Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the most common questions that anyone wanting to upgrade their Ecoboost Mustang asks is, “what tuner should I use to help make the power gains from my mods?”

This is a tough one for anyone to answer, since we can only provide feedback on the unit we have. I think the better question to ask is, “which tuner will give me good gains with the best support for my car and mods?” This leads into not only which unit to use, but if working with a pro-tuner, which one to go with. I’m not going to address that side, though I will mention what tuners each of the pros works with.

I’m going to try and outline the known handheld tuners that work with the Ecoboost Mustang. This is a topic that has a lot of personal preference in it and those that will argue for any unit. I will try to be non-biased, but I admit that I have the Cobb Accessport V3 and enjoy what I have gotten out of it. I am also going to skip anything that isn’t programmable like the BoostMax and PedalMax units, or the Ford Performance tune.

If anyone has specific features of a handheld tuner that you’re either using or familiar with that I can add to this list, please let me know and I’ll edit this post to include them.

1. Cobb Accessport V3
a. Comes with Off the Shelf tunes for 91 and 93 Octane in three levels of modification, Stage 1 (stock with drop in filter), Stage 2 (filter and intercooler), Stage 3 (Filter, intercooler, turbo-back exhaust), as well as a Stage 0, and Valet mode. Each tune (stage 1-3) has 5 levels from high boost performance to zero boost eco-mode in quick change slots. Additional features including Flat Foot shifting, burnout mode, and more.
b. Tuners working with this unit – adamtuned.com, www.pd-tuning.com, www.freektune.com, nationwide network of Cobb authorized Tuners
c. Unit Available from cobbtuning.com, lmr.com, cjponyparts.com
d. User adjustable features – Traction control on/off​

2. SCT Rev-X
a. Comes with 2 custom tunes, no OTS tunes available
b. Tuners working with this unit – www.bamaperformance.com, www.unleashedtuning.com
c. Unit available from AmericanMuscle.com,
d. User adjustable features - unknown​

3. SCT X4/SF4
a. Comes with pre-configured tunes.
b. Tuners working with this unit – www.bamaperformance.com, www.unleashedtuning.com
c. Unit available from AmericanMuscle.com, unleashedtuning.com, lmr.com, cjponyparts.com
d. User Adjustable features - WOT Fuel Adjustment, Idle RPM, Spark Adjustment, , Transmission Shift Points, Axle Ratio, Fuel Injector Size, Tire Size - Rev / Mile, Air Intake Selection, Cooling Fan Temps, Traction Control On / Off, Rev / Speed Limiters, Two Step On / Off RPM​

4. Diablosport Intune I2
a. Comes with pre-loaded tunes and has the ability to do multi-vehicle tuning from single unit with additional license purchase.
b. Tuners working with this unit – www.bamaperformance.com,
c. Unit available from lmr.com,

5. Bully Dog Performance Programmer BDX
a. Comes with pre-loaded tunes
b. Tuners working with this unit - unknown
c. Unit available from cjponyparts.com, bullydog.com

All tuners are capable of running data logs, storing multiple tunes at once, and improving your overall performance.

Reactions: gatornek and slojas

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Few comments;
1. SCT sells two other hand helds beside the private branded RevX and X4. The Live Wire has most of the same features as the Cobb AP at the same price.
2. I do not believe that Diablosport has canned tunes for the 2.3 Ecoboost at this time which means you will have to work with a tuner that supports that platform.
3. It is much more important to chose the tuner you want to work with than the hand held you use.

I have used the SCT canned tunes, Steeda, Unleashed and now on my 17, Ford Performance.

The power measured by the butt dyno between SCT, Steeda and the original Unleashed tune were the same. The SCTs throttle response was abrupt making it not as good as the others. Steeda was difficult to get ahold of and I could never get them to respond to data logs I sent. Unleashed has customer serve that is second to none. After two tweaks of the tune from data logs I got my best 0 to 60 from 5.5 to 5.3 seconds (PP car with 3.55 gears requiring a shift to third before hitting 60).

With my 17 I started differently and put an intercooler on the car first. That made a noticeable improvement in the power above 5500rpm (never had an intercooler on the 15) I then added the FP kit and their CAI after which I did a resonator delete (still have stock mufflers). I haven't played with 0-60 runs but the car feels faster in the top end than the 15.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the FX-4, and currently running 93 octane stock tune. I have K&N and am getting Mishimoto intercooler put on this week along with 70mm throttle body. I have not really gotten on it since the tune because it pushed me up so much in power that she gets hot and bogs down. Im pretty excited to really open it up this week. But the lag has really minimized and feel the power immediately. I have a manual trans so Im unsure if some are better for a specific transmission. I am very happy with the FX4 and highly recommend it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had both Cobb v3 and the SCT X4 just a couple things to point out on both......
The Access port is SOOOOOO easy to use/tune/data log with. The programs you need on your computer to drag datalogs to email back and forth are so simple to understand and use. Plus the tunes go onto your car so much faster and you can choose between multiple maps on the fly. (no spending 15 minutes changing maps at the gas station when switching to E30 ??) the device can hold multiple tunes, multiple datalogs, its real nice unit. BUT this all comes with a price. If buying new it's $550. Now if you use their off the shelf maps that's all fine and dandy but in a month or so you WILL want more... So a pro tune is an additional $350 and that's just the tune for the engine itself... If you want transmission calibration welp that's another $150 ! So right there your at $1000+ for just tuning.... Nothing else.

Now the SCT X4 is a dinosaur in comparison.... Lol. It just feels like.... Well OLD ?. Like a first gen Nintendo controller...... In MY EXPERIENCE the programs for my home computer for the datalog exchanges were a ROYAL pain in the ass to get to function properly. I had to get SCT involved it was just a sour experience really really frustrating. I did get it all worked out and SCT's tech guys held my hand through it all (I don't understand 1970's computer technology) The device itself can hold multiple tunes I think something crazy like 100. But somehow only ONE FRIGGIN DATALOG AT A TIME !!!! Which for me personally kinda sucks because I usually like sending a couple pulls just to let the pro tuner get more data to look at.... Now you can drag your laptop with you and datalog straight to your computer and log multiple logs but it's just kind of a pain to try and have all that crap in the passenger seat while smashing on your car.... BUT none of that would apply to you if you bought it and did the 93 canned tune and just enjoyed that. And I will say for a canned tune the SCT 93 tune was night and day awesome. In MY experience it's the best canned tune there is. Pulled awesome barked the tires in-between gears.. Just all around cool ?. Now to the meat and potatoes.. The regular price of the SCT X4 is $399 but when I purchased it there was a $40 rebate. Now depending on where you purchase your SCT device most pro tuners websites offer a FREE PRO TUNE with purchase !! This was a HUGE deciding factor for me. ALSO The protuners that use the SCT devices INCLUDE the trans calibration in their tunes. So this is a really really big thing to consider when purchasing a hand held.....

So just between these 2 in my experience it's $1050 (Cobb) Vs.
$350 (SCT)

to end up in the same place TUNE wise....

Did I love my Cobb ? ABSOLUTELY it was so simple to use and so fast at everything programming wise... AND it felt like it was made in this millennium..... Now that I've learned to use the ol dinosaur SCT... Do I love it ? Mehhhh sure... I guess... maybe.... uhh we are coexisting... Lol. Am I happy about the $700 I saved ? F*** yeah !!!! But I still find myself really really missing the Cobb access port ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Has anyone here gotten the mycalibrator tune from livernois? The updated unit or the new one. How is it?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Since I have to replace my tuner due to a thief taking my SCT X4, with the Cobb it comes ready to go with a pre-loaded tune from them? Then later I can have someone write a tune specifically for my car? That is what it appears to say on their site and the paragraph at the start of this.

·
Super Moderator
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since I have to replace my tuner due to a thief taking my SCT X4, with the Cobb it comes ready to go with a pre-loaded tune from them? Then later I can have someone write a tune specifically for my car? That is what it appears to say on their site and the paragraph at the start of this.
Yes, the Cobb Accessport comes pre-loaded with some canned tunes for their upgrade strategy. You can then load and run the appropriate tune for the mods you have. Once you go past their mods list or decide it's worthwhile you can get a pro tuner to do a custom tune for you.

Reactions: Bill_B and Jimc12

·
Registered
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible
18 Posts
I have the Cobb tune. When I bought mustang Livernois had no tuner for mustang. I did use the Livernois tuner for my 2010 SHO and liked it. Traded it for wife's 2015 F-150 and Livernois sent me tunes for the truck free as I already had tuner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts