Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already have the air aid tube and stock inbox with k&n filter. I got the gt350 intake from ford along with the pro cal. Should I install it or does the stock airbox work better

·
Registered
396 Posts
I already have the air aid tube and stock inbox with k&n filter. I got the gt350 intake from ford along with the pro cal. Should I install it or does the stock airbox work better
I am no expert but the latest Ford Performance tune comes with the K&N drop in filter vs. the 15-17 that came with the GT350 intake. I have also read that the stock air box or closed unit is better than an open air box.

Reactions: olubode08 and drazz

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
IMO, the GT350 box is a poor fit. On one hand, you have to cut the rubber boot, in order to fit it over the intake adapter on the bumper, thus killing your ability to 'vacuum' out the nose. And on the other, I found the open element nature of the CAI to take in a lot of engine heat. My IAT's skyrocketed and had a heck of a time recovering with throttle when I ran the GT350 bucket. I ended up replacing it with a 'closed' Airaid, and noted a marked iprovement in keeping IAT's down. I'd stick with the OEM box.

·
Registered
2018 Premium Fastback
57 Posts
I did a lot of "research" (forums, after market part dealers, ect...) before I upgraded my intake set up (mind you it's for my daily not a track car). The general consensus was always that aftermarket airboxes either do not improve performance, or reduce performance vs the factory box, airaid tube, and performance air filter. Given you have to cut the seal on the GT350 box I'd personally stick with what you have as you're not going to get a perfect fit and likely a performance reduction.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
The problem with "open lid" aftermarket CAI's, is they use a conical pod filter.
Now all things being equal, in theory, the conical pod filter is sucking air in from 360 degrees around the cone.

Now if the open lid box is not sealing with the hood and the under hood insulation lining, then it is fair to assume that some of the air being sucked in is from the cone area on the top of the cone.

Therefore sucking in warm engine bay air from the top surface filter area of the cone.

Only the lower surface filter area of the cone, will be sucking in cooler air that is coming through the snout and front of the car grille.

This can only lead to mix of warm and colder air, thus defeating the purpose of a CAI.

Reactions: olubode08

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I have used the stock box with stock filter, stock box with drop in filter, after market JLT CAI with large intake tube and the GT350 CAI. None of them made enough difference in power to be noticed by the butt dyno.

I choose to use the GT350 CAI because it looks like a factory piece which of course it is. It fits just as well as the stock box which is to be expected because it is a factory piece. There is also no concern over it sucking hot under hood air because it seals to the bottom of the hood. I simply like the bling factor when opening the hood.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am no expert but the latest Ford Performance tune comes with the K&N drop in filter vs. the 15-17 that came with the GT350 intake. I have also read that the stock air box or closed unit is better than an open air box.
i was told by the service manager the gt350 filter box may alllow water into the filter for the 18+ models because of the heat extractors on the hood.

·
Registered
396 Posts
[
i was told by the service manager the gt350 filter box may alllow water into the filter for the 18+ models because of the heat extractors on the hood.
Ok that makes sense. The fact that Ford went from the GT350 CAI to a K&N drop-in filter suggests the K&N flows about the same as a GT350 CA and both flow better than the OEM paper filter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have used the stock box with stock filter, stock box with drop in filter, after market JLT CAI with large intake tube and the GT350 CAI. None of them made enough difference in power to be noticed by the butt dyno.

I choose to use the GT350 CAI because it looks like a factory piece which of course it is. It fits just as well as the stock box which is to be expected because it is a factory piece. There is also no concern over it sucking hot under hood air because it seals to the bottom of the hood. I simply like the bling factor when opening the hood.

Like the bling factor you reference as well, but will the FP GT350 CAI fit the 2020 EB HPP or 2021 EB HPP?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Like the bling factor you reference as well, but will the FP GT350 CAI fit the 2020 EB HPP or 2021 EB HPP?
No idea. I heard that they stopped providing the GT350 CAI in 2018 because the hood line was revised slightly lower and it does not fit. Makes sense because the GT350 CAI seals to the bottom side of the hood.

Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts