, the car has been great. I’ve taken it on trips through the Texas hill country, and really opening it up on the back winding roads, which are still 70 MPH speed limit, has been immensely enjoyable. I put on new Continental tires which seemed to improve handling. However, the other day I found myself driving past a Ford dealership and saw an identical 2022 GT in silver, and ended up taking a test drive. Now I’m thinking of trading, but it makes no sense. I love the growl of the GT, but now thinking maybe it gets obnoxious after time. The only reason I’m really thinking about it is because I do have concerns about the longevity of these little turbo charged four bangers, since they are working so hard. I am changing oil every 3K miles, figured that can’t hurt. Wanted to get a catch can but never got around to it. If I keep the Eco I think I want to do the Ford performance pack. I just really am not sure what to do, thought I would listen to what other Eco owners think, or if anyone has had a GT in the past and transition to the Eco.

·
Administrator
3,920 Posts
The only reasons I see to get a GT are the noise and the top end power. For daily driving the 2.3T is great with all of the low to mid range torque that makes driving in traffic still fun.

But to each their own. Only you know if going for the GT will make you happier than the ecoboost.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I cannot give any real advice on whether to stay with your eco or got for the GT but I can say if you keep the eco and want the ford performance pack assuming you mean the Ford performance tuner pack with filter and tune program to increase the power and boost slightly. Just be aware that once you flash the tune the only way to go back to the stock tune is thru a ford dealer by paying a them to flash it back to the "as built data" for a fee. My dealer quoted me 2 hours labor at 135 per hour or 270 dollars to return it to the stock tune. So, if you decide to sell it and need to return to the stock tune it will cost you. The 2015 to 2017s can flash from stock to FP tune at will but that was changed in 2018+. It does run much better with the tune, but part of my tune program is inoperable and FP tech has yet to address the issue.

If I had it to do over, I would have gone with an aftermarket tuner that allows you to flash from stock to tuned at will.

Just my 0.02 cents worth.

BD

·
Registered
49 Posts
I went from a Focus ST, to an '18 base GT w/10 speed, to my now '21 HPP/HP. So I guess you could say I've been there, done that but in reverse (kinda). I got into the Focus because in previous years I played around with a different hot hatch, a Caliber SRT4. It was a fun car, Stage 3 but torque steer was stupid ugly on it, and no matter what I did for suspension mods and bracing it never really felt like a safe car under full power on a simple 2 lane road, it pulled straight for the ditch everytime to the point I thought the car was actually trying to kill me! After playing with the Focus for a year and a half, and going thru Ford's ST Octane Academy racing school, I stepped up into a GT. I would have likely skipped the Focus experience altogether but I wasn't sold on the earliest S550 models when I drove them. Not meaning to sound like a butthead here, but the '15-'17 Mustangs hood, sitting in the drivers seat, felt like they made the car feel like I was sitting in a boat (Crown Vic like). After doing a street/drag racing build on the GT (E85, longtubes, no cats, no mufflers, JLT, full Steeda suspension, Nitto 05R drag radial) Covid came along, and literally shut down all the car shows, events and places to drag race. I stared at the GT just sitting in my garage, ready to race, having already been to the track a few times in it, and started to think, life's changed, this car is a depreciating asset, ain't worth a crap even in the rain yet alone the fact I garaged it all winter the 2 years prior to 2020, so I sold it. Missed it for quite a while. Finally sold my year around Mustang too, an '07 V6 that was started to be in a spot with mileage where it was gonna nickle and dime me out of money. With all those lessons learned, I decided to get another Mustang, but this time, just one, and one I could justify driving year around so I didn't need to jockey 2 cars. After some research, and looking at aftermarket stuff I could do to it, I not only decided to go the Ecoboost route again, but in a Mustang, but also decided that I knew being a gearhead at heart I'd still be modding it, that I would/could save some cash and get something unique at the same time, so I bought my HPP/HP, again, since leaving the Focus platform, back into a car with a stick! Do I miss a low 11 second GT? Yeah. Some days I do. Was it a car that was destined to kill me if I wanted to try and drive it over the winter months? Maybe, I certainly wouldn't have been able to run a drag radial, and woulda had to take some power away by dropping down from the E85 tune (in cold climates E85 %age's drop dramatically anyhow so most tunes are no longer safe when the %age of available pump E85 drop into the 60% range). Is my HPP/HP fun enough? Yeah. 99% of the time it is. Especially since I've added the Cobb Stage 1. With what's turning into a long story, made short, in the end, its really all in who you are at heart, and of course what your wallet can afford to let you do. I have no regrets, I'm even satisfied with my '21 enough I see myself keeping it for a while and doing more and more aftermarket things to it next summer. Maybe even an E30 tune and a downpipe. So my best advice to you, do what your heart says to do, not what your mind says...because if you try to overthink stuff like this, you'll just drive yourself crazy with it, and that will cause regrets.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I’m not much good to you in respect of your question, seeing as my Ecoboost is my first Mustang. However, I had a lot of fun cars over the years which were not barn burners. I launched myself into British cars with two original Minis. Just stock 998cc ones, but handling in spades. And a blast to drive in the snow. Next was a ‘75 MG Midget, my first convertible, which I had 7 years before no. 1 daughter came along. There was a drought with boring everyday cars and vans until 2005 when I bought a Triumph TR8, with the Rover 3.5L V8. It too was a convertible and had a bit more power but certainly wasn’t particularly fast. I kept it about 5 years. When I started a search for a new toy, I drove lots of old stuff and then decided that I would buy a fun car for a daily driver. I started out looking at Challengers and then my wife suggested we get another convertible. Well, it wasn’t going to be a Camaro, as I didn’t like the styling, so here I am. I could have bought a GT, as money wasn’t an issue. I just figured the Ecoboost was sufficient power for my needs. Your needs may vary. If you think you’ll be happier in a GT, go for it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, that is good info to remember, and it reminds me why I got the Mustang - I’ve had a few Thunderbirds but wanted a more modern car, rear wheel drive, and something that doesn’t look like every single other car on the road. You’re absolutely right, the Eco provides more than sufficient power for daily driving, and it’s still quicker than most cars. I’m not a crazy driver anyway, but it’s nice to easily merge onto the highway, have power boost when needed, etc. As long as I do all the maintenance I’m sure the 2.3T will last just fine. My sister gave me 2.3T badges which are the same font and size as the GT badges, so I’ll put them on the fenders. I have the active exhaust with four pipes, so from 30 feet away looking into the sun and squinting it might just look like a GT LOL. If only it didn’t sound like a blender operating on high… but I’ve gotten used to the sound, and now I’m thinking about all the other better purposes for the money. I was actually going to sell my 2004 Thunderbird and use that money for GT, but maybe just keep the Thunderbird since it has a V8 (that produces less horsepower than the 2.3T). Also, and this is absurdly ridiculous, my 2020 has the “Mustang 55 years“ badge on the dash, which I like.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I cannot give any real advice on whether to stay with your eco or got for the GT but I can say if you keep the eco and want the ford performance pack assuming you mean the Ford performance tuner pack with filter and tune program to increase the power and boost slightly. Just be aware that once you flash the tune the only way to go back to the stock tune is thru a ford dealer by paying a them to flash it back to the "as built data" for a fee. My dealer quoted me 2 hours labor at 135 per hour or 270 dollars to return it to the stock tune. So, if you decide to sell it and need to return to the stock tune it will cost you. The 2015 to 2017s can flash from stock to FP tune at will but that was changed in 2018+. It does run much better with the tune, but part of my tune program is inoperable and FP tech has yet to address the issue.

If I had it to do over, I would have gone with an aftermarket tuner that allows you to flash from stock to tuned at will.

Just my 0.02 cents worth.

BD
Thank you, good info, especially about the tune. I have never had a tuner car so know very little about it, and was considering the Ford tune because it doesn’t void the warranty. However someone else has told me that any tune doesn’t automatically void the warranty, if anything happens Ford needs to make the case that the tune is directly responsible. Just thought it might liven up the car up a bit, although it’s certainly OK now. Very helpful to know about the issue re-flashing back to OEM.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went from a Focus ST, to an '18 base GT w/10 speed, to my now '21 HPP/HP. So I guess you could say I've been there, done that but in reverse (kinda). I got into the Focus because in previous years I played around with a different hot hatch, a Caliber SRT4. It was a fun car, Stage 3 but torque steer was stupid ugly on it, and no matter what I did for suspension mods and bracing it never really felt like a safe car under full power on a simple 2 lane road, it pulled straight for the ditch everytime to the point I thought the car was actually trying to kill me! After playing with the Focus for a year and a half, and going thru Ford's ST Octane Academy racing school, I stepped up into a GT. I would have likely skipped the Focus experience altogether but I wasn't sold on the earliest S550 models when I drove them. Not meaning to sound like a butthead here, but the '15-'17 Mustangs hood, sitting in the drivers seat, felt like they made the car feel like I was sitting in a boat (Crown Vic like). After doing a street/drag racing build on the GT (E85, longtubes, no cats, no mufflers, JLT, full Steeda suspension, Nitto 05R drag radial) Covid came along, and literally shut down all the car shows, events and places to drag race. I stared at the GT just sitting in my garage, ready to race, having already been to the track a few times in it, and started to think, life's changed, this car is a depreciating asset, ain't worth a crap even in the rain yet alone the fact I garaged it all winter the 2 years prior to 2020, so I sold it. Missed it for quite a while. Finally sold my year around Mustang too, an '07 V6 that was started to be in a spot with mileage where it was gonna nickle and dime me out of money. With all those lessons learned, I decided to get another Mustang, but this time, just one, and one I could justify driving year around so I didn't need to jockey 2 cars. After some research, and looking at aftermarket stuff I could do to it, I not only decided to go the Ecoboost route again, but in a Mustang, but also decided that I knew being a gearhead at heart I'd still be modding it, that I would/could save some cash and get something unique at the same time, so I bought my HPP/HP, again, since leaving the Focus platform, back into a car with a stick! Do I miss a low 11 second GT? Yeah. Some days I do. Was it a car that was destined to kill me if I wanted to try and drive it over the winter months? Maybe, I certainly wouldn't have been able to run a drag radial, and woulda had to take some power away by dropping down from the E85 tune (in cold climates E85 %age's drop dramatically anyhow so most tunes are no longer safe when the %age of available pump E85 drop into the 60% range). Is my HPP/HP fun enough? Yeah. 99% of the time it is. Especially since I've added the Cobb Stage 1. With what's turning into a long story, made short, in the end, its really all in who you are at heart, and of course what your wallet can afford to let you do. I have no regrets, I'm even satisfied with my '21 enough I see myself keeping it for a while and doing more and more aftermarket things to it next summer. Maybe even an E30 tune and a downpipe. So my best advice to you, do what your heart says to do, not what your mind says...because if you try to overthink stuff like this, you'll just drive yourself crazy with it, and that will cause regrets.
That Focus ST is quite a hot hatch, isn’t it. I appreciate your info, learned quite a lot and much to think about. The fact that you bought a Mustang Ecoboost after the cars you’ve had makes me feel much better about having one. When I went looking, just assumed I’d get a GT, but it was April 2021 and the closest Ford dealer only had a few 2021 GT‘s and wasn’t wild about color/options, and there was a silver 2020 Ecoboost Premium sitting there deeply discounted due to aged inventory, so that’s what happened. I really like the look of the Mustang in silver, plus my Thunderbirds have always been silver. I did not know about the HPP at the time or might have looked for one. I’ve seen some YouTube videos about the HPP and it’s very interesting, would love to drive one for comparison. Reading what everyone wrote has made me realize there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 2.3T and it really is fine for my purposes. I’d end up with a big V8 that costs more to insure, more to operate/maintain, and that I will almost never really use since I don’t track cars or anything. Maybe if I was younger, but at my age and as little as I drive, the Eco is the best option, I think.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Thank you, good info, especially about the tune. I have never had a tuner car so know very little about it, and was considering the Ford tune because it doesn’t void the warranty. However someone else has told me that any tune doesn’t automatically void the warranty, if anything happens Ford needs to make the case that the tune is directly responsible. Just thought it might liven up the car up a bit, although it’s certainly OK now. Very helpful to know about the issue re-flashing back to OEM.
Thats the main reason I went with the ford tune was keeping the warranty intact for 3/36, it does not definitely void the 5/60 part of the powertrain warranty but if ford decides the FP tune caused a failure after the 3/36 they can deny coverage after the 3/36 time frame has passed. Yes, the Magnusson Moss act does offer some protection but if they deny a claim it will become a battle of lawyers since you will also have to prove the tune did not cause the failure. Ford has a lot more money and lawyers than most of the public have access too.

I did not read the read the fine print at bottom of the FP tune info page where it states "Note" dealer must reflash stock tune for a charge.
See my threads on the issues I have with my tune.

The FP tune definitely wakes the car up and raises the max boost from 20psi to 24psi at WOT and improves the shift quality of the 10R.

(6) FP tune issues with configure and restore operation. | Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum

(6) Just flashed FP tune and have some unanswered questions. | Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum

BD

1 - 9 of 9 Posts