Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Hello all,
2017 ecoboost mustang just under 36k miles on it, over 5 years old so out of warranty.
the past few weeks the check engine light has gone on for a day or so then shut off.
Yesterday while driving it for a second the car hesitated and engine overheat message showed on the dash. But it only did this for a second and ran fine after that. I got it home checked fluids and the overflow was almost empty.
Went to the auto parts store had them check the codes
P0234
P0304 codes showed
Got antifreeze headed home and about a mile from the house, the temp gage went from normal to all the way to hot and a message
Engine coolant over temperature showed on the dash. I pulled over shut it off and waited about 20 minutes. Checked the oil, not milky
No signs of a leak anywhere. Drove it the mile home and let it rest/cool down.

about 4 hours later i filled the overflow reservoir with coolant. Started it up and instantly the “engine coolant over temp” message showed on the dash and the temp gage went right to hot.

i let it run for a few seconds thinking the overflow might pump fluid through the system but it stated on hot. So i shut it off.

i called the local ford dealer and am going to have it towed to them.
I am assuming blown gasket? Besides for this, its runfine. Once i started it and saw some white smoke from the exhaust, but besides that its run and idled and seemed fine.

so just trying to get an idea on possible issues?
Blown gasket? Motor damage?
i figured i would let it cool for a bit longer? Maybe Overnight? And then try starting it to see if it still shows hot? or am i only doing further damage and should just tow it to the dealer?

assuming blown gasket? Any idea on costs?
Is it possible there is engine damage?

ive had the car since it was new, never a problem, no mods at all always changed oil and used super. At 35,650 miles i am kind of disappointed with such a potentially large repair bill.

Any thoughts and or ideas on costs to repair this with either good case scenario or bad case scenario?

And dealer required/suggested or could i bring it to the neighborhood shop?

Thanks In advance for any info/suggestions.
Was the Ford dealership able to give you any insight as to the cause of failure and/or information concerning the fault codes, did they say which code came first, P0234 or P0304??

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So just an update…. I called ford motor co customer relations and pled my case…
They are taking 4000$ off the price of the engine replacement. My main gripe was the car although past 5 years, only had 35,800 miles. Still not a great situation, and honestly, i am really considering getting rid of the car after, but i feel that their offer was relatively fair.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
So just an update…. I called ford motor co customer relations and pled my case…
They are taking 4000$ off the price of the engine replacement. My main gripe was the car although past 5 years, only had 35,800 miles. Still not a great situation, and honestly, i am really considering getting rid of the car after, but i feel that their offer was relatively fair.
I wouldn't be happy either... But, if you can get a brand new factory Ford (2020+) create motor installed for $5000. with new warranty. I'd be tempted to do the "happy dance".

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So to put an end to this thread, and story, FMC called today the dealer has finished my car, final cost 2901 way less than i had originally been quoted by the dealer. If the dealers invoice is different that that i will show them Ford’s text. They (ford) also offered a goodwill extended warranty

soi really can not complain at all, from 10,000 to 2901 and they are tossing in an extended warranty - no idea what that would have costed or is worth, but i can not complain. Ford did me right. I was so disappointed and was going to sell the car right after repairing. I will keep it now, ive always said, its my favorite car.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts