Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Mustang Ecoboost, 6-speed manual, premium
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I DD my 2016 ecoboost and have a number of mods for power and efficiency, but I am torn about getting a larger intercooler since I live near Seattle where it only gets really hot for about 6 weeks of the year.
What do you think? Is an intercooler upgrade with it just for daily/some spirited driving in normally cool climate?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Grille Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Headlamp

I've learned that the spirited driving has just as much to do with heat soak, as does where you are doing it at... This time I went with a full race intercooler from EMS (engineered motorsports solutions). Should of purchased it 3 years ago!

·
Registered
Follow my Instagram @ Inazuma.s550
7 Posts
Hey all,
I DD my 2016 ecoboost and have a number of mods for power and efficiency, but I am torn about getting a larger intercooler since I live near Seattle where it only gets really hot for about 6 weeks of the year.
What do you think? Is an intercooler upgrade with it just for daily/some spirited driving in normally cool climate?
For me personally im in the SE ( it is hot as HELL down here) and im running a street intercooler from CV Fab and as long as you're getting air flow through it (i.e not stop and go traffic) you should do just fine with a regular aftermarket intercooler. I used to live in the PNW and i agree the temps are way more consistent and lower than alot of the US, so a normal aftermarket intercooler should be just fine for spirited. Plus you probably want to keep those Active Shutters (if you still have them) incase you get a bunch of snow.
My temps are usually only 10-15 degrees above ambient which is a massive improvement from the dinky intercooler from factory

·
Registered
2016 Mustang Ecoboost, 6-speed manual, premium
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback! So I'm hearing that even a small street intercooler upgrade is still recommended even if Temps don't usually get that high where Iive? Would a small street intercooler be felt in performance or anything?

·
Registered
Follow my Instagram @ Inazuma.s550
7 Posts
Thanks for the feedback! So I'm hearing that even a small street intercooler upgrade is still recommended even if Temps don't usually get that high where Iive? Would a small street intercooler be felt in performance or anything?
I would definitely say that you “feel” it if you do pull after pull and the ECU doesnt cut timing. You dont “feel” extra hp/tq though unfortunately. A intercooler basically helps your engine w reliable operation, more consistent pulls, and you’re able to tune. Some tuners wont even work on your car if you have stock intercooler. Dealers wont void warranty bc they know its a weakness for the Eco. Hope this helps.

Reactions: NewSVO93

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I ran a street intercooler. It was a step up from the OEM intercooler, but I still had higher than desired charge temperatures.

·
Super Moderator
6,471 Posts
I heat soaked in Shelton ("the Ridge") ... .I am sure i beat on it harder than you, but it will soak there too.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I lived in Snohomish when I bought my Mustang and the first thing I did was upgrade to a full race Vortech Intercooler and charge pipes. The Vortech is top shelf but CVF is an excellent unit, it just wasn’t on the market when I went for my IC upgrade.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts