• No/Not yet!

Votes: 17 65.4%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow Ecoboost owners,

Who else has had their A/C system fail (typically evaporator core leaking) within say the first 36000-48000 miles?

There is enough discussion on this board and elsewhere to suggest that poor design and manufacturing may be at fault. This is a $1000-1700+ replacement cost per incident, and unless the faulty design has been remedied (unlikely), we're getting identical, equally-likely-to-fail parts supplied for the repair. Ford should pay for these repairs as a non-safety recall and refund those who have paid out of pocket already for faulty parts.

If you have had an A/C problem, please reply with the year, mileage, diagnosis and cost, i.e.:
Leaking evaporator core
$1700

I'm just trying to get a sense of how many people have had the same problem and the range of associated costs, so please reply even if yours was repaired under warranty.

Drive on!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Calling ALL A/C afflicted EBrs!!

SnowTyres has started another great thread here. I've already read the many threads within this board that have helped me fully understand the evap core issue. Thank you to all who have previously posted!! That's why this board is so fantastic! I am quite certain, after my research, that I'm on the front end of this problem. I'll post again with Big Red's specific HVAC behaviors.

Now, I like this specific thread on topic because of the voting. We need data/numbers. What sample size can we collect? What % have had this issue? Maybe, with some real data, we can grass-roots this f_cker and get FoMoCo to take action. Many of you may still be under warranty. If so, that's great!! But . . . if you're like me, outside looking in, you're not super excited about shredding $1,500-$2,500 for this repair. So like SnowTyres says above, please reply even if your EB was repaired under warranty. You can definitely help out those of us who no longer have a safety net.

@SnowTyres . . . If I could suggest, please change your voting options to include more mileage breaks. I think it will help improve the data set. Let me suggest the following:

- fewer than 12,000 miles
- 12,001 - 18,000
- 18,001 - 24,000
- 24,001 - 30,000
- 30,001 - 36,000
- 36,001 - 42,000
- 42,001 - 48,000
- 48,001 - 54,000
- 54,001 - 60,000
- 60,001 - 66,000
- 66,001 - 72,000
- 72,001+

Thanks, SnowTyres. Thanks to all.

Many happy miles!

Matt

·
Registered
456 Posts
Calling ALL A/C afflicted EBrs!!

…. I'll post again with Big Red's specific HVAC behaviors.
So today, I cracked out my Weber iGrill Bluetooth meat thermometer . . . for the 2nd time! :) Turns out, it was PERFECT for collecting some temp data from my system.

Wire Technology Wrist Electronic device Speedometer
Speedometer Gauge Vehicle Car Measuring instrument
Vehicle audio Vehicle Car Automotive design Auto part
Electronics Technology Gadget Vehicle door Electronic device
Vehicle door Automotive exterior Vehicle Car Auto part

Probe 1 - Driver LEFT
Probe 2 - Middle LEFT
Probe 3 - Middle RIGHT
Probe 4 - Passenger RIGHT

For all use cases, my temp was set to LOW, with blower @ setting 7.

Phase 1: Startup/Idle

20*+ differential. Crazy. Makes me think I definitely have 'the issue'.
Text Font Line Circle Screenshot

Phase 2: 1-5 minute drive; Normal A/C mode

All temps drop, with higher temps in the middle vents. Weird.
Vehicle Car Center console Electronics Technology
Text Font Line Circle Screenshot

Phase 3: 6-10 minute drive; MAX A/C mode w/RECIRC

Further temp drop, as expected with recirc . . . and middle vents are still ~10* higher than outside vent temps. All I would consider 'cold'.
Vehicle Car Center console Technology Auto part
Text Font Line Number Circle

Like I said in my first post, I think I'm on the front end of the issue, expecting that my temps will rise and become more erratic.

Anyway, as always, your comments (and questions) are welcome.

Thanks,

Matt

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
My AC is exhibiting the same issues as others are having with the evaporator core. I have had a white film on the inside of my windshield, and now the AC is not blowing cold. The passenger side dash vent and center right center dash vents blow colder than the drivers side vents, but still not really cold (just a bit cooler). I printed out the TSB and am going to my dealer for service on 7/17. All indications are a faulty evaporator core. We will see... warranty is up on 7/21, so glad this happend now instead of August!

·
Registered
3 Posts

Who else has had their A/C system fail (typically evaporator core leaking) within say the first 36000-48000 miles?

There is enough discussion on this board and elsewhere to suggest that poor design and manufacturing may be at fault. This is a $1000-1700+ replacement cost per incident, and unless the faulty design has been remedied (unlikely), we're getting identical, equally-likely-to-fail parts supplied for the repair. Ford should pay for these repairs as a non-safety recall and refund those who have paid out of pocket already for faulty parts.

If you have had an A/C problem, please reply with the year, mileage, diagnosis and cost, i.e.:
Leaking evaporator core
$1700

I'm just trying to get a sense of how many people have had the same problem and the range of associated costs, so please reply even if yours was repaired under warranty.

Drive on!
Hey SnowTyre, I also have leaking refrigerant (2016 Ecoboost Premium, Auto, 49K miles) -- Warm driver's side, white windshield film. It has been ongoing since I picked the car up at 38k, not sure when it failed before that.

Hope we can get attention for this issue by pulling in more affected owners!

Thanks!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mine went out a while ago and the dealer repaired under warranty. If memory serves me it was about 30K, I remember thinking that I dodged a bullet on the replacement due to my mileage. My service adviser said they replaced it with an updated part and it shouldn't have any more problems. Something about Ford revising the part after 2018 models or in them or something, don't really remember. That was about 20K ago so I guess we will soon see if its better or the evap just has a 30K average lifespan!

·
Registered
5 Posts

Leaking evaporator core
$1700

Drive on!
Pan issue that Ford knows about, obviously. They can’t get the true numbers due to the fact that dealerships aren’t reporting them all.

Leaking evaporator core
$1700

Drive on!
Please contact NHTSA.GOV and form a complaint!! They advised me of how this works- if the dealership doesn’t report to them- which they don’t, then they can’t start a recall. The fact that our windshields fog up due to the bad core is a safety issue!!! Not to mention the $1500-2000 Cost

·
Registered
5 Posts
Please contact NHTSA.GOV and form a complaint!! They advised me of how this works- if the dealership doesn’t report to them- which they don’t, then they can’t start a recall. The fact that our windshields fog up due to the bad core is a safety issue!!! Not to mention the $1500-2000 Cost

·
Registered
7 Posts

Leaking evaporator core
$1700

Drive on!
yes my has failed 2015 mustang gt convertible 33 thousand miles leaking evaporator

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey SnowTyre, I also have leaking refrigerant (2016 Ecoboost Premium, Auto, 49K miles) -- Warm driver's side, white windshield film. It has been ongoing since I picked the car up at 38k, not sure when it failed before that.

Hope we can get attention for this issue by pulling in more affected owners!

Thanks!
yes there are so many people that have this problem we need to get on fords ass they should be sued if they don't address it

·
Registered
1 Posts

Leaking evaporator core
$1700

Drive on!
2017 mustang gt
Evaporator core
$2100

·
Registered
193 Posts
2016 28,500 charged my system yesterday hope it will hold for a while. Waiting on recall 😏

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
2016 28,500 charged my system yesterday hope it will hold for a while. Waiting on recall 😏
2016. Honestly, it happened about the same mileage. Maybe even a little less. This was summer 2018. It's been fine since.

·
Registered
842 Posts
2020 eco with 10,700 miles and no issues yet, bought used 12/21 with 5800 miles so hopefully if the supposedly revised evap core has in fact corrected the issue I will not need any future repairs.

BD

1 - 15 of 15 Posts