Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Appreciate the chance to converse and get advice.

I have a 2018 EB 10AT Convertible. And not much experience or tools.
I did (what I thought) was a bunch of research and opted for 2 mods so far:
1) Rousch CAI - Roush Mustang Cold Air Intake 422087 (18-21 EcoBoost)
2) MBRP Street Catback Exhaust - MBRP Mustang Black Series Cat-Back Exhaust with Y-Pipe; Street Version S7274BLK (15-21 EcoBoost Fastback w/o Active Exhaust)

I cheated by using the MBRP b/c it's for the fastback, but I loved the sound and the mechanic who I had do both mods just put a spacer for the exhaust to fit around the convertible under-bracing.

Both items were really well rated by customers, but maybe I trusted that too much.

Exhaust has a bit more drone than I'd ideally like, but otherwise good (any creative ideas here for the drone? mechanic says there's really no space for a resonator). What's really the issue for me is I'm wondering about the CAI. In some ways the car feels more peppy - but it feels like it takes a few more milliseconds to get peppy. I tried a KAM reset (did the battery thing). But overall, it feels like I took a step backward performance wise. I do have a Pedal Commander as well.

Talking to Bama Tune people, they say the lag will be significantly reduced with a proper tune. But then again they're salespeople. Do I instead go to a local tuner shop so they can dyno the thing and really confirm that everything is working as it should and then improve things further with a tune?

ANY HELP APPRECIATED!!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
I hate to say it being that you already spent the cash, but what you're noticing on the intake is probably accurate. We use the same factory airbox as a GT. If it flows enough air for a motor more than twice the size, it's not restricting air flow on our little motors. You already own the CAI though and it looks pretty, just keep it.

If you haven't already unplugged your ANC mic in the rear headliner, do that asap. That should fix your exhaust "drone" problem. It's not the exhaust creating drone, it's the Active Noise Cancellation system that's creating extra noise in an attempt to neutralize the added noise from your exhaust. Many of us run the same exhaust and drone isn't an issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whoa whoa whoa... no one ever mentioned the ANC to me! How does one do that? Does that apply to the convertible? Thanks!

Regarding the CAI, would a tune shift more tightly so that it gets up into higher RPMs quicker? Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I think I figured the ANC mic out. Thanks! And with a convertible I didn’t have to remove the map light module at all. I went in from the top. There’s the slightest drone now when coming to a stop but I think it’s better overall. I’ll replug it back in just to confirm. Still would appreciate thoughts on a Bama tune to remove CAI hesitancy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
P.S. I'm now reading elsewhere that the stock intake box, coupled with Airaid intake tube + high-flow filter may be better. And/or just do the drop-in filter might be plenty good for my purposes, and then get a tune down the road? Appreciate your thoughts.

I asked the dealer and they said they'd take the CAI back if I wanted to return it!

·
Registered
2020 Magnetic HPP EcoBoost
126 Posts
P.S. I'm now reading elsewhere that the stock intake box, coupled with Airaid intake tube + high-flow filter may be better. And/or just do the drop-in filter might be plenty good for my purposes, and then get a tune down the road? Appreciate your thoughts.

I asked the dealer and they said they'd take the CAI back if I wanted to return it!
I would return it, get all that money back and get the drop in filter and airaid tube plus you'll have extra money to put towards an intercooler which is a must have!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. Just to make sure... with the AirRaid, I won't have the seeming "drop" in HP like I did when I moved from stock to Rousch?
I presume intercooler is more needed for a Tune. So I'm thinking this:
1) Return air intake to stock but use a drop-in filter
2) When I'm ready to spend some money (that I just saved!), put in both the air-raid AND an intercooler, and do a Tune

Any recommended tunes - companies that have experience with the EB? I don't want to race - just have more pep.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks. Just to make sure... with the AirRaid, I won't have the seeming "drop" in HP like I did when I moved from stock to Rousch?
I presume intercooler is more needed for a Tune. So I'm thinking this:
1) Return air intake to stock but use a drop-in filter
2) When I'm ready to spend some money (that I just saved!), put in both the air-raid AND an intercooler, and do a Tune

Any recommended tunes - companies that have experience with the EB? I don't want to race - just have more pep.
In my opinion.....a bigger intercooler along with the highest octane fuel you have available will allow your car to perform at optimal performance even on stock tune. Low octane and high IAT2/Post intercooler temps kill performance. Sooooooo with the money you will be getting back will get you a nice drop in filter and a CVF street intercooler! As far as tuning get yourself a Cobb AP that will come with a stage 1 and 2 tune on it but then you can find a tuner that uses that platform for a pro tune. I am currently tuned by 5* running a 91 performance and transmission tune.

·
Registered
301 Posts
An intercooler is the first thing I'd do. You'll benefit from it bone stock, especially with summer here. It doesn't give you extra power per se, it keeps you from losing power, which is happening anytime charge temps get higher than about 100 degrees (which is pretty much all the time).

You can get a replacement/drop in filter for the stock airbox if you really want to spend money, but again, the stock airbox with paper filter is good enough for a 460 hp V8....you're not being held back by the OEM airbox. I'd save my money and run the complete OEM airbox setup. Spend the money elsewhere or save it.

Use that money towards a Ford Performance tune or Cobb Accessport and you'll see some actual gains.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks again guys. I was looking on Cobb website and they indicate you need a Cobb exhaust? I have an MBRP street cat-back. I presume just a decent exhaust over stock is all you really need? And they also indicate (for Stage 2 for example) you need a CAI but I'm presuming again I can just use stock with a nice high flow filter? I chatted briefly with Cobb online help desk and they said you'd want to do the intercooler AND the CAI for Stage 2 or beyond. Thoughts?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Cobb has "stages" in their pre-programmed tunes. Stage 1 "should" have a high flow filter, but meh. Stage 2 needs an intercooler. Stage 3 needs a downpipe.

Catback isn't going to net you any noticeable gains, just makes it sound a little better.

Stock diverter valve is just fine for all of it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks again guys. I was looking on Cobb website and they indicate you need a Cobb exhaust? I have an MBRP street cat-back. I presume just a decent exhaust over stock is all you really need? And they also indicate (for Stage 2 for example) you need a CAI but I'm presuming again I can just use stock with a nice high flow filter? I chatted briefly with Cobb online help desk and they said you'd want to do the intercooler AND the CAI for Stage 2 or beyond. Thoughts?
I've ran cobb stage 1 and 2 with Airaid tube and K&N drop in filter. I'll be switching to a dryflow filter soon. Not a big fan of oiled filters. I also run the CVF street intercooler and their H/C side pipes. My car came with Active exhaust so no resonator stock. I also run a driver side JLT catch can, put that on at 500 miles. Anyways....the car ran great with those mods and the stage 1 and 2 cobb tune. I have no interest in swapping the DP so I'll never run stage 3. My 5* 91 performance/trans tune is my go to now.

·
Registered
2017 PP MT DD
830 Posts
You don't "need" a Cobb exhaust. You don't need anything Cobb to work with the tunes a quality alternative is just fine. And no a CAI is not needed for stage 2 just the intercooler and a drop in filter like green or KnN will be more then enough

Please note that these stage 1 2 3 tunes are generic its one size fits all. Not all engines are the same and some like mine did not respond well to the generic tunes. However once I had it custom tuned it was literally a different car. I strongly advise getting it custom tuned.

Reactions: CedarTree72

·
Super Moderator
3,461 Posts
Thanks. What’s a good way to custom tune? Find a shop that supports Cobb for example?
take a look at TunePlus, Inc and PDTuning they're the two biggest e-mail tuners for our cars. You can alsways look for a local shop to do dyno-tuning with Cobb, but these guys are the ones most people go with.

Reactions: CedarTree72

·
Registered
2017 PP MT DD
830 Posts
Thanks. What’s a good way to custom tune? Find a shop that supports Cobb for example?
I went with Ryan and he tuned my car from the States while I drove it Australia.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Very cool. So I'm leaning towards the following:
  • Get in the the habit of using 93 octane
  • MBRP street cat-back (already installed) for the fun factor
  • Stock airbox including stock intake tube
  • Dry high-flow filter - worst case, it at least would help with sound a little bit I suspect
  • Intercooler - rough idea of cost for my mech to install? I don't have the tools or confidence not to blow up the engine
  • Cobb tune (1 or 2) and then eventually a custom tune
  • Should I be upgrading my spark plugs for all this? Or at least just be more religious about replacing them?
  • Sounds like people get the CAI for the nice looks / potentially increased turbo sound - frankly, I don't care for the jet engine sound myself - so this is not on my list
  • Might be months before I pull the trigger but it's fun thinking about it!
  • THANKS!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Great info, really amazed at the knowledge on this site. I am also a newbie, bought a 2020 premium last month. Will probably keep it stock, other than the intercooler which sounds like something that should be done. I know there’s info everywhere, but any suggestions on a particular brand? Looks like the bumper cover must come off for the install, so I suppose not an inexpensive mod. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts